Now Streaming Too Old to Die Young (Season 1) [Amazon Prime]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
From creator Nicolas Winding Refn (Bronson, Drive, The Neon Demon). Too Old to Die Young explores the criminal underbelly of Los Angeles by following characters' existential journeys from being killers to becoming samurais in the City of Angels.

Attachments

• DVdIPLbVMAA3G7n.jpg
    DVdIPLbVMAA3G7n.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 342
  • Informative
Reactions: PunkNinja
@Sigill Today's the day! :D
Haha sure is mate! Have you watched any episodes yet? I was thinking of binge watching but I think I’m going to try and take my time with it. It looks like a lot of episodes are 90 minutes long so I’m trying not to rush it although that will be easier said than done!:)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I'm on episode 4 now and I'm not really loving it tbh. One lingering shot of a character had me laughing because it was so pointless and the way he shoots dialogue is so overly slow most of the time. Beautifully shot though.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
What do you think @Noodles! I’ve only watched the first episode so far. It is full on Refn!! I have to admit it is slow, it’s probably slower paced than his films. The visuals and soundtrack are fantastic though. I’m liking it so far.:)

• Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Noodles and harry
What do you think @Noodles! I’ve only watched the first episode so far. It is full on Refn!! I have to admit it is slow, it’s probably slower paced than his films. The visuals and soundtrack are fantastic though. I’m liking it so far.:)
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you mate... will message you about that soon.

As for the show... I watched the first 2 episodes some weeks ago and haven't been back yet lol. I loved the first episode, but the second one really dragged IMO - I'm getting the impression it's basically a full feature film just stretched out over 10 episodes, so it's obviously reeeeeally slow. I agree with you though... it definitely has NWR written all over it! The visuals and score are amazing like you said. I'm sure I'll continue with it eventually anyway... just need to be in the right mood.

Have you progressed any further bud?

• Thanks
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you mate... will message you about that soon.

As for the show... I watched the first 2 episodes some weeks ago and haven't been back yet lol. I loved the first episode, but the second one really dragged IMO - I'm getting the impression it's basically a full feature film just stretched out over 10 episodes, so it's obviously reeeeeally slow. I agree with you though... it definitely has NWR written all over it! The visuals and score are amazing like you said. I'm sure I'll continue with it eventually anyway... just need to be in the right mood.

Have you progressed any further bud?
Hey Nick, just finished it the other night. My feelings are mixed but I’m in the more love it then hate it camp! Lol. It was pure Refn style, I did think he dragged it out a lot though. Some beautiful shots but as you said he could have fit the storyline into a film length I think. I did think the second half was better then the first, after episodes 4 and 5 it seemed to pick up. I also thought it was pretty restrained considering it was NWR but things get pretty crazy later on! Lol.
I think I will need to give it some time but overall I liked it, not exactly what I was expecting but still good! I agree with you about episode 2 mate, that did drag. It’s probably the worst of the episodes IMO. I wasn’t big on the ending either but I will chat with you when you get chance to see it!:D

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and harry
Hey Nick, just finished it the other night. My feelings are mixed but I’m in the more love it then hate it camp! Lol. It was pure Refn style, I did think he dragged it out a lot though. Some beautiful shots but as you said he could have fit the storyline into a film length I think. I did think the second half was better then the first, after episodes 4 and 5 it seemed to pick up. I also thought it was pretty restrained considering it was NWR but things get pretty crazy later on! Lol.
I think I will need to give it some time but overall I liked it, not exactly what I was expecting but still good! I agree with you about episode 2 mate, that did drag. It’s probably the worst of the episodes IMO. I wasn’t big on the ending either but I will chat with you when you get chance to see it!:D
Hey bud, glad to hear you liked it overall! To be honest it's feeling like a bit of a chore to watch at the moment... I keep thinking about cracking on with it, but I soon decide I can't be bothered, which is obviously never a good thing. I was well up for more after the first episode, then episode 2 left me feeling a little disappointed, so I'm hoping I'll fall back into enjoying it again now that the worst episode is out of the way lol. I've just started watching season 3 of Strange Things though, so will most likely continue with TOTDY once I've finished that. I look forward to discussing it with you mate. :thumbs:

Hey bud, glad to hear you liked it overall! To be honest it's feeling like a bit of a chore to watch at the moment... I keep thinking about cracking on with it, but I soon decide I can't be bothered, which is obviously never a good thing. I was well up for more after the first episode, then episode 2 left me feeling a little disappointed, so I'm hoping I'll fall back into enjoying it again now that the worst episode is out of the way lol. I've just started watching season 3 of Strange Things though, so will most likely continue with TOTDY once I've finished that. I look forward to discussing it with you mate. :thumbs:
Yeah you definatly need to be in the mood for it! I will be honest mate I got to episode 5 and I took a break. I was only going to watch a few episodes at a time but something kept dragging me back! It is equally brilliant and frustrating. Some parts are excellent and other bits you are thinking come on, get on with it! Lol.
It reminded me of watching Twin Peaks The Return, I felt almost exactly the same with that, it was good but so slooow! Lol.
Ok mate, I need to start watching Stranger Things too! It’s next on the list, so many good series to watch! It’s hard to fit them all in!:)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I completely missed this, largely because it was never released on any discs, and I am not paying a cent for any streaming service (besides YouTube Premium, just to get rid of ads).
Anyway, I've been pointed towards this series, which didn't require much effort, just the name of the director and one of the posters was enough of course.
I've loved the first episode, which are each, by the way, like a movie by itself, most are 76-90+ minutes! Barely sat through the second, must admit - I was literally muttering on the screen aloud "DIE ALREADY", and he did within seconds, so that was a relief of sorts.
Then every episode after that was one better than the other, loved Jena Malone, was all ready to sign up for her 'missions', and now on the 6th episode, and I have a new favorite character to add to the top list - Yaritza played by Christina Rodlo. I wish I had a wife like that, we'd wreck havock.

Last edited by a moderator: