The Lion King (2019) (4K+2D & 3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 18, 2019
Purchase links: 4K+2D - 3D+2D (Pre-order July 19, 9 AM UK time)
Price:
£32.99 (4K+2D) - £25.99 (3D+2D)

12224762-1934706455927017.jpg 12224763-2594706455132194.jpg
12224762-1404706456176407.jpg 12224762-2714706456473389.jpg 12224762-1514706456367183.jpg

TLK19_temp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: poldergal
the 'creative not final' art looks great. in keeping with the current trend, the final one will probably suck so bad I will be forced to cancel.

I don't have a good feeling about this film, just going by the trailer it seems empty and lifeless to me. almost like they went all out to achieve photo realism but didn't know how to make their creations possess a soul.

the 56% score on rotten tomatoes isn't a good indicator either.

but I will still make my own judgement ha

Got the 3D myself not got 4k yet even though I buy 4k stuff at least I be ready when I do,and I will keep my 3D tv until it no longer works lol, I thought 3D would be cool to own as will always be able to get 4k anytime and 3D is getting harder to get lesser as time goes on,shame it's not both 4k and 3D

Can't get the code to work, so ordered with Quidco. Does anyone else here use that by that way? I only recently bothered to look it into it, and so far it's been worth it!

Reactions: poldergal
Went to cinema today with my kids to watch this. They loved it. I thought it was total BS. Was expectng so much better after loving The Jungle Book remake. But my kids want me to own this so 3D preordered for now.

Isn’t Disney 2D & 3D usually £24.99?

What’s going on with Disney’s prices at the moment? They have always been the high end but I feel like they are going to start pushing that further over the next year. I swear the marvel lenti re releases are more expensive than the initial release! Or at least it feels that way.

Plus does this mean that fox titles will follow similar prices! (n) Time will tell. On the upside, maybe we will see better finishes on WWA fox titles lol (this is a mostly a rhetorical question post and speculation. Please don’t answer)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: willbar84
What’s going on with Disney’s prices at the moment? They have always been the high end but I feel like they are going to start pushing that further over the next year. I swear the marvle lenti re releases are more expensive than the initial re release! Or at least it feels that way.

If you look at all the money they are spending at the minute buying out franchises , their new Star Wars Themed Park and other areas which are been a disaster. It really takes someone really really stupid to make such iconic films a disaster. If there is such a thing as "the **** touch" they have it at the minute so it's no surprise they are hiking prices right across the board.

If you look at all the money they are spending at the minute buying out franchises , their new Star Wars Themed Park and other areas which are been a disaster. It really takes someone really really stupid to make such iconic films a disaster. If there is such a thing as "the **** touch" they have it at the minute so it's no surprise they are hiking prices right across the board.

To be fair I was thinking about the whole “money they been spending”. It’s clear that’s part of the reason. Shame

To be fair I was thinking about the whole “money they been spending”. It’s clear that’s part of the reason. Shame

It would make sense with all the problems they are having across the board to have to up prices across the board. I suspect it's a case of no choice, they have made some seriously bad choices over the past 10 years. I suspect Walt is turning in his grave....

• Thanks
Reactions: willbar84
Isn’t Disney 2D & 3D usually £24.99?

What’s going on with Disney’s prices at the moment? They have always been the high end but I feel like they are going to start pushing that further over the next year. I swear the marvel lenti re releases are more expensive than the initial release! Or at least it feels that way.

Plus does this mean that fox titles will follow similar prices! (n) Time will tell. On the upside, maybe we will see better finishes on WWA fox titles lol (this is a mostly a rhetorical question post and speculation. Please don’t answer)

So there are potentially some other things at work for pricing other than Disney needing the cash. Theses are all just speculative alternatives / additions

1. Zavvi - Independently, Zavvi could be behind the price rises. Either they have seen a fall in demand for steelbooks, so need to get more money for the ones they do sell/want to take more advantage of their exclusivity/etc. Alternatively the recent government increase to the living (read: minimum) wage could mean their employee costs have risen, so they need to increase prices.
2. Inflation - 3D steelbooks have been £24.99 for a long time now - I am pretty sure my 2015 Marvel ones were that price. Unfortunately, it is a long time since i got the play.com Iron Man for 10.99, Terminator for 13.99 and Man on Fire for 9.99 as their release prices. But it could still be just recent inflation
3. Distributer prices - Disney have put their prices up, so Zavvi has matched them with a rise themselves.

Whether the higher price is worth it is a matter of opinion. lots of steebooks are going for low(ish) prices on eBay (£10 for once £25 steels, save Marvel), so I wonder if the market is becoming more constricted. Personally, I wonder whether physical copies, in general, are going to go the way of vinyl; be an expensive, exclusive option for people who want the best sound and picture.