The Wizard of Oz (4K+2D & 2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [USA]

dfoles

Scanner Ninja
Contributor
Premium Supporter
May 15, 2013
GA
Release date: October 29, 2019
Purchase links: Best Buy (4K+BD) - FYE (BD+DVD)
Price: $29.99 (Best Buy) - $22.99 (FYE)

1566277734402.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Worth noting is Using state of the art technology, a new 8K 16bit scan of the original Technicolor camera negative became the basis for the 4K UHD scan. The process was overseen by MPI colorist Janet Wilson, who has overseen every remaster of The Wizard of Oz for the past 20 years. I think that is pretty big not only technically but from the human element you have a person who is truly improving on their past work. - Hi-Def Ninja

Watched the UK zavvi steelbook of this 4k pressing early on and it's jaw dropping...... Colours are astonishing and the soundtrack so immersive. It makes the old blu-ray look crap

New 4K transfer truly looks amazing, and the steelbook is nice as well. Looks like it’s “spot gloss” but the entire steelbook is glossy aside for the title, which is satin matte. The poppies are a nice subtle metallic red effect and the interior is bright and colorful.

All in all, definitely worth owning.

Looks like the UK version is the one to own... spot glossing to Dorothy and title with debossing.

Looks like the UK version is the one to own... spot glossing to Dorothy and title with debossing.

I would like the debossed title, but unless something has changed with the SteelBook manufacturers, I would rather have the US version's brighter colors to the darker U.K. version.

Reactions: Noodles
I would like the debossed title, but unless something has changed with the SteelBook manufacturers, I would rather have the US version's brighter colors to the darker U.K. version.
Oh, I hadn't realised there was a difference in regards to the colours. But yeah... both turned out really nice to be fair, and I suppose it's down to personal preference as to which somebody prefers.

Oh, I hadn't realised there was a difference in regards to the colours. But yeah... both turned out really nice to be fair, and I suppose it's down to personal preference as to which somebody prefers.

That's been the case with the Disney/Marvel/Pixar SteelBooks I've bought US and Asia/Europe/U.K. releases for. They're manufactured in different SteelBook manufacturers, so either the colors aren't calibrated the same, or they're intentionally changed for their markets. It's a shame, as I do like the extra embossing/debossing the non-US releases get.

UK version definitely wins IMO. If I ever want full gloss, I can spray the UK one... It's too hard to 'boss a steel :D