The Exorcist (1973) - 50th Anniversary (4K Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

frankfish44

Cule
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Release date: September 19, 2023
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $34.99
Notes: 2 Discs -Theatrical Cut and Extended Director's Cut on separate UHD discs

6548516_sd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment If you try to pre order online
You will get this message
This item is currently unavailable for online purchase The item was not added to your cart.

At least the discs are not stacked.
But do they have all the extras of the two BDs? If not, this is a travesty for anyone buying this one and only edition, which I usually laugh at, but find myself in such a position with this particular movie.

At least the discs are not stacked.
But do they have all the extras of the two BDs? If not, this is a travesty for anyone buying this one and only edition, which I usually laugh at, but find myself in such a position with this particular movie.
USA 4K releases are just 2 UHD discs + Digital Code

The UHD discs do not have all the extras that's on the existing Blu-ray discs
Just the movie with some audio commentaries and introduction by William Friedkin on disc 2

USA members that don't have any of the previous Blu-ray releases get the UK 4K+Blu-ray release or get a release from another country in Europe that is 4K+Blu-ray
Anyone who has the previous 40th Anniversary 3 discs amaray Blu-ray release you not missing any extras
Mondo X Blu-ray SteelBook has same discs as 40th Anniversary

Back of Jcard of Standard USA 4K Amaray

Jcard Back.jpg

Last edited:
There will be a UCE for US...

The Exorcist (50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) Amazon product

That's not a USA release

It's the UK Ultimate Collector's Edition import listing on Amazon USA
Amazon UK ASIN number B0CC35LPYF

Amazon USA Website
Product Details
  • Media Format ‏ : ‎ Import

Amazon USA have been listing UK/EU import releases since around 2022 as pre orders
They get listed as Amazon as a seller in regards to doing a pre order but on or after release date when actually in stock at amazon warehouse you will see the third party seller name be listed instead

This is why the price is high as it's a import listing

It will still though be shipped by Amazon US as a item fulfilled by them

be interesting to know if the BB release is glossy
Screenshot_2023-09-17-13-59-52-692_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg
Screenshot_2023-09-17-13-59-55-321_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg

It doesn't look like its glossy.
Matte finish methinks.
This is from r/steelbooks on Reddit. Best Buy release.
Not my pictures.
The pictures have had contrast & saturation lifted and gamma curve raised. I'd suspect it comes across a little duller than this snapshot.
Still, I don't think I mind it overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: nekromantik
That'll be a hard no then. US matte. UK spot gloss.
If best Buy SteelBook is not spot gloss or full gloss finish
USA SteelBook then would be satin finish not matte if it was manufactured in a scanavo north america plant
Satin and matte are different varnishes even though can look very similar to some SteelBook collector's

USA SteelBook can only be a Zero finish or matte finish if the SteelBook was made in a Scanavo european plant
Scanavo North America plant don't use Matte or Zero varnish but do use the other finishes
This is why you see scanavo website list SteelBooks releases made in north america as been either Satin/Spot Gloss/Full Gloss and SteelBooks made in Europe listed as been either Matte or Zero or Spot Gloss or Full Gloss

Satin and matte are not the same paint varnish like when you paint a wall in your home they have a different finish

If best Buy SteelBook is not spot gloss or full gloss finish
USA SteelBook then would be satin finish not matte if it was manufactured in a scanavo north america plant
Satin and matte are different varnishes even though can look very similar to some SteelBook collector's

USA SteelBook can only be a Zero finish or matte finish if the SteelBook was made in a Scanavo european plant
Scanavo North America plant don't use Matte or Zero varnish but do use the other finishes
This is why you see scanavo website list SteelBooks releases made in north america as been either Satin/Spot Gloss/Full Gloss and SteelBooks made in Europe listed as been either Matte or Zero or Spot Gloss or Full Gloss

Satin and matte are not the same paint varnish like when you paint a wall in your home they have a different finish
There are pictures right above here that I took as screenshots from reddit.
These do look satin more than matte. You could be right. I like it but still a weak effort when you consider what could have been done.

Last edited: