lenticularis

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
UK
Release date: October 11, 2021
Purchase links: Networkonair - Amazon UK - HMV
Price: £11.50 (Network) - £12.99 (Amazon) - £14.99 (HMV)

DEOL.PNG

Last edited:
The definitive British horror film and a worthy successor to his work on the Universal Monsters movies, screen icon Bela Lugosi takes centre stage as a demented scientist on a killing spree in The Dark Eyes of London – the first British film to receive the H censor rating for being "Horrific for Public Exhibition". Adapted from a novel by Edgar Wallace, this landmark British film is featured here as a brand-new High Definition remaster from original film elements in its original theatrical aspect ratio.

A series of mysterious drownings in the Thames set Scotland Yard on the ghoulish trail of one of London's most sinister murderers!

SPECIAL FEATURES
[] Brand-new audio commentary with Kim Newman and Stephen Jones
[] Bela Lugosi in Britain: Kim Newman and Stephen Jones discuss Lugosi's work in the UK at the Edgar Wallace pub in London
[] US titles
[] US trailer
[] Image gallery
[] Limited edition booklet written by Adrian Smith
[] Limited edition O-card (Blu-ray exclusive)
[] Limited edition poster postcards (Blu-ray exclusive)

Reactions: Grendel and sinusR2
happy days. :) another great network release for the back catalogue of one of cinema's greats. :vamp:

i'm a big fan of classic (e.g. old! films), but this is one i didn't know, although i'd heard about it on podcasts. finally watched this and it is a real curio. essentially a dark murder tale with some horror elements, there are a couple of moments which still impact, due to how matter of fact they are. it's good to see Lugosi being given more to do than just be strange and Eastern European - although he does that here as well. good performance, too, from Hugh Williams as the no nonsense, much more modern style detective on his trail.

anyway, the release. the slipcase is perfectly fine, with a matt feel to it, but with colourful spot gloss. the vertical marks in various places in the OP marketing shot are also on the slip. i like it. see shots under the spoiler:

the amaray is good, with vintage posters on the inner art. see under the spoiler for the back credits and inside artwork:

the artcards that come with it are great, and have a great reverse side of character shots - but don't look at these before you watch the film if you want to keep a twist a secret (and, yes, it is a terrible photo, for which apologies):

all in all, a very worthwhile release. :thumbs: