Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 3, 2022
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £34.99

715dzUaumdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51zn9dxv88L._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
Well it didn't show oos beforehand whilst I was commenting on this forum and still was in basket ...which was obviously glitch on system. But thanks for the compliment
It shouldn't have been available in cart, if OOS, and since it's now been placed on an Exclusion list, that's probably why you couldn't get it to work.

Just got home and mine was waiting for me. Packaged in a nice sturdy parcel box instead of the usual wraparound mailer from Zavvi which was a nice surprise. Set looks great in hand, really happy with it :thumbs:

Reactions: JinxyKatte
I was just watching someone unbox this on youtube and I could see on the top left corner on the front, on the spot gloss there is a line, like an imperfection in the printing. Mine has one too and one on the bottom right also. I was under the impression I was just unlucky but now I am wondering do more people have this? Can anyone check? You have to kind of catch it in the light to see it.

Reactions: Boilersteel
I was just watching someone unbox this on youtube and I could see on the top left corner on the front, on the spot gloss there is a line, like an imperfection in the printing. Mine has one too and one on the bottom right also. I was under the impression I was just unlucky but now I am wondering do more people have this? Can anyone check? You have to kind of catch it in the light to see it.
Yeah mine is scuffed on the top left where the spot gloss is, on the top right and has some hairline scratches on the right side. I feel like that stupid plastic container that holds the pin and patch is the culprit. It is such a poor design to place a steelbook unwrapped in with a sharp plastic container that can and many times does scuff and scratch it.

Reactions: JinxyKatte
Yep. I've also got the same mark. Clearly it's a manufacturing defect in the printing process and a "balls to this" in the quality control department .
There's seems to be a large number of reports highlighting the same spot.
Oh well, you can't get a Titans release without a fail somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_20221028_134403.jpg
    IMG_20221028_134403.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
Yep. I've also got the same mark. Clearly it's a manufacturing defect in the printing process and a "balls to this" in the quality control department .
There's seems to be a large number of reports highlighting the same spot.
Oh well, you can't get a Titans release without a fail somewhere.
Yeah right, Their rep ******* told me they hadn't seen it in any of the ones they have seen. And while I don't think it is on every single one so maybe they are not lying. I caught at least a few from videos or pics. So I am thinking it is fairly prolific.

Reactions: TheWildEye
Wow. I’m shocked by the comments in this thread.

I recently just went 4K capable, so now I’m in the process of buying all my favorite movies in 4K for the first time. After looking at all the options for this movie, I liked this one the best.

I’d never heard of ToC before, so I didn’t have any bad reputation to sway my thoughts. But looking at FAC, CineMuseum, World Cinema Library, and hell even the Mondo steel (not 4K, I know)…I legit like this total package more than any of them. So I was blown away after reading through all 11 pages here that so many people find this ugly.

The only other release that gave this a run for its money is the StudioCanal 4-disc. I absolutely love that line of artwork. And it would have been nice to match my Prince of Darkness and The Fog sets…but every image I see on eBay has the spine of the box dented/folded/messed up.

Oh well, just grabbed one of these for $50 on the Bay. And I’m super exited for it.

Reactions: Mararagan
Wow. I’m shocked by the comments in this thread.

I recently just went 4K capable, so now I’m in the process of buying all my favorite movies in 4K for the first time. After looking at all the options for this movie, I liked this one the best.

I’d never heard of ToC before, so I didn’t have any bad reputation to sway my thoughts. But looking at FAC, CineMuseum, World Cinema Library, and hell even the Mondo steel (not 4K, I know)…I legit like this total package more than any of them. So I was blown away after reading through all 11 pages here that so many people find this ugly.

The only other release that gave this a run for its money is the StudioCanal 4-disc. I absolutely love that line of artwork. And it would have been nice to match my Prince of Darkness and The Fog sets…but every image I see on eBay has the spine of the box dented/folded/messed up.

Oh well, just grabbed one of these for $50 on the Bay. And I’m super exited for it.
@jacobsever
The Thing is not a StudioCanal release
The UK 4 disc digipack in a slipbox that collector's edition with artwork done by Matt Ferguson is a release from Universal UK

What might have confused to think The Thing was a StudioCanal release is that the packaging design of the collector's edition matches the other John Carpenter Collector's Editions that StudioCanal did aka The Fog/They Live/Escape from New York/Prince of Darkness

Matt Ferguson and Universal had permission to use same type packaging design as the StudioCanal John Carpenter Collector's Editions

Both of my copies have severe scratching and plastic residue all over all 4 sides because of that stupid plastic holder, its edges did that.

Probably liked this best subconsciously because it was the cheapest. :D
All my StudioCanal digipacks, and others like that, have always arrived squished/bent a little on the spine, they're very flimsy. To make sure it's bent properly, I absent-mindedly put it in a stack, and a dozen other editions on top of it, and left it like that for a few months. Came out twice as worse, as it arrived, but I don't care.

Did you pay $50 for a ToC?

Splitting hairs I see.

I guess I was confused because all of the other releases using Matt’s artwork and have the same style packaging are StudioCanal.
He literally just wrote that assumption, but I guess no one reads his posts, not all the way through anyway. :shipped:

I think the primary and best way TOC can help themselves is to dispose of the catastrophically counterproductive cowls of crap.
They scratch, they burn, they hurt the precious.
:LOL:
Lord Of The Rings Ring GIF

Well, I did not heed y'alls warnings. I rolled the dice and took a chance.

...and ended up with the most damaged steelbook I've ever seen.

View attachment 547535
What warnings? Like against ebay or Titans cos I mean a stealbook arriving like that from ebay is hardly titans of cults fault lol.

I am one of the few people on here that still defend them and while I don't think they are in any way comparable to premium retailers, I don't think they are nearly as bad as some people especially people on here make them out to be. And as they seem to have gone quiet again I am really hoping they are still thinking about changing out their plastic cases.