Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
3.29 star(s) Rating: 3.29/5 7 Votes
Title: The Gray Man

Genre: Action, Thriller

Director: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo

Cast: Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Wagner Moura, Jessica Henwick, Dhanush, Julia Butters, Alfre Woodard, Billy Bob Thornton, Regé-Jean Page, Eme Ikwuakor, Scott Haze, Deobia Oparei, Daz Crawford, Robert Kazinsky, Jimmy Jean-Louis, Aishwarya Sonar, Callan Mulvey

Plot: When the CIA's top asset — his identity known to no one — uncovers agency secrets, he triggers a global hunt by assassins set loose by his ex-colleague.

Absolutely awesome movie, haven't seen such great action scenes for a long while, from the times of the last Bourne film, and the Prague shootout here is bigger and longer. No one used a machine gun like that on the street since Gabriel Shear in Swordfish (my favorite).
Sure there's some CGI, especially in places where they couldn't really blow up a train, helicopter, or building, on the streets of Prague or near its historic mansion.
Most of the things were filmed for real, or at least look that way.
The only good scene I remember out of the whole Marvel cartoon series, was the attack on Nick Fury's bulletproof SUV in Winter Soldier, also a Russo brothers movie, so think that level of cool.

Glad the assholish looking Captain America is playing a fitting character, never liked him.
Gosling on the other hand is great, in ultra Drive mode!

Hope they release it on disc, still waiting for 6 Underground, Extraction, and The Old Guard.

Reactions: Noodles
Thought gosling and Evans was great.
Goslings dry humour and Evans c*unty humour worked well for the type of film.
Action was excellent but that’s about it.

Same old story (reminding me of goldeneye at times), ropey CGI and Ana was unfortunately a letdown.

Entertaining but nothing special. Thankful gosling and Evans kinda half saved it

What an utter waste of 200m.
I know McQuarrie and Cruise had a good laugh at that terrible plane/parachute scene.

Watched this but could not finish it - just not interesting at all in storyline and action sequences. A whole lot of talent on screen but surprised by the lack of chemistry between characters. I just didn't find any character interesting enough to root for and went into this without any expectation or knowledge of the plot. It disappointed me big time. I liked Red Notice and GoldenEye better.

Just got done watching this. Loved it! Great action and chemistry between the cast. Gosling's humour was dry and perfectly timed as always. I'd happily welcome a sequel :D

Just watched it tonight as well. Really enjoyed it thanks to the brilliant work of Gosling and Evans. They were perfect.
A couple slight nitpicks, mostly the same stuff that everyone else is saying. The Parachute scene was done better in Eraser... and that came out almost 30 years ago!!! like come on Russos.

But overall I thought it was a ton of fun. I really hope they make more.

I already posted 5 stars in the "Rate The Movie..." thread and gave it the thumbs up "Loved It" rating on Netflix.

Yeah I love this movie! I'm not a critical reviewer type person. I either like a movie or I don't. I don't quibble over CGI or is it real or the direction.

To me this is an all out action film. All of the Prague stuff for me was amazing.

The only thing I had a problem with was the fact that I watched it on Netflix on a Basic subscription so a lot of the action in the darker scenes are all murky and hard to see clearly and looked worse than a VHS copy recorded off of another VHS copy. All of the Prague stuff was clear and bright though. Yet I still loved it!

Watching stuff on Amazon Prime is always clear and the sound is much better. Much better quality.

So I'd love to get this on Blu-ray if it's ever released.

Anybody else watch this with Netflix Basic and maybe had that make this less enjoyable for you?

Also, I read there are 11 books in this series with a 12th on the way so, yeah, bring on the sequels!

Just finished this, it was ok but that's it. Gosling was great, Evans was ok, Armas was just there. For throwback films like this to work nowadays you need to find a special ingredient like they've managed with the John Wick films otherwise you end up with this which is a bit meh, enjoyable enough but pretty forgettable

6/10