The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Arrow Video) [UK]

Feb 17, 2011
Release date: October 23, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon - Zavvi - HMV - Arrow Films (Sold Out)
Price: £17.99 (Arrow) - £24.99 (Amazon) - £19.99 (Zavvi - Hmv)

91fkjH5rswL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrow Video never replied on facebook it would be a digipak
A facebook post on July 17th this was posted
A person asked on facebook Is the limited edition a digipack or a normal case with a slipcover
Arrow Video Reply
We're still confirming the pack specs but we'll let you know when they're finalised.

A question posted on facebook a few months later in regards to packaging
They was asked would it be same as donnie darko and will it be soft or hard cardboard packaging
Arrow Video replied it would be a hard rigid slipbox same type packaging as The Bird with the Crystal Plumage and The Hills Have Eyes releases

When arrow video post release update & final specs on facebook with actual photos of the release this is when you see what a release looks like
This is usually done just before release date but sometimes can be earlier

Most of the previous digipak releases they listed in the description at the start when announced as a digipak or later when finial specs and photos was released

The Thing was not listed as digipak when announced or when final specs was released

You do realise that most people don't have the time or desire to scroll through the FB comment section. They obviously didn't make it clear enough that it was an amaray in the slip. I would stop short of saying they were dishonest with their customers but they certainly weren't clear with what was being offered.

I now have three Steels of the movie and I have to admit that not one of them is perfect.
I love the cover for this one but the pop art back now at all and the finish is not awesome.
I like the Mondo edition I have, great finish but the art is a not that great.
Then the old Horizontal Play.com edition, enough said about that.

Looks like I will be buying another relaeas in the future when someone finally gets it just right.

On a plus note this does go nicely with the French release of the Prequel.

Why? What's the difference with that? Extra content?
Arrow Video is best release so far and big difference to previous releases in terms of overall picture quality
Arrow Video extra Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing is a brilliant documentary

Both Arrow Video and Scream Factory have excellent extras and a must to have both releases in your collection in my opinion

Extras each have their own exclusives and share some same extras

Network TV Broadcast Version on the scream factory release is a nice extra to have but it's SD 480i and it's not the best in terms of video quality comparison would be poor VHS quality it's not something you would re-watch that often
Info on the TV Version
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/TV-version-of-THE-THING/id/9294
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/alternateversions

Scream Factory
Disc One (with the feature film)
  • Theatrical and Teaser Trailers
  • Theatrical Trailers (1080p; 3:27)
  • German Trailer (1080p; 1:47)
  • Teaser Trailer (1080p; 1:22)
  • TV Spots (1080p; 1:35)
  • Radio Spots (1080p; 2:27) also offers a bit of "extracurricular" footage, as well as Stevie Wonder's "Superstition".
  • Still Galleries
  • Behind the Scenes (1080p; 4:47)
  • Lobby Cards and Press Stills (1080p; 4:18)
  • Programs (1080p; 1:44)
  • Posters (1080p; 1:59)
  • Storyboards (1080p; 2:34)
  • Production Artwork (1080p; 1:24)
  • Audio Commentary with Dean Cundey (found under the Setup Menu)
  • Audio Commentary with Co-Producer Stuart Cohen (found under the Setup Menu)
  • Audio Commentary by Director John Carpenter and Actor Kurt Russell (found under the Setup Menu)
Disc Two (Bonus Features)
  • Interviews
  • Requiem for a Shapeshifter (1080p; 28:39) features John Carpenter being interviewed by Mick Garris.
  • The Men of Outpost 31 (1080p; 51:14) features interviews with several of the supporting players.
  • Assembling and Assimilation (1080p; 11:09) features editor Todd Ramsay.
  • Behind the Chameleon (1080p; 25:26) is a fun overview of some shapeshifting activities with Peter Kuran, Visual Effects Supervisor.
  • Sounds from the Cold (1080p; 14:53) features Alan Howarth, Special Sound Effects and Music.
  • Between the Lines (1080p; 15:58) features author Alan Dean Foster.
  • More of The Thing
  • Network TV Broadcast Version of The Thing (480i; 1:33:45) is sourced from pretty spotty looking video.
  • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape (1080i; 1:24:03) is a really well done in depth piece on the background and production of the film.
  • The Making of a Chilling Tale (480i; 5:14) is a brief vintage featurette.
  • The Making of The Thing (480i; 9:20) is another archival piece.
  • Featurettes
  • The Art of Mike Ploog (1080p; 12:21) is a nice tour through some storyboards.
  • Back into the Cold (1080p; 11:16) visits some of the film's locations.
  • Outtakes (1080i; 5:19)
  • Vintage Featurettes (480i; 13:20)
  • Vintage Product Reel (480i; 19:38)
  • Vintage Behind the Scenes Footage (480i; 2:02)
  • Annotated Production Archive (1080i; 54:12)
Arrow Video
    • Audio Commentary with Mike White, Patrick Bromley and El Goro
      Audio Commentary with director John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
    • Extras:
      "Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing" documentary (77:47)
      "1982: One Amazing Summer" documentary (27:20)
      "John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape" documentary (SD, 84:00)
      NoThing Left Unsaid: Texas Frightmare Panel (55:08)
      "The Thing 27,000 Hours" short (with optional commentary by fans of The Thing) (6:01)
      "Outpost #31" featurette (15:42)
      "We've Found Something in the Ice" featurette (5:38)
      "The Thing Tribute Artwork" slideshow (0:24)
      Production Archive
      "Behind-the-Scenes" gallery
      Theatrical Trailer (1:58)

