The Shining (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 30, 2019
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre order live Tuesday June 4 at noon (12PM) UK time)
Price: £24.99

12168534-1384676134883298.jpg

12168534-1644676134769802.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: goufcustom
So, both cuts on the same disc? Or 3 disc edition?
2 Discs
4K UHD and Blu-ray

I not seen info yet if Blu-ray has US cut in UK release
4K UHD Disc does have US Cut

It's been mentioned UK Blu-ray has international cut
Extras are on Blu-ray Disc
Only way to know for sure is when Blu-ray disc is tested to see if it has both cuts

Note
4K UHD Disc 100% has 4K scan remastered US cut 144 min (also known as extended cut outside USA) in the UK 4K UHD Amaray and Steelbook releases

You know, from what I recall as a teenager, this movie was widely hated. All I ever heard was how bad this movie was.

So I think a lot of people might say that this movie has always been getting the cover art it so richly deserves.

No way whatsoever this should be £24.99.

This is retailers ripping off cinephiles; as a 39 year old film, this shouldn’t be priced this highly.

Yes, it’s a 4K disc. Yes, it’s a steelbook. But it’s still a huge rip off in my opinion.

You know, from what I recall as a teenager, this movie was widely hated. All I ever heard was how bad this movie was.

So I think a lot of people might say that this movie has always been getting the cover art it so richly deserves.

When I was teenager this was loved and appreciated movie, here in Finland. :naughty::D But truly, it was ... and IMO still is.

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
Only other reason I can think of for having a door, an axe and a maze style print-out instead of an actual 'A' list cast member on the front of the new THE SHINING steelbook is because the studio is (understandably) not prepared to fork out big bucks to an acting legend like Jack Nicholson for a very limited release steelbooks for a forty year old movie (no matter how well respected the movie may be) ....
1559653158455.png
1559653242777.png
1559653392516.png
excuse arrowhead . . . not part of artwork . . . even though looks like it should be.

How the previous two steelbooks slot into the two collections:-
1559654104100.png
1559654217951.png

... and contradicting the above there's this one from Germany for customers that will accept no substitute for Jack in "huff and puff" mode on the front:-
1559653662860.png

• Thanks
Reactions: Bengaloo and milky
Shall I wait or you guys think it will sell fast? I want to upgrade to 4K but also I want to have full length uncut movie which I have on BR. No sure if that is the case on 4k UHD

Shall I wait or you guys think it will sell fast? I want to upgrade to 4K but also I want to have full length uncut movie which I have on BR. No sure if that is the case on 4k UHD

4K UHD has the US Cut (Known as the extended cut outside USA)

Reactions: Tompa
Here's something else I didn't know - the iconic "Here's Johnny" axe scene was apparently inspired by a scene from a Swedish film THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (1921) and was not in the book . . . in fact there's no axe in the book and a croquet mallet was the weapon of choice and from a scene with the great Lillian Gish from BROKEN BLOSSOMS (1919):-
zaCtCuN.gif

(Lillian Gish better known to the average viewer today for her performance in the only film directed by the great Brit actor Charles Laughton - the splendid NIGHT OF THE HUNTER from 1955)

Last edited:
Any news on whether the Blu-ray's got the US cut as well?
USA Release
UHD and Blu-ray both has USA Cut 144 min

France
UHD has Extended Cut (USA cut 144 min)
Blu-ray has International Cut (120 min)

UK
UHD has Extended Cut (USA cut 144 min)
Blu-ray not confirmed yet which cut but possible will also be European Cut like france

Until someone gets delivery of UK release then it will be known for sure what cut is on Blu-ray

Reactions: Corrigan
French combo release 4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD release has changed to be extended cut on Blu-ray Disc going by Amazon France website
DVD disc has european cut

So it's possible UK Blu-ray might also has extended cut
UHD Disc - 100% has the USA Theatrical Cut aka extended cut worldwide

Only way for sure to know is when someone gets delivery to see what cut is on UK Blu-ray Disc
UHD will have USA Theatrical Cut

UK Jcard only mentions USA Cut 144 min
91VtOlwwTXL._SL1500_.jpg