Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
3.33 star(s) Rating: 3.33/5 3 Votes
Title: Totally Killer

Genre: Horror, Comedy

Director: Nahnatchka Khan

Cast: Kiernan Shipka, Olivia Holt, Julie Bowen, Kelcey Mawema, Randall Park, Lochlyn Munro, Charlie Gillespie, Stephi Chin-Salvo, Anna Diaz, Jeremy Monn-Djasgnar, Troy Leigh-Anne Johnson, Ella Choi, Liana Liberato, Nathaniel Appiah, Jonathan Potts

Release: 2023-10-06

Plot: Thirty-five years after the shocking murder of three teens, the infamous Sweet Sixteen Killer returns to claim a fourth victim. Despite the warnings of her overprotective mom, Jamie comes face-to-face with the masked maniac and accidentally time travels back to 1987. Forced to navigate the unfamiliar and outrageous culture of the 80s, Jamie teams up with her teen mom to take down the killer once and for all, before she's stuck in the past forever.

totally_killer.jpeg

I just came across the trailer - this is, like, so rad! :D
A time-travel slasher comedy set in the 80's, starring McKenna Grace Kiernan Shipka! Can't get any better.

Alright, I got a few things to go through here.
First of all, I loved it, a whole lot, so much that I think I watched it too soon in the Halloween month - closer to the end would've been better, a time for when I leave the better movies, usually a Rob Zombie film or a new Scream (this year it's Scream 6 obviously) - because Totally Killer is just the right kind of movie for this: it's got lots of great songs, it's fun, and kinda gave me a feeling of watching the first Scream - as close as that can happen now, 27 years later anyway - and I believe that's the biggest compliment I can give!

But it is very forcefully 'diverse' - we got all primary 'necessary' races among main friends: black, hispanic, and asian, and the only missing 'element' was a gay couple, I thought, till they snuck that in at the very end. I laughed out loud, it's so obviously 'by the book' now, like checking off a list.

Somewhat nagging might seem Shipka's character's constant mentions and attempts at correction of 80s 'inappropriate' behavior, but I understand that's probably needed for 'modern audiences', or younger part of it, to pinpoint the difference. Although I think people would notice everything themselves, otherwise it's like a bad unnecessary voice over.

The ending 'twist' isn't very believable either, but honestly I had a lot of fun watching the whole thing, and don't really want to pick it apart. Basically I think one can hate this, or love it, depending on what state of mind they watch it in. It's certainly a product of this time, with a more judging look at the 80's, than movies from the 90s or even 00's had, but it's still one of the best things I've seen this year, for my taste, and certainly in this genre.

P.S. When did Lochlyn Munro, crazy fun guy from Dead Man on Campus, and A Night at the Roxbury, Screwed, and others, became a Dad... man I must be getting old.
Love Julie Bowen too. *Sigh*

Reactions: Daubt
Hmmm was ok. Nothing worth remembering or anything. Bit annoying at times tbh. Just reminded me too much of happy death day and a similar film i can’t think the name of. The babysitter is one of the better teen black comedy slasher horror films of recent years.

Freaky, with Vince Vaughn?
It didn’t but I did only just watch that a few months back and yeah good shout it was similar in tone. A bit

Defo happy death day tho. Obviously different concept (a teen horror version of Groundhog Day - which although Is not a teen horror, Palm Springs did miles better) but it has the same kind of tone

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database