Paris - France
Release date: May 26, 2014
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £18.31

10900314-2664346962834428.jpg

10900314-1984346962845000.jpg
10900314-1094346962842498.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In announcement news today, the big news is that Kino Lorber has just announced that they’re working on a new 50th Anniversary Blu-ray and DVD release of Sergio Leone’s iconic spaghetti western The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1967). The disc, expected to be street this summer (specific street date TBA) will include both the original U.S. Theatrical Cut in HD for the first time ever, as well as the Extended Cut, both mastered from 4K transfers. The 2-disc set will also include a huge slate of extras. Here’s the breakdown from Kino:

Disc One:

• 4K transfer of the Original U.S. Theatrical Cut
  • New audio commentary by film historian Tim Lucas
  • “Trailers from Hell” with Ernest Dickerson
  • Newly Restored 2.0 Mono Audio
  • M.O.S. Deleted Scene of Blondie in the desert finding skeletons
  • Trailers for Sergio Leone Westerns
  • Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
  • English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Audio
  • AND MORE – to be announced
Disc Two:

• 4K transfer of the Extended Cut
  • Newly Restored 2.0 Mono Audio
  • Audio commentary by acclaimed film historian Richard Schickel
  • Audio commentary by noted cultural historian Christopher Frayling
  • Leone’s West making of documentary
  • The Leone Style: On Sergio Leone featurette
  • The Man Who Lost The Civil War: Civil War documentary
  • Reconstruction The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  • II Maestro: Ennio Morricone and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly featurette
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Original U.S. Theatrical Trailer
  • Original French Theatrical Trailer
  • English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Audio
  • Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Nice one - thanks for that!

Man, I can only hope that this new release will be region free and affordable. This is one of my favorite movies ever, and to be able to watch it in HD, without that increcibly bad yellow/orange teal, that would be FANTASTIC.

Instead of Filmarena focusing their time on Unbroken, they should release four editions of this for the 50th anniversary. I guarantee it would sell a hell of a lot more copies.

giphy.gif

• Thanks
Reactions: milky and harry
So basically this is just the UK steelbook release with the yellow corrected. As far as I'm aware both A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars more have been remastered but so far an Italian release only.

Ordered this when it recently "returned" on the Zavvi website on 2 for £12 but having heard nothing from them since and news on this reissue, I've since cancelled.

Ordered this when it recently "returned" on the Zavvi website on 2 for £12 but having heard nothing from them since and news on this reissue, I've since cancelled.
Same here - i cancelled mine this morning though, after weeks of getting automatic messages regarding them "looking into it." I too am hoping the Kino release is region free, but i would have liked this movie in a steelbook TBH. Still, have to wait and see what materialises with this one.........whether Zavvi put more up for under £10 in the future, and what the word is on the Kino release, once it IS released.

Ennio Morricone was simply the greatest film composer ever in my book. So many films. Everything from Death Rides a Horse to The Thing.....
Only last night I was watching Two Mules for Sister Sara, another one of his iconic scores. His only regret, he never worked with Clint Eastwood on a film score.

i just watched this film for the very first time a few week ago and love it, score is great.....on another note i also just learned of this steelbook but i guess i'm too late to get a copy at decent price........

i just watched this film for the very first time a few week ago and love it, score is great.....on another note i also just learned of this steelbook but i guess i'm too late to get a copy at decent price........
Pre-owned (i.e. unsealed) going for about £30, sealed going for about £50, so it would appear based on a quick search at a certain online auction site...

I was fortunate enough to pick up a copy at the time of original release.

Reactions: tono06