The Third Man (Limited Collectors Edition Blu-ray) [UK]

Release date: July 20th , 2015
Purchase link: Amazon
Price: £22.99

A new, and very exciting addition to the Studio Canal Vintage Classics line.
91gIdjAtfmL._SL1500_.jpg

The Orson Welles classic written by Grahan Greene, is presented here in a brand new 4k Restoration 4 disc set.
Discs 1 &2 are in DVD format and contain the film plus lots of extras
Disc 3 is Blu-ray - the film again, plus extras
Disc 4 is the CD soundtrack in its entirety.
The set is rounded off with a set of Art Cards, Booklet and Poster.
An absolute must buy for any fan of Greene and Welles,, the box set is due for release on 20th July 2015 and is now available for pre-order.
81wL+4mK4BL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I would love this for the 4k restoration...but that is all I want. The other DVDs and extras are superfluous nonsense.
I hope they have a release that is just the Blu ray restoration without the rest.

@C.C. 95 Do you mean something like this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00X7RHT5C/?tag=hidefnin-21

@paulboland, thanks a lot for the great pictures!! That set truly does look great!! i do like it when they truly 'go to town' as the saying goes on one particular title. Like Argo a couple of months ago, and next months' release of Videodrome, when there has been time and effort put to a release you can really see it!! Thanks again for the pictures, I am definitely going to pick this up and the end of the month without a doubt!! Keep your fingers crossed for me that they're still in stock!! :ohno:
:thumbs::thumbs:

@C.C. 95 Do you mean something like this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00X7RHT5C/?tag=hidefnin-21

@paulboland, thanks a lot for the great pictures!! That set truly does look great!! i do like it when they truly 'go to town' as the saying goes on one particular title. Like Argo a couple of months ago, and next months' release of Videodrome, when there has been time and effort put to a release you can really see it!! Thanks again for the pictures, I am definitely going to pick this up and the end of the month without a doubt!! Keep your fingers crossed for me that they're still in stock!! :ohno:
:thumbs::thumbs:
Thank you for that!!:thumbs::thumbs::D
And the deluxe is at £22.99 now...not £19.00...

Reactions: William
Hopefully the normal (non-deluxe will go down in price then, but I am still going to go for the deluxe version. ;)
I understand the appeal...but I don't want the score. And the DVDs are (as always) utterly a waste and useless. (I have a 1080p Blu-ray player! What do I need 480p DVDs for?!!)
PLUS- I already am in deep with the Steelbook version (which I most likely will do a disc swap with this edition) and the Criterion Collection version. I will probably wait to see if the single disc edition comes down in price.

Reactions: William
@C.C. 95 I see what you mean. I too have a 1080p blu-ray player, and I would probably never ever play the DVD's. The soundtrack I think is just a novel add-on whilst the poster/postcards are a cheap yet still a good addition.

Bu I think that for yourself it would be best to wait for the standard 4K addition to go down in price. I thought it was a great idea to then put the disc into the steelbook. That would conserve a lot of space, and the steeelbook does look pretty cool!! :)

@C.C. 95 I see what you mean. I too have a 1080p blu-ray player, and I would probably never ever play the DVD's. The soundtrack I think is just a novel add-on whilst the poster/postcards are a cheap yet still a good addition.

Bu I think that for yourself it would be best to wait for the standard 4K addition to go down in price. I thought it was a great idea to then put the disc into the steelbook. That would conserve a lot of space, and the steeelbook does look pretty cool!! :)
As much as I love The Third Man- I am not a fan of the "classic" score! I hate zither music! So, having the score on a disc is a nonstarter for me. But, if you ever get into an "either/or" situation with editions- check out this 'hybrid solution I came up with using Steelbook-central's SC6 sleeves! (More pics at the link.)
I have the Pan's Labyrinth steelbook with the amaray lenti in one case, the Cabin in The Woods Steelbook with its amaray lenti, and this Casin Royale steelbook with its amaray etc...
I have the front covers facing out on each side...
https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/sleeves-hard-cases-for-steelbooks™.5766/page-71
image.jpg

I would love this for the 4k restoration...but that is all I want. The other DVDs and extras are superfluous nonsense.
I hope they have a release that is just the Blu ray restoration without the rest.

