The Handmaiden (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Korea]

Feb 1, 2012
Netherlands
Release date: July 30, 2018
Purchase links: Plainarchive: Quarter Slip - Full Slip Type A - Full Slip Type B - Triple Pack
Also available at: Novamedia | Yesasia | Kimchidvd
Price: $41.79 (Quarter Slip) - $49.49 (Type A) - $47.29 (Type B) - $132.29 (Triple Pack)
Notes: Steelbook has full gloss finish.

0739f3bf9e646fdab48d8bb2cc875bd0_400x.pngA_d7d29116-6c9f-4435-b5f8-24e08bf62914_800x.pngB_1fe50d36-bd8c-4b13-b741-4e309e71bf32_800x.png63f46c13d79cdcc72724a492d0251f81_4141b206-de5e-47ab-9bd8-9088f11b1ba8_600x.jpg
296c50f7f0968f494741b3d3e1787a17_391ac69c-87dd-4544-9cf2-d11e123e53e3_800x.png
25daffc5840d2ae620f7230a9a15a11c_cccc3e52-5bca-4cae-be1f-1edfc3a85a0a_600x.png
B_588723d0-cf79-4b3f-b962-5e33479a1080_600x.png
A_62e7fb01-e3f3-43aa-83f7-4fa262af3e95_600x.png
B_ef31ea8c-54d6-4033-8d57-904c95a95f43_800x.png
8f5c112f81062b38c631efbacfd5fe2d_7c76436a-80a6-4b4a-87cb-1a1e16e88cfd_800x.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Super elegant fine art style courtesy Fraser Gillespie … from silkscreen print designs for Secret Cinema X … although the colouring of either of the variants might've suited the slips better:-
upload_2018-6-22_21-5-4.png
upload_2018-6-22_21-6-28.png
upload_2018-6-22_21-5-39.png
upload_2018-6-22_21-10-5.png

Steelbook designs:-

Screen+Shot+2017-09-12+at+13.24.09.png

1.jpg

Not a fan of the digipack artwork - reminding me too much of the wallpaper I had in my bedroom back in the day.

Some of his other work can be seen here:-
http://www.fgillespie.co.uk/

i've still never managed to get to see this, which bugs me as so many people whose opinions i respect laud it (including above!). i have no doubt it will be very good when i finally do. @virkia i also missed the Secret Cinema X when this was shown (was out of town), which was a killer, as i usually go. :grumpy:

another one of those releases i wasn't in the market for, but have to admit i'm impressed with the care that has gone into this design, package, finishing :wow:. Plain having a great year. :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: hatredhorror
i've still never managed to get to see this, which bugs me as so many people whose opinions i respect laud it (including above!). i have no doubt it will be very good when i finally do. @virkia i also missed the Secret Cinema X when this was shown (was out of town), which was a killer, as i usually go. :grumpy:

another one of those releases i wasn't in the market for, but have to admit i'm impressed with the care that has gone into this design, package, finishing :wow:. Plain having a great year. :thumbs:
Yes, looks like a v. classy release.
As for the film: haven't seen it either - old story: too many films, not enough time - but have the Amaray in my basket at HMV ("5 for GBP 30" promo) although the 2-disc Special Edition w/ extended cut for 13 quid sounds more interesting (despite the "wallpaper artwork").

Strange packaging/spines for the UK Special Edition making me think that the Extended Cut will not be released as a standalone and that this will be the only way to get it (if unwilling to cough up for this far superior edition from S. Korea).
Pics courtesy BR.com:-
IMG_0992.jpg

n8ylNHhh.jpg

4CtgWdRh.jpg
5IGD0tuh.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Watched this last night for the first time in anticipation of this release. Absolutely love the PA packaging. But this is now an easy pass for me. We all have different tastes, and for me this flick is overrated.

Watched this last night for the first time in anticipation of this release. Absolutely love the PA packaging. But this is now an easy pass for me. We all have different tastes, and for me this flick is overrated.

Which version did you see? I personally think theatrical was better than the extended version and would recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to go with theatrical first time through!

Which version did you see? I personally think theatrical was better than the extended version and would recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to go with theatrical first time through!
I guess the theatrical version, just a standard rental. It was okay, but not a film I would revisit. I can see why it has a following, and certainly don’t mean to detract from those that love it. My budget means I can only really afford to buy movies I love. And the New Zealand dollar makes this an incredibly expensive hobby.

