81o6vqg+wnL._SL1500_.jpg

81bca16DnBL._SX385_.jpg
81tnrcanylL._SX385_.jpg
81sormwsHPL._SX385_.jpg
81Qp9nknDLL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: apsmith21
From the tiny mock-up of the back I'd be hard pushed to spot the difference between the two planes - apart from the different shaped cockpits - but if it's really that important to warrant a change for movie accuracy plus a five months delay then yes TC's TOP GUN (1986) plane was the F-14 - in US service until 2006 (introduced in September 1974 and retired in September 2006 with the last one built in 1991) but the F-15 pictured on the steelbook (1972 - present) is acknowledged to be a better plane - something that might explain its longevity compared to the 'Top Gun' F-14 plane:-
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

The plane in the remake (F/A-18 Hornet):-
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Despite your google levels of knowledge there are people who would not be hard pressed to notice the incorrect use of such an iconic plane. What on earth does the Eagle being a “better” aircraft than the Tomcat have to do with Paramount using the correct image on the steelbook?
Maybe on the next Drive steelbook they could put Ryan Gosling in an M5 as it’s a better car than a a Chevy Malibu?

Last edited:
Reactions: DMD4k
From the tiny mock-up of the back I'd be hard pushed to spot the difference between the two planes - apart from the different shaped cockpits - but if it's really that important to warrant a change for movie accuracy plus a five months delay then yes TC's TOP GUN (1986) plane was the F-14
I thought the steel was being delayed after Paramount learned that the airplane profile on the cover was of an F-15 and not of an F-14, not because of the steel back you're pointing to. The fighter on the back is neither.
But overall I kind of agree. For accuracy sake they should change the profile, but is it that important that it warrants months of delay? I don't think so, maybe, meh. I think I could live with the Eagle on there, it's not like the others featured are better (already mentioned that earlier in this thread or others). For example, you google better than whoever picked that profile at Paramount, so someone should get fired.
- in US service until 2006 (introduced in September 1974 and retired in September 2006 with the last one built in 1991) but the F-15 pictured on the steelbook (1972 - present) is acknowledged to be a better plane - something that might explain its longevity compared to the 'Top Gun' F-14 plane:-
It's got nothing to do with being a better or a worse plane. They didn't compete against each other, you have to go a little deeper than that. The F-14 was a Navy fighter, the F-15 was an Air Force fighter. Their roles were quite different.
The longevity of the Tomcat, or lack thereof, wasn't due to it being a bad plane, more likely due to its production cost and complex maintenance.
The plane in the remake (F/A-18 Hornet):
It's actually not a Hornet, but a Super Hornet. They sound alike but are not the same.

Last edited:
I thought the steel was being delayed after Paramount learned that the airplane profile on the cover was of an F-15 and not of an F-14, not because of the steel back you're pointing to. The fighter on the back is neither.
But overall I kind of agree. For accuracy sake they should change the profile, but is it that important that it warrants months of delay? I don't think so, maybe, meh. I think I could live with the Eagle on there, it's not like the others featured are better (already mentioned that earlier in this thread or others). For example, you google better than whoever picked that profile at Paramount, so someone should get fired.
It's got nothing to do with being a better or a worse plane. They didn't compete against each other, you have to go a little deeper than that. The F-14 was a Navy fighter, the F-15 was an Air Force fighter. Their roles were quite different.
The longevity of the Tomcat, or lack thereof, wasn't due to it being a bad plane, more likely due to its production cost and complex maintenance.
It's actually not a Hornet, but a Super Hornet. They sound alike but are not the same.
The delay is almost certainly due to Maverick being delayed until late December. I doubt they’re going to change the art.

The delay is almost certainly due to Maverick being delayed until late December. I doubt they’re going to change the art.
It's only the steelbook that got postponed to December

4K Amaray release is still May 19th and not affected

The reason for steelbook delay is the design of the artwork has to be redone
Paramount asked retailers to remove the steelbook existing mock up artwork from their websites.
They will be providing retailers the new artwork design when they have it ready to be shown

Reactions: TheWorz
I don't know if Google Translation will work, but...
I am also a designer. And I love movies.
It's important to design it beautifully, but above all, I think accuracy should come first on the movie cover.
it wasnt an attack ;) you know I like you and your pics. feel free to show us all the mistakes, it's interesting.

even when @DMD4k destroy every milimeter of the artwork I'll buy it.

Reactions: moon and DMD4k
It looks better for sure. I like that it's now an F-14, I think they're missing out on some real estate for the rest of the art by not displaying it with the wings swept back, but that's another matter.
I prefer the bluer hue of the original, I hope that's not lost now. They've also widened the gap between Iceman and Goose, not sure why that was needed.
If they've been able to fix the main issue with it in a reasonable amount of time, why not fix the other planes? And why push the release date back so much?

Last edited:
Reactions: apsmith21