@C.C. 95 If you're only after a single disc of the 4k restoration, have you considered the French Digibook?

91Rfwp1bMTL._SL1500_.jpg

Released on the 15th July and available from amazon.fr for EUR 22.99. The price will undoubtedly go down in due course. The French release is also Region ABC (free).

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00VU7NQGM/?tag=hidefnin0a-21

There's a detailed review of this release on blu-ray dot com. It gets top marks!

• Helpful Post
Reactions: C.C. 95
@C.C. 95 If you're only after a single disc of the 4k restoration, have you considered the French Digibook?

View attachment 178395

Released on the 15th July and available from amazon.fr for EUR 22.99. The price will undoubtedly go down in due course. The French release is also Region ABC (free).

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00VU7NQGM/?tag=hidefnin0a-21

There's a detailed review of this release on blu-ray dot com. It gets top marks!
Thanks, @augustus! Looks nice! I have to tell you- I get all confused and out of sorts when I actually have time to look at different versions and not make a decision super fast:LOL:!!
I can actually weigh the versions, and my options while not playing beat the clock and checking the print run!
Lovely!:thumbs::D
image.jpg

Reactions: augustus
link ? eng subs ?

My copy arrived a few days ago. According to the blurb on the back English subs on both Blu and DVD.

Also, it's a very nice looking set - especially in view of the price. :thumbs::thumbs:

@augustus - Yuck, Yuck, Yuck - all that nasty French language on the front. Very nice if you're French and don't have English, but Merde alors! :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
@augustus - Yuck, Yuck, Yuck - all that nasty French language on the front. Very nice if you're French and don't have English, but Merde alors! :naughty:

@JackRegan

I would certainly have preferred it if the French Digibook had retained the film's original English title.

In fact, I would personally prefer it if all home video releases were to retain a film's original title, and that includes all the foreign language films, the vast majority of which have their titles translated into English when released in the UK and US.

That's a forlorn hope, however, so rather than miss out on an otherwise exceptional release, I adopt the principle that a foreign title is acceptable, provided it is a direct translation of the original. This release, for me, falls into that category.

What I cannot abide, however, is when a title is translated into something completely different. There are many such releases, one of the most perverse of which must surely be the recent German release of "The Railway Man", released in Germany as "Die Liebe seines Lebens" (The Love of His Life). Anyone going to see this, expecting from the title that it was going to be a romance, would have got quite a shock with the flashbacks showing the utter brutality of life in a Japanese POW camp. Needless to say, I didn't bother with that particular release.

@JackRegan

I would certainly have preferred it if the French Digibook had retained the film's original English title.

In fact, I would personally prefer it if all home video releases were to retain a film's original title, and that includes all the foreign language films, the vast majority of which have their titles translated into English when released in the UK and US.

That's a forlorn hope, however, so rather than miss out on an otherwise exceptional release, I adopt the principle that a foreign title is acceptable, provided it is a direct translation of the original. This release, for me, falls into that category.

What I cannot abide, however, is when a title is translated into something completely different. There are many such releases, one of the most perverse of which must surely be the recent German release of "The Railway Man", released in Germany as "Die Liebe seines Lebens" (The Love of His Life). Anyone going to see this, expecting from the title that it was going to be a romance, would have got quite a shock with the flashbacks showing the utter brutality of life in a Japanese POW camp. Needless to say, I didn't bother with that particular release.

I do agree very much on keeping the original titles - I always think of the classic French and Italian films I grew up with in their oiginal titles.

The change of title, or intent is horrifying sometimes - yes, a blind buy of The Railway Man in its German title would come as quite a shock to say the least.

One that always, but always annoys me is Jaws in the french release "Les Dents de la Mer" - The Teeth of the Sea - why not simply "Machoires" - Jaws??
I could never bring myself to buy that edition.

Reactions: augustus