Last edited:
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Arrow Video never replied on facebook it would be a digipak
A facebook post on July 17th this was posted
A person asked on facebook Is the limited edition a digipack or a normal case with a slipcover
Arrow Video Reply
We're still confirming the pack specs but we'll let you know when they're finalised.

A question posted on facebook a few months later in regards to packaging
They was asked would it be same as donnie darko and will it be soft or hard cardboard packaging
Arrow Video replied it would be a hard rigid slipbox same type packaging as The Bird with the Crystal Plumage and The Hills Have Eyes releases

When arrow video post release update & final specs on facebook with actual photos of the release this is when you see what a release looks like
This is usually done just before release date but sometimes can be earlier

Most of the previous digipak releases they listed in the description at the start when announced as a digipak or later when finial specs and photos was released

The Thing was not listed as digipak when announced or when final specs was released
Then i stand corrected on that. Still, i don't usually fall for speculation but something i read definitely led me to conclude that it would be a digipak, and i thought i read so in their facebook column. Also, i DO think the pics ARE misleading - look at the pics for the hard slipcases of deep red 4k, phenomena 4k, bird with crystal plumage 4k, and the upcoming carrie 4k.......you can clearly see that these were/are amarays sticking out of the hard box, with the plastic case surround clearly visible, no mistake. Not the case at all with The Thing slipbox - there is no amaray case around the image sticking out of the slipbox. Personally, i think this was going to be a digipak, but they changed course, for some reason......maybe?

Last edited:
This alongside films like T2, Alien, Dumb and Dumber, The Duel (guilty pleasure) and Shawshank will remain in my top 25 all time favourite films.

Do you mean Steven Spielbergs DUEL?

That's one of my favourite films and really hoped it (and Munich) would have got steelbook releases upon release :(

I guess never say never though.......

I prefer the Mondo steelbook actually which I already have....will pick this up as well if I get a chance....missed it on Amazon and Zavvi....

Is the disc in this release Region-Free? If not, any idea if Arrow video will be releasing this much improved transfer in the US (like Donnie Darko which was released in both UK and US by Arrow)...

I prefer the Mondo steelbook actually which I already have....will pick this up as well if I get a chance....missed it on Amazon and Zavvi....

Is the disc in this release Region-Free? If not, any idea if Arrow video will be releasing this much improved transfer in the US (like Donnie Darko which was released in both UK and US by Arrow)...
It's listed as Region B
I won't have delivery till later today or tomorrow to check if the Arrow Video Blu-ray Region free or Region B locked but I expect it is

Arrow Video release can't happen in USA/Canada at the moment because Scream Factory have active dIstribution rights in USA/Canada with their 2K restoration scan of the Thing

Do you mean Steven Spielbergs DUEL?

That's one of my favourite films and really hoped it (and Munich) would have got steelbook releases upon release :(

I guess never say never though.......

Yes. It is Spielberg's Duel. Awesome film. Universal surprisingly did a good job with its Blu-ray release. You never feel bored watching this awesome underrated film.