The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Arrow Video) [UK]

Feb 17, 2011
Release date: October 23, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon - Zavvi - HMV - Arrow Films (Sold Out)
Price: £17.99 (Arrow) - £24.99 (Amazon) - £19.99 (Zavvi - Hmv)

91fkjH5rswL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just took the steel and put inside the slipbox. Thats premium enough for me. Fits perfect without the poster inside the slipbox. Fairly snug with it inside the slip with poster.

• Thanks
Reactions: jailbird_joey
. . . and of course great to see uniformity of title font on both steelbook, slipcase, disc etc. . . . on all the new stuff in fact . . . w/ original title font on the poster and Artcards:-
upload_2017-11-2_15-13-25.png
upload_2017-11-2_15-19-22.png

upload_2017-11-2_15-44-41.png
upload_2017-11-2_15-45-45.png
upload_2017-11-2_15-47-56.png
upload_2017-11-2_15-50-40.png

. . . and with artwork from two of the best in the business.

Regarding my earlier grumble about the lack of special treatment to THE THING slipcase (a la "Nekromantik" etc.) on second thoughts I'd say that this slipcase makes up for that lack of special treatment due to its more solid construction than those previously mentioned examples.

. . . and regarding the "THE" of the title here . . . they should've done the same with THE LION KING Signature steelbook (lol):-
Yes ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No

lionking-jpg.322910

Arrow release vs. Shout release:-
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_73/the_thing_blu-ray.htm

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: robbodoc
Got my copy yesterday, too:

01.jpg

I like this one. The finish leaves a bit to be desired, but overall a good steelbook, plain and simple.

02.jpg

03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg

Just the steelbook in the cardboard, no other protection. Hopefully they will use the soft plastic sheet again next time. Even though the steelbook arrived in good shape, I'd prefer if they kept using the usual padding sheet.

Those new zavvi packaging are awesome. Even more robust than the previous ones due to its extra corner space/protection. Zavvi's packaging is so simple and yet it protects the steelbooks sufficient to arrive mint. Unless of course the package is treated like a football. Sometimes when a zavvi steelbook arrives and i see the package with marks, dents and dirt, i'm thinking "yeah no way the steelbook arrived mint" until i open those beautiful white packages to see the steelbooks arrived indeed mint.
Amazon should take notice, their packaging is the worst, it's a 50/50 chance your steelbook arrives dented.

Those new zavvi packaging are awesome. Even more robust than the previous ones due to its extra corner space/protection. Zavvi's packaging is so simple and yet it protects the steelbooks sufficient to arrive mint. Unless of course the package is treated like a football. Sometimes when a zavvi steelbook arrives and i see the package with marks, dents and dirt, i'm thinking "yeah no way the steelbook arrived mint" until i open those beautiful white packages to see the steelbooks arrived indeed mint.
Amazon should take notice, their packaging is the worst, it's a 50/50 chance your steelbook arrives dented.

It's because they come from Guernsey :)

Got my copy yesterday, too:

View attachment 342533

I like this one. The finish leaves a bit to be desired, but overall a good steelbook, plain and simple.

View attachment 342535 View attachment 342536 View attachment 342537

Just the steelbook in the cardboard, no other protection. Hopefully they will use the soft plastic sheet again next time. Even though the steelbook arrived in good shape, I'd prefer if they kept using the usual padding sheet.
Zavvi packaging that now using slightly different white boxes have been in use for over 3 months
I gather you not had any steelbook deliveries from zavvi in a while :p

Note white boxes are used only when dispatched from Guernsey

It's because they come from Guernsey :)
I don't follow? I know zavvi sends from Guernsey. I was just comparing zavvi's packaging vs Amazon's packaging. Zavvi's packaging is way superior to the cheap thin paper packaging from Amazon where literally every 3rd steelbook arrives with a dent :/

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
I don't follow? I know zavvi sends from Guernsey. I was just comparing zavvi's packaging vs Amazon's packaging. Zavvi's packaging is way superior to the cheap thin paper packaging from Amazon where literally every 3rd steelbook arrives with a dent :/

Speaking of packaging . . . and buying steelbooks from Amazon is a crapshoot . . . there's always this almost unbelievable other extreme courtesy a private seller:-
Large box (27 x 27 x 25 cm) ---------------------------------------------------------- thick layer of scrunched up newspaper ------------------------------------- several metres of Bubblewrap -------------------------------------------------
upload_2017-11-4_23-46-19.png
upload_2017-11-4_23-48-9.png
upload_2017-11-4_23-50-20.png

-- another thick layer of scrunched up newspaper underneath ------ w/ the steelbook bubblewrapped and packed in an older style Zavvi white box.
upload_2017-11-4_23-52-32.png
upload_2017-11-4_23-57-50.png

Last edited:
My Civil War steels turned up in those white cardboard box things and one of them had a big old crushed corner so they aren't that great sadly.

I never got mine as Amazon lost my package.
:(
So had to order amray as its sold out! So annoyed at amazon as they did it again another order lost this time Villianess!

The Thing is, I already have several versions of this film.
I... see what you did there? I get what you mean, too, but if there's one version to own, this would be it. Leave it to Arrow to not only do a repackaging but also deliver a faithful picture restoration.

I like Struzans iconic poster art. But why did they feel the need to change the original title font?
Usually I'd be with you there but I think either title works great with the artwork. I might even prefer the new one a little.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Watched this last night. I was pleasantly surprised with how good the picture is considering how old the film is.

Arrow did a terrific job with this. Movie looks like it was shot last week!

Huge upgrade from the original UK BD.

Haven't seen the original UK BD but yeah, this is very impressive.

There was a couple of scenes that showed a great deal of grain / noise on a 65" OLED but I see that on plenty of 4K DV content streamed through Netflix so can't just blame this film for that. I'm thinking that this TV amplifies it a bit.

There was a couple of scenes that showed a great deal of grain / noise on a 65" OLED but I see that on plenty of 4K DV content streamed through Netflix so can't just blame this film for that. I'm thinking that this TV amplifies it a bit.
You might have to turn off the artificial sharpening setting, tends to exacerbate grain. Usually, setting "sharpness" to zero is the way to go.

• Thanks
Reactions: Bungral