The Huntsman: Winter's War (4K UHD Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: August 23rd, 2016
Purchase link: The Huntsman: Winter's War
Price: $29.99

025192371332;maxHeight=800;maxWidth=800.jpg

Last edited:
Still not convinced 4K is the way to go. I have 4K versions of the Divergent series and I havent noticed much difference between this and blu-ray. No wow factor at all. 3D on the other hand has the wow factor. It adds to the movie making you feel like you are in it. Anyway I am not going to be rushing out to buy 4K when I can get a 3D version instead.

I think many people are so caught up in resolution that it actually takes away from the film. Just watch the damn thing and enjoy it. So glad I have no interest in video screen grabs and pixel counting like many on various groups. I think Blu-ray is good enough.

Still not convinced 4K is the way to go. I have 4K versions of the Divergent series and I havent noticed much difference between this and blu-ray. No wow factor at all. 3D on the other hand has the wow factor. It adds to the movie making you feel like you are in it. Anyway I am not going to be rushing out to buy 4K when I can get a 3D version instead.

I think many people are so caught up in resolution that it actually takes away from the film. Just watch the damn thing and enjoy it. So glad I have no interest in video screen grabs and pixel counting like many on various groups. I think Blu-ray is good enough.
Do you have HDR on your set up, I think that's what will make the biggest difference. Especially on these 2K films that are just being upscaled to 4K.

Do you have HDR on your set up, I think that's what will make the biggest difference. Especially on these 2K films that are just being upscaled to 4K.

Yes I do, but its not like I go back and forth and use a fine tooth comb to nitpick it. The only way I could tell if there was a side by side demo showing both. I don't notice these things when watching a movie. I doubt the average person could not tell the difference either unless it was a side by side demo.

Yes I do, but its not like I go back and forth and use a fine tooth comb to nitpick it. The only way I could tell if there was a side by side demo showing both. I don't notice these things when watching a movie. I doubt the average person could not tell the difference either unless it was a side by side demo.
Yeah it's definatly something for the purists. I'm interested myself but I know a lot of people will be perfectly happy with Standard HD. Blu-rays already do look superb so a lot of people won't feel the need to upgrade.

I'll be leading a "Standard HD blu-ray is good enough" rally in downtown Los Angeles this summer. 258,231 people are already pledged to attend. Come join me as we put the fear of God into these studios that are trying to squeeze money out of us by releasing these needless higher resolutions. They will get the message, believe me, to leave our standard blu-ray alone.:p

• Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Ricker and K.i.T
Very happy with the full glossy treatment, the inside artwork and I can never be upset over the included DTS:X audio track :woot: (for those of us who have an Atmos/DTS: X home theater you know what I'm talking about). I'll reserve judgement on the actual movie tonite. After seeing the reviews I'm going in with a slightly cynical view. Hoping the audio track blows me away though...

f235c0981302.JPG

891ff2868461.JPG

027ddec58eb1.JPG

1ecad4df9c73.JPG

5c3f15b1daa5.JPG
9041d6bfb6bf.JPG
67e8cea77c28.JPG
5b33ce12605b.JPG

c3cab4d53d29.JPG
086cfef0974a.JPG
3d07903805a7.JPG
a2eb8059b1dd.JPG

Picked this up today. My store only had 2 copies. 1 had a big dent on top middle so I went with the other one.

Very happy with the full glossy treatment, the inside artwork and I can never be upset over the included DTS:X audio track :woot: (for those of us who have an Atmos/DTS: X home theater you know what I'm talking about). I'll reserve judgement on the actual movie tonite. After seeing the reviews I'm going in with a slightly cynical view. Hoping the audio track blows me away though...

f235c0981302.JPG

891ff2868461.JPG

027ddec58eb1.JPG

1ecad4df9c73.JPG

5c3f15b1daa5.JPG
9041d6bfb6bf.JPG
67e8cea77c28.JPG
5b33ce12605b.JPG

c3cab4d53d29.JPG
086cfef0974a.JPG
3d07903805a7.JPG
a2eb8059b1dd.JPG
Now why cant they do that "HDR" sticker on all the 4K slips? :p

Also, two thumbs up for KOF. Not enough fans out there. I can't wait to play it :D:drool::thumbs::thumbs:
Is that the steelbook edition?

Anybody else find it funny how this has to be the very first release without a single logo on the spine? (Title only) cuz I've gone through hundreds of SteelBooks and this is my first time seeing just a title only on the spine.

Also you 4K people are hanging your own head by purchasing this. You do realize there have been many many titles before this that included 4K. This is just another test to see how much they can get away with.

EDIT: nm apparently the previous released titles are not true 4K.

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: K.i.T
Yes I just had to bump this up to the top due to the re-release of the Deadpool steelbook with a 4K disc.

So this was the first 4K steelbook.

It was very interesting reading the original comments about this release in this thread.
You should read through them and refresh your memories about your original feelings.
I believe some of those feelings have changed for some of you. The thread is only 2 pages.

I was not aware that this was released in 4K in a steelbook. We did not get this version in Canada.
Here's what Best Buy in Canada carried. And still does! It's still in stock.

The odd thing is I seem to recall that there wasn't a title on the spine back then.
Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and it was the front that didn't have a title.
I didn't purchase a copy because there were too many damages, so many copies with loose discs and there was a problem with the digital code in Canada. I believe it wasn't in the steelbook and everybody had to call or email Universal for it. (Also, I have never seen the movie because I heard it was so bad)

The Huntsman: Winter's War (SteelBook) (Only at Best Buy) (Blu-ray) (2016) $13.97 Canadian.

m2221042.jpg m2221042_2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles