Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 21, 2011
United Kingdom
Release date: 10th November 2014
Price:
Purchase link:
Zavvi (Live Friday 9/26)
Notes: Includes exclusive disc of bonus content.

image.jpg

10997915-1410880951-433567.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Taken for the review section on Forrest Gump Diamond Luxe Edition [USA] on amazon.com

The Diamond Luxe (WB) or Magno (Sony) is a completely new type of collectible disc package. Pictures and video can’t do it justice. The trade name is actually NEO™. I invented NEO™ along with PixelChrome™ the hyper glossy/ reflective specialty graphic substrate that it is constructed from, about 18 months ago here in my Los Angeles design studio not far from Sony Pictures. SPE is releasing the first example of NEO with Amazing Spiderman 2 at Best Buy on 8/19. The finished composite material is .100” thick and is made up of approximately 15 layers of stuff. It took about a year to refine the product to within NASA tolerances and build the equipment that makes the revolutionary manufacturing process possible. One of the key challenges was to create a precision snap fit for the disc without using a hub. The case is kept securely closed with dual neodymium magnets embedded in the material. NEO is being manufactured by DISC, the specialty packaging company that I work for, in Long Island, NY. More images and a decent 3D animation of NEO can be found here: [...] . My goal was to create a completely new solution, capable of displaying celebrated imagery in the richest way possible, to create a case that is cinematic, timeless, and obscures the artwork as little as possible (both inside and out). No hubs, no trays, no borders, no cloudy plastic to look through. I also wanted it to be made from anything other than cheap molded plastic or recycled tin cans. Great movies deserve better! Not to slight Steelbooks etc, it is a great product and is still a good fit for some titles, but it is well past a decade old. I have also observed over and over that printing on recycled scrap metal drives people in this business crazy with its limitations and poor color consistency

• Informative
Reactions: dirtyoak
Thanks guys! Gonna grab one of these at the end of the month. I can't see that they'll sell out by then, but I do think in a few months they'll be a bit harder to get. 2,000 isn't that high a print run, and I think these will catch on one day :)

Really impressed with the design. Sadly, mine was completely ruined by the glue under the j-card. Looks dreadful now. Had the same problem with my copy of "Gremlins".

Reactions: spass
Really impressed with the design. Sadly, mine was completely ruined by the glue under the j-card. Looks dreadful now. Had the same problem with my copy of "Gremlins".

What was the problem, did the glue leave some damage?

Was just about to post a complaint about this. Received mine yesterday. I love this packaging, think they've got everything right. But the glue that's used to attach the j-card is impossible to get off the NEO case.

Pisses me off actually. "Hey, we got this new cool packaging. You're gonna love it" Then they decide to use some kind of super glue that completely ruins the product. :p

Hmmmm

Reactions: Sigill
Was just about to post a complaint about this. Received mine yesterday. I love this packaging, think they've got everything right. But the glue that's used to attach the j-card is impossible to get off the NEO case.

Pisses me off actually. "Hey, we got this new cool packaging. You're gonna love it" Then they decide to use some kind of super glue that completely ruins the product. :p

Hmmmm
The glue used is a pain I agree
With Batman for some reason they used 2 clear sticky tabs instead of glue to keep jcard in place and was easy to remove they should use this for all the neo cases instead of using the glue

The glue does though come off fully if you use a fibre cloth and give the cloth some slight moisture to rub the glue off and then give the neo case a wipe with the cloth to remove any left over residue marks

Note it looks as if the neo case is marked with scratches and other residue sometimes but with a rub of a fibre cloth they are gone
You will see this on the front and inside but luckily it does clean perfectly

• Helpful Post
Reactions: spass

Hmmmm

The glue used is a pain I agree
With Batman for some reason they used 2 clear sticky tabs instead of glue to keep jcard in place and was easy to remove they should use this for all the neo cases instead of using the glue

The glue does though come off fully if you use a fibre cloth and give the cloth some slight moisture to rub the glue off and then give the neo case a wipe with the cloth to remove any left over residue marks

Note it looks as if the neo case is marked with scratches and other residue sometimes but with a rub of a fibre cloth they are gone
You will see this on the front and inside but luckily it does clean perfectly
I see, it's the usual too much glue being put on! It is annoying, I don't know why they do as the item is sealed it's not like the card is going to go anywhere! I guess as long as you have got the time you can completely get rid off the marks but it sounds like a bit of a pain having to clean it up.