Sorry you didn't like it. I love the film and have seen it twice. Definitely a return to form for Park Chan Wook after Stoker.
I think this is his best movie overall. I've watched both cuts twice.
I actually really liked Stoker. Not a patch on previous works, or obviously this but decent nonetheless

• Thanks
Reactions: lolwut
Fully agree with @Last Lizard. I watched the extended version first and did not like it because the pacing was wanting and the comical balance threw the film's eroticism off. I thought I was one of the few who didn't like the film.

I decided to rewatch on the theatrical version a month later and surprisingly enjoyed it, even though I already knew the plot. Never before had two versions of the same film given me such huge different reactions. So I wondered how much more I would have enjoyed it if I had not watched the extended version first. Really regretted it.

I wish in future releases all directors add in their recommendation on which version of their film to watch first. :naughty:

Last edited:
Fully agree with @Last Lizard. I watched the extended version first and did not like it because the pacing was wanting and the comical balance threw the film's eroticism off. I thought I was one of the few who didn't like the film.

I decided to rewatch on the theatrical version a month later and surprisingly enjoyed it, even though I already knew the plot. Never before had two versions of the same film given me such huge different reactions. So I wondered how much more I would have enjoyed it if I had not watched the extended version first. Really regretted it.

I wish in future releases all directors add in their recommendation on which version of their film to watch first. :naughty:

Interestingly Park insisted that this was definitely the extended cut and not his own director's cut. I think that tells you something anyway in that he seemed satisfied with the original version and domestic enthusiasm for the film encouraged them to give it another cinema run with the extended version.

I agree I'd always like to know which version they recommend if they haven't done so already. You would assume they'd want you to see more but longer cuts really don't always do the film justice!

• Helpful Post
Reactions: lolwut
Interestingly Park insisted that this was definitely the extended cut and not his own director's cut. I think that tells you something anyway in that he seemed satisfied with the original version and domestic enthusiasm for the film encouraged them to give it another cinema run with the extended version.

I agree I'd always like to know which version they recommend if they haven't done so already. You would assume they'd want you to see more but longer cuts really don't always do the film justice!

Oh yeah, I only knew that after I had watched the extended cut. I mistakenly assumed that the extended cut was the director's choice.

I generally avoid reading anything about a movie beforehand in case I get a sense of what it is about. I like to watch a movie blind and be surprised. So it would be good if releases come with an insert saying which version the director recommends. Issuers cannot assume that we would find out which version we should watch first.

I guess the best way from now is to choose in this order: Director's Cut, Theatrical Cut, Extended Cut. :)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Last Lizard

Same here, the theatrical cut is my favorite as well. I'm glad I saw it first. Otherwise I presumably wouldn't have liked the movie as much as I do now. Granted there're some interesting additions in the extended cut, but the rearrangement of many scenes were not to my liking. It's still worth a watch, of course, but I won't watch the extended cut again and rather stick to the theatrical cut, which is just about perfect.

Which version to watch first?
As the man himself said about the two versions of his film … Park Chan-wook interviewed by Daniela Costa of After Ellen (September, 2016)
"Please note that I’m not referring to my extended version as a director’s cut. Someone might see it and find it to be very lengthy and boring. Probably a lot of the audience may think that, in my mind. But what this extended version is all about is actually for those people who have seen the release version, for them to find even more details to enjoy. It’s not really for, I don’t think, an audience who’s never seen the film to find the film through the extended version. It might be a burdensome engagement."
http://www.afterellen.com/movies/51...n-wook-handmaiden-romantic-extended-version/2

Which version to watch first?
As the man himself said about the two versions of his film … Park Chan-wook interviewed by Daniela Costa of After Ellen (September, 2016)
"Please note that I’m not referring to my extended version as a director’s cut. Someone might see it and find it to be very lengthy and boring. Probably a lot of the audience may think that, in my mind. But what this extended version is all about is actually for those people who have seen the release version, for them to find even more details to enjoy. It’s not really for, I don’t think, an audience who’s never seen the film to find the film through the extended version. It might be a burdensome engagement."
http://www.afterellen.com/movies/51...n-wook-handmaiden-romantic-extended-version/2

Park should have put the disclaimer right at the start of the extended cut. :naughty:

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
I think this is his best movie overall. I've watched both cuts twice.
I actually really liked Stoker. Not a patch on previous works, or obviously this but decent nonetheless

Oh I liked Stoker for the cinematography and directing, but yeah it's not a masterpiece like his other films.