The Lion King (2019) (4K+2D & 3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 18, 2019
Purchase links: 4K+2D - 3D+2D (Pre-order July 19, 9 AM UK time)
Price:
£32.99 (4K+2D) - £25.99 (3D+2D)

12224762-1934706455927017.jpg 12224763-2594706455132194.jpg
12224762-1404706456176407.jpg 12224762-2714706456473389.jpg 12224762-1514706456367183.jpg

TLK19_temp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: poldergal
So there are potentially some other things at work for pricing other than Disney needing the cash. Theses are all just speculative alternatives / additions

1. Zavvi - Independently, Zavvi could be behind the price rises. Either they have seen a fall in demand for steelbooks, so need to get more money for the ones they do sell/want to take more advantage of their exclusivity/etc. Alternatively the recent government increase to the living (read: minimum) wage could mean their employee costs have risen, so they need to increase prices.
2. Inflation - 3D steelbooks have been £24.99 for a long time now - I am pretty sure my 2015 Marvel ones were that price. Unfortunately, it is a long time since i got the play.com Iron Man for 10.99, Terminator for 13.99 and Man on Fire for 9.99 as their release prices. But it could still be just recent inflation
3. Distributer prices - Disney have put their prices up, so Zavvi has matched them with a rise themselves.

Whether the higher price is worth it is a matter of opinion. lots of steebooks are going for low(ish) prices on eBay (£10 for once £25 steels, save Marvel), so I wonder if the market is becoming more constricted. Personally, I wonder whether physical copies, in general, are going to go the way of vinyl; be an expensive, exclusive option for people who want the best sound and picture.

Yep all that too

Kinda why I said rhetorical and was just moaning about the hike in price lol but yeah everything mentioned is all valid and also what has crossed my mind. Is what it is unfortunately

Spent the last hour and a half watching the original in 4k, can't wait to see the remake tonight at the IMAX. After the emotion of the original, the stage show and to a smaller extent The Festival Of The Lion King at The Animal Kingdom theme park it will be interesting to see how that emotion comes across. Expecting a stunning piece of film making though. Preordered this for sure

Yep all that too

Kinda why I said rhetorical and was just moaning about the hike in price lol but yeah everything mentioned is all valid and also what has crossed my mind. Is what it is unfortunately

Sorry, wasn’t meaning to sound so condescending.

All in all, I used to love the excitement of trying to get a steel - whose art would never come around again - for under £15 for some of my favourite moves. Play.com iron man and terminator are two of my favourites ever! Now print runs are huge and you can wait for price drops. I get economics mean they probably make more money this way, and scalpers used to be a real issue where now they aren’t (apart from Marvel), but I wish they would release more classics at low prices. The Fugitive is one of my favourite movies and I’ve been waiting over 8 years for a steel that’s never arrived.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Sorry, wasn’t meaning to sound so condescending.

All in all, I used to love the excitement of trying to get a steel - whose art would never come around again - for under £15 for some of my favourite moves. Play.com iron man and terminator are two of my favourites ever! Now print runs are huge and you can wait for price drops. I get economics mean they probably make more money this way, and scalpers used to be a real issue where now they aren’t (apart from Marvel), but I wish they would release more classics at low prices. The Fugitive is one of my favourite movies and I’ve been waiting over 8 years for a steel that’s never arrived.

Not condescending at all mate.

My original comment at the end was just to wind Paul up. He tends to reply with a, let’s say ‘less human touch’ and I thought he would be the only one to answer my rhetorical moan and give me robot facts I already know lol.

But yeah I hear you. Print runs don’t bother me as such and is nice to own somthing more limited but prices are just getting so stupid. And now catalogue 4k steels are more than a new film steel lol .

Kind of makes sense being the 18th November. It would tie into the restock of the animated version on 4k as well

Zavvi has updated the date (18th November) and artwork
I was hoping it'd be something different, find this design quite ugly. Was really disappointed by the film as well, first of the live actions that I've actually disliked. My other half enjoyed it though and I need to get it to keep the collection going :p

What....is....THAT :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::smashed:

Cancelled.

For the price they're charging for these now -for just a BASIC no frills steelbook, they really need to up their game on the artwork. The GCSE 'look what I created in Microsoft paint!' Approach is not good enough at this price point.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Yup, that's greeeat . . . looking very much the king . . . same artwork as Best Buy definitely not an issue for me:-
1568844728567.png

[SPOILER}
1568845176245.png