The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (also referenced as Skyrim) is a role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It is scheduled to be released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Skyrim is set two-hundred years after the events of Oblivion in the eponymous land of Skyrim. The country has erupted into civil war after the assassination of its King. Concurrently, the god Alduin, which takes the form of a massive dragon, arises to destroy the world. The player character is the last living Dovahkiin (Dragonborn), and must fend off Alduin and save Skyrim from certain destruction.

images

Elder-Scrolls-5-Skyrim-Waterfall.jpg

Elder-Scrolls-5-Skyrim-Woman.jpg

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2qqnTNGhrtQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2qqnTNGhrtQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>​

Last edited by a moderator:
Update 1.5 is here!

NEW FEATURES

New cinematic kill cameras for projectile weapons and spells
New kill moves and animations for melee weapons
Shadows on grass available (PC)
Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value
Improved visual transition when going underwater
Improved distance LOD transition for snowy landscapes

BUG FIXES

General crash fixes and memory optimizations
Fixed issue with Deflect Arrows perk not calculating properly
In “A Cornered Rat,” the death of certain NPCs no longer blocks progression
Fixed issue where Farkas would not give Companion’s quests properly
Fixed crash when loading saves that rely on data that is no longer being loaded
Followers sneak properly when player is sneaking
Fixed issue with weapon racks not working properly in Proudspire Manor
Arrows and other projectiles that were stuck in objects in the world now clean up properly
Fixed issue where “Rescue Mission” was preventing “Taking Care of Business” from starting properly
Fixed issue where certain NPCs would fail to become Thieves Guild fences
Fixed issue in “Diplomatic Immunity” where killing all the guards in the Thalmor Embassy before starting the quest would break progress
In “Hard Answers,” picking up the dwarven museum key after completing the quest, no longer restarts the quest
Killing Viola before or after “Blood on the Ice” no longer blocks progression
Fixed issue where Calixto would fail to die properly in “Blood on the Ice”
In “Waking Nightmare” fixed occasional issue where Erandur would stop pathing properly
Fixed issue where letters and notes with random encounters would appear blank
Fixed rare issue where dialogue and shouts would improperly play
Lydia will now offer marriage option after player purchases Breezehome in Whiterun
Fixed issue where if player manually mined ore in Cidhna Mine, jail time would not be served
Fixed rare issue with skills not increasing properly
Fixed issue where the Headsman’s Axe did not gain proper buff from Barbarian perk
In “A Night to Remember” it is no longer possible to kill Ysolda, Ennis or Senna before starting the quest
Fixed issue with the ebony dagger having a weapon speed that was too slow
Fixed issue with “The Wolf Queen Awakened” where backing out of a conversation with Styrr too soon would block progress
The third level of the Limbsplitter perk now properly improves all battle axes
Fixed a rare issue where Sanguine Rose would not work properly
In “Tending the Flames” King Olaf’s Verse will no longer disappear from explosions

I may finally have to pick this up soon.

You won't regret it mate!

I picked it up fairly late too, and almost didn't pick it up at all... but after a few friends kept going on about it I finally took the plunge.

I haven't been on it for a while though, but I plan to very soon as I've almost completed the main story missions. :D

You won't regret it mate!

I picked it up fairly late too, and almost didn't pick it up at all... but after a few friends kept going on about it I finally took the plunge.

I haven't been on it for a while though, but I plan to very soon as I've almost completed the main story missions. :D

I've just been trying to wait until the PS3 version isn't quite so broken.

Odd, so far I've racked up close to 90 hrs. of playtime on the PS3 version and haven't had any big issues. I guess I've been lucky so far. I had kinda of a funny glitch occur yesterday afternoon where I couldn't wait or fast travel because guards were pursuing me (even though I clearly had lost them). I went ahead and finished the quest i was working on and made my way back to the hold that I received a bounty in and sure enough i was met by a bounty collector before i made it to the city. Paid him off and it did the trick.

Currently going through the Dark Brotherhood storyline and am close to the end of it. It's been a pretty cool game overall. The scope and detail of this game is absolutely astounding. Highly recommended, it you're into RPGs.

I still have decided to hold off a bit on Skyrim, especially now that my job is back to full flow, and i'll be working 6 days a week very soon. Plus, i have a Vita on the way i'm gonna be addicted to for a bit,.

New Skyrim DLC News: Great Info

Per GS:

The first Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim downloadable content will focus on snow elves and crossbows, according to information unearthed by a Bethesda forum member. Files found within a folder titled "DLC01" from the latest Skyrim patch mention several terms, including "Snow Elves," "Snow Elf Prince," and various crossbow animations.

What's a snow elf? The Skyrim wiki entry points out that snow elves were at one time a proud race but were driven from their homes by the Nords. As for the elf prince, this character led his kinsmen in battle against the Nords and died at their hands.

Skyrim features various types of bows but, like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion before it, does not include a crossbow of any kind. Other information revealed by the patch files indicates that the DLC will include new vampire feeding animations.

Just yesterday, Bethesda indicated that the first DLC for Skyrim could be announced as early as next week. When it does arrive, it will be available exclusively on the Xbox 360 for the first 30 days.

Dawnguard DLC

‘Dawnguard’ and the second Skyrim DLC pack will be available first on Xbox 360 as a timed exclusive for 30 days. The expansion adds a new vampire-centric storyline, crossbows, and new enemies. Expect to see the DLC availalbe on PS3 next month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any word on this?
Last I heard was that they were planning to scrap the release for PS3, as it was proving to be too problematic. A quick Google search shows that Bethesda announced just yesterday (Monday) that they're actually still working on it... Pete Hines, Vice President of PR and Marketing at Bethesda recently tweeted "Dawnguard for PS3 is not cancelled, still working on it. The process of "trying things" just isn't a quick one."

Reactions: Necroscope
Skyrim is PC Gamer's #1 Game of All Time

That brings us to the roll call of games in the Bethesda family that made the list, including The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ranking #1! Amongst PC Gamer’s Top 100, these games were selected by the magazine’s editors:

http://www.bethblog.com/2013/07/23/pc-gamers-top-100/

Um.. What? It's a console port to PC, which you have to mod almost everything to make it fun. What a disgrace..