paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: June 4th , 2018 - Re-release June 6, 2022
Purchase Links: Amazon UK - Hmv - Zavvi
Price: £22.00 (Amazon) - £22.99 (Hmv) - £21.99 (Zavvi)
Notes: New 4K restoration - Includes a 64 page booklet with brand new essays, and photographs, plus a rare print of an ariel photograph of the Mohne dam post raid, signed by the original 617 squadron

81O+oTSZXvL._SY445_.jpg

91nJ1pAzIHL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Limited Edition is 5 Discs
New 4K restoration
Includes the film in both 1.75:1 and 1.37:1 Aspect Ratios
First time on Blu-ray the film can be seen in widescreen
The original cinema release aspect ratio was 1.75:1

Previous DVD and Blu-ray releases Aspect ratio was 1.37:1 only

Most likely similar packaging to the limited editions of Third Man Collectors Edition and The Man Who Fell To Earth Collectors Edition

The restoration will be presented by Dan Snow and broadcast to cinemas across the country for one day only on May 17th

Last edited:
Love these Vintage Classics editions by StudioCanal... I wish they did more of them to be honest. I've never actually seen The Damn Busters, but the trailer looks fantastic!

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
Love these Vintage Classics editions by StudioCanal... I wish they did more of them to be honest. I've never actually seen The Damn Busters, but the trailer looks fantastic!
It's a classic war film and entertaining
It was the most popular film at the box office in 1955 in the UK.

The film music theme is also good

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
It's nice to see that Studio Canal have listened to the fans and presenting it in both 4/3 and 1:71. Clearly they listened to the feedback over the past month. Originally it was only going to be 4/3. Day one purchase even though I got the other copy a few years back. Serious amount of great material out there judging by the talking pictures channel....... There has been plenty of talk of a remake but I really don't see the point. The 50's version will be pretty close to the attitudes and politics of the time and being not long after the 2nd world war would be a lot more accurate without the curse of "Modern perspective" that kills a lot of these modern remakes dead.

• Thanks
Reactions: HUBMUSWELL
Some of the film footage had to be changed at the time as some of the actual bouncing bomb details and mission details was still classified when making the film

There has been some great documentaries made over the years and one done a few years ago was very good and very accurate to what did happen

If you get time watch the documentary Dambusters Declassified

Even with the techinical changes done when making the film its a fantastic war film

5 disc dvd blu ray what could the others be
I don't know yet
It's possible might be soundtrack cd like the previous 4 disc collectors editions from StudioCanal vintage series releases

Most likely will be 2 × Blu-ray +2 x DVD +CD

If not the above then could be 2 Blu-ray + 3 DVD or 1 Blu-ray + 3 DVD + CD

Complete Disc details I expect will be announced soon

@asda1994
It's 2 x Blu-ray and 3 x DVD

91nJ1pAzIHL._SL1500_.jpg

Collectors Edition
Widescreen edition 1.75 aspect ratio is on a separate disc
Blu-ray Discs
Blu-ray Disc 1 Film 1.37 aspect ratio + extras
Blu-ray Disc 2 Film in widescreen 1.75 aspect ratio

DVD Discs
Disc 1 film 1.37 aspect ratio
Disc 2 film 1.75 aspect ratio
Disc 3 extras

Note
The standard Blu-ray Edition is 1 disc only aspect ratio 1.37 + extras

So if you want to watch this at the original aspect ratio of 1.75 you will need to purchase the 5 disc collector's edition

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to see the special cinema showing on Thursday night at the Odeon and I can safely say this is a superb print. At least the 4k showing I saw was. Interestingly and it was obvious all the matt lines on the special effects had been tidied up so the film looked as flawless as it's ever going to look.
As a footnote I've had to order this off zavvi as they won't deliver this to N.Ireland...