The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Ext (3D+2D Blu-ray Jumbo SteelBook) (Future Shop Excl.) [Canada]

Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, ON
Release date: November 18, 2014
Purchase link: FutureShop.ca
Price: $44.99
Group Buy: Drum18

Notes: 2,000 units, Matte finish
Printed for Canada only.

HDOS EE_JUMBO STEELBK_GLAM (9-2).jpg

Last edited:
This was the shortest movie of all the releases of LOTR series, the extended cut has 25 add minutes so looking very forward to re-watching it :)
This is the copy to get, love the Dragon as front Artwork.
Pre-Ordered just hope this time FS will package it well(hopefully it is thick enough so it won't fit in a cardboard envelope without any padding...will take pictures for Zerox if not wrapped properly so they can have proof of the shipping issue.
Watched Ext. Ed yesterday and didn't really get a whole lot out of the new scenes. Not on the level of the LotR extensions IMO. The ones dealing with
Thrain
were the best. Not sure why those didn't make the theatrical version.

Last edited:
Watched Ext. Ed yesterday and didn't really get a whole lot out of the new scenes. Not on the level of the LotR extensions IMO. The ones dealing with
Thrain
were the best. Not sure why does didn't make the theatrical version.

it is still 25 minutes of add footage and not just 5 or 7 that are often done(ie: Snow White and the Huntsman)...will be happy to see almost half hour more of this movie.

it is still 25 minutes of add footage and not just 5 or 7 that are often done(ie: Snow White and the Huntsman)...will be happy to see almost half hour more of this movie.
It didn't really feel like an extra 25 minutes worth of footage to be honest. I was constantly checking the Scene Selector so I could see which was Extended and which was New. Can't wait to dive into the Bonus Disks however ;) That's one of the best parts of these extended editions

Reactions: Drum18
You just mentioned that you didn't like the Matte look in All You Need Is Kill, do know that this steel will be Matte Finish also.

I don't mind a quality matte finish, but if you pay £57 for a Steelbook that has been released as a spot glossed special edition you would expect something a little bit special. This is rather flat.

I don't mind a quality matte finish, but if you pay £57 for a Steelbook that has been released as a spot glossed special edition you would expect something a little bit special. This is rather flat.

Yes Edge Of Tomorrow did get a nice Asian Spot Gloss release, but it wasn't special edition, more than one release had the spot gloss. Also, your statement of All You Need Is Kill being Matte Dull Finish is not based on facts as nobody has a copy in hands yet... with all the different points due to it being an exclusive limited Edition Amazon japan with original title and Custom Made Disks, I believe it is worth the money...but like we've been saying to each his own.

Last edited:
Thrain
were the best. Not sure why those didn't make the theatrical version.
Could you please confirm to me the audio specifications on the 2D and 3D discs please, especially for french language (for english one it seems to be 7.1 DTS-HD on each discs)?
Thank you

Could you please confirm to me the audio specifications on the 2D and 3D discs please, especially for french language (for english one it seems to be 7.1 DTS-HD on each discs)?
Thank you
I don't have this 3D version, so I really can't comment on what it has. I have the 2D USA release. If no one answers this, I'll see what audio is has later when I get home.

I was already billed today, 4 days before release date, wonder if they will ship on monday so I can have it on release date...

I like online store that ships before release date for you to have it on the day it is released(taking into consideration shipping delays)...but not every store does it.