The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: September 28th, 2015
Purchase link: The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (live)
Price: £14.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies

11156607-2144316365239675.jpg

11156607-1224316365215429.jpg

11156607-8424316365226145.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-three-burials-of-melquiades-estrada-2006

Not that one person's opinion matters (mine, yours, Ebert's), but I think you're being unfair.

I was going to unload a string of expletives at you because this is a terrifically underrated film that is fully deserving of any attention that StudioCanal can muster up. Instead I'd just ask you to consider that:

a) not everything released requires YOU to buy it
b) not everything released is aimed at YOU
c) I'm willing to bet a fair amount of cash that there are worse films in your steelbook collection

This is the second time I've seen a StudioCanal release referred to as 'scraping the barrel', the last time was for Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, of which this (along with Three Burials) are brilliant films. Personally I'd rather have an endless stream of these films offered than another Marvel re-release.

Totally Agree !

:thumbs:

d) there seems to be endless stream of same titles released around the world (terminators, batmans, myriad of marvel steels, even sharkanado got steel), so 3BoME deserves one too. Not sure if I get this one, but liked the movie a lot! ...and the art is very nice !

The problem is:

a) it is frustrating to see stuff like this announced when much more deserving titles don't even have a whiff of a steelbook release

b) zavvi have saturated the steelbook market so much with unnecessary titles that most collector's now overlook lesser releases like this because they have no hope of collecting them all and even if they tried they simply don't have the shelf space. That just leaves people who are big fans of the film in question, which is probably about 15 people in this case.

c) it is a chore to go through the zavvi steelbook section and trawl through the ocean of mediocre titles like this that they don't have a hope of selling in order to find the few interesting titles, not to mention being spammed by zavvi telling me there's only 500 left or flash sales because they cannot sell them without having to keep badgering us to buy them.
Unnecessary steelbooks are in the eye of the beholder. It is unnecessary to you, until they do a steelbook of that one movie that you love - but is considered a 'nothing' movie to everybody else.
Some people out there are going to be really happy with this. Good for them. It hurts no one that this movie is released on steelbook. Steelbook is not a zero sum business. Because this got a steelbook release does not mean another title did not. I would be happy if my favorite movie (Sleuth, 1972) got a steelbook. The odds are against it happening. And if it did, odds are you would call it unnecessary...even though 10 minutes of that movie is better than anything Marvel could ever hope to make....and they get 5 or more steelbooks per title...that's unnecessary.

Last edited:
Any clues as to when this is going live?

I was going to be "that guy" and ask this same question since there's no "Not Live Yet" disclaimer on the OP. I enjoy this film and want to upgrade to this nice steelbook from my crummy DVD. The film is indeed very good and certainly deserving of a better release. Hard to believe there's no Blu-ray yet in the US.

Reactions: JayWhit
Great that this highly-rated film is getting a steel. I've always wanted to see it. Unfortunately the disc is 1080i. Couple that with the fact that it has black and white inside art and what probably will be a bare metal steel, and I'll only buy it when it hits bargain bin prices.

I'm sure this will drop a few quid in price and I'm all over it once it does.
Too all the people hating on these so called scraping the barrel releases - One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Great that this highly-rated film is getting a steel. I've always wanted to see it. Unfortunately the disc is 1080i. Couple that with the fact that it has black and white inside art and what probably will be a bare metal steel, and I'll only buy it when it hits bargain bin prices.
You are kidding!! Are sure 1080i?!!
O.M.G.:OMG:
I'm bummed it isn't 480i in SECAM...:rofl:

Reactions: lolwut
I was going to be "that guy" and ask this same question since there's no "Not Live Yet" disclaimer on the OP. I enjoy this film and want to upgrade to this nice steelbook from my crummy DVD. The film is indeed very good and certainly deserving of a better release. Hard to believe there's no Blu-ray yet in the US.

Same with me, I also have this on DVD and really enjoyed it, so looking to upgrade as well!!

Really glad I got this but why is it Region B? I thought all Sony releases were region free?

In the UK, this title is distributed by Studio Canal not Sony. Studio Canal normally locks its releases.

Not all Sony releases are Region ABC (free), especially where Sony only has the NA distribution rights.

Reactions: BluMan Chu

Says 1080p on the j-card. Full gloss and not bare metal. :thumbs:

Any live pics?

Pics.

BJPEDi.jpg
M10wzC.jpg
E5jULv.jpg
3B4tr0.jpg

Says 1080p on the j-card.

That's good news. The German release was 1080p so hopefully Studio Canal went with that rather than the former Optimum 1080i version!

Fantastic movie, doesn't get enough attention.

• Thanks
Reactions: spass