Completed True Detective (Season 4) [HBO Max]

Jan 25, 2012
Piraeus, Greece
The first official "True Detective" trailer was released this evening on HBO prior to the "Boardwalk Empire" season premiere and you can now watch it below!

"True Detective" is written by Nic Pizzolatto and directed by Cary Fukunaga. It centers on two detectives, Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) and Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson), whose lives collide and entwine during a seventeen-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana. The investigation of a bizarre murder in 1995 is framed and interlaced with testimony from the detectives in 2012, when the case has been reopened.

"True Detective" premieres in January of 2014.

Attachments

• True Detective.jpg
    True Detective.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 339
Last edited by a moderator:
A slow descent in quality from season 1. They peaked far too early. Hopefully the new writers have spent their time and money well.
Seasons
1. 10/10
2. 7/10
3. 6/10

First season is too slow and boring, and still haven't seen the third, because it looks like the first, only without great actors, but I absolutely loved the second, so many powerful characters, especially Vince Vaughn's and Kelly Reilly's, and Rachel McAdams was career best in it, so much good music, picked and original, so many awesome sequences and heartbreaking scenes.

Now I was excited for another season, especially starring Jodie Foster, but looking at this latest teaser am afraid it could be ruined by the BLM-mode everyone-owes-me-everything behavior of the second actress. Unless she's portrayed as a bad character and gets killed off fast.

First season is too slow and boring, and still haven't seen the third, because it looks like the first, only without great actors, but I absolutely loved the second, so many powerful characters, especially Vince Vaughn's and Kelly Reilly's, and Rachel McAdams was career best in it, so much good music, picked and original, so many awesome sequences and heartbreaking scenes.

Now I was excited for another season, especially starring Jodie Foster, but looking at this latest teaser am afraid it could be ruined by the BLM-mode everyone-owes-me-everything behavior of the second actress. Unless she's portrayed as a bad character and gets killed off fast.

You should be banned. And I do know this banning stuff ! :rofl:

Watched the first episode, was interested how the opening will be, as they're always great, and visually this one is on par, but the Billie 'Hellish' song isn't.
This series always had nicely selected songs, a few from each series (besides the third, still haven't seen it) have become my favorites.
Here there's one song closer to the end used in a montage that was already on my favorites playlist, so not a bad start.
Everything else however isn't very exciting yet. Clichéd 'old unsolved' case the main characters are obsessed with, that will probably tie in somehow to this new Dyatlov group inspired mystery at the research station, because the murdered girl was an 'activist' and there's always a bigger entity or organization involved in these stories. I bet something to do with a discovery that could be used as a biological or psychotropic weapon.
Also hope the dumb supernatural elements will go away or be explained somehow, because that's not what I watch this series for.
Otherwise there's a lot of seeds, diverse characters (in all senses) set up that could lead somewhere interesting.
Jodie Foster said that EP6 will turn the whole narrative upside-down, so you'd rethink and understand everything.

P.S. Here's that one good track:

Episode 5 was released 2 days earlier 'cause of head-banging wall on wall fighting tournament where they 'sometimes kick a ball' that's not ball-shaped, and I didn't even know.
But it's the best yet, with two major revelations and a powerful ending!
Can't wait for the feature-length finale!

Episode 5 was released 2 days earlier 'cause of head-banging wall on wall fighting tournament where they 'sometimes kick a ball' that's not ball-shaped, and I didn't even know.
Okay I'm a little intrugued now, gonna watch it tomorrow. Gotta say though, the season f*cking sucks imo (and I loved all seasons 1-3). It's not True Detective but some weird horror sh*t with unnecessary jump scares, bad acting and unrelatable characters all around. I guess they had to fall back to cheap tricks like jump scares because they replaced the original showrunner and writer.

It's not True Detective but some weird horror sh*t with unnecessary jump scares, bad acting and unrelatable characters all around. I guess they had to fall back to cheap tricks like jump scares because they replaced the original showrunner and writer.
I absolutely agree about that, it's not what the series was about, I just hope all the supernatural elements get explained as mass poisoning by water contamination, or something.
Actually at one point I was expecting for no one to come from Anchorage they were waiting for, because the town would be isolated like in Outbreak.
Still hoping they'll just all die like in The Thing... :D

Started season 4 last night. 2 episodes in. Tbh I’m not feeling it. It’s very different (which is fine) but the tone and the kind of supernatural element they point towards feels out of place for True Detective. I know in season 3 he sees ghosts but it’s more PTSD and completely in his head. It fits. This they are pointing toward that lady (Fiona shaw) actually seeing her dead husband and him actually showing her things. Plus there’s a slight extra terrestrial Element to it too which seems just as out of place.

That thing esque frozen human ice orgy was f**ked up though

Started season 4 last night. 2 episodes in. Tbh I’m not feeling it. It’s very different (which is fine) but the tone and the kind of supernatural element they point towards feels out of place for True Detective. I know in season 3 he sees ghosts but it’s more PTSD and completely in his head. It fits. This they are pointing toward that lady (Fiona shaw) actually seeing her dead husband and him actually showing her things. Plus there’s a slight extra terrestrial Element to it too which seems just as out of place.

That thing esque frozen human ice orgy was f**ked up though
thanks for the tag-free spoilers for s3, asshat

• Haha
Reactions: Flloydo
hope that's the case, as i stated this exact same thing in the Reddit, that for me, is the only thing that can save it(a 2-hour finale)from being :notworthy:

Last edited:
thanks for the tag-free spoilers for s3, asshat
I mentioned no spoilers for season 3. I’m sure the second you see the Vietnamese soldiers you know they aren’t actually in his house! and it came out 5 years ago you asshat

Well this season truly pissed me off, and mostly so because I cared about it more, than others.
On one hand you have this awesome setting, interesting characters and elements, so much potential - on the other it's this director pushing her Thirteen Ghosts into a series that never had them, a popular, if not to say 'woke', 'opressed' native people, rioting for The White Man to go away, so they could live in their igloos without electricity, I guess, and a band of rifle wielding cleaning maids, that seven suddenly bloodthirsty group torture maniac grown ass men can't overpower.
If not for the amazing Jodie Foster, I wouldn't have finished watching it.

Yup, the entire season was crap. There was potential, but it was throttled by politics and weird 2020s hollywood race baiting that I can't help but feel like the writer/director (who for some reason replaced Nic Pizzolatto) had a personal goal to bring into this show. Season 1-3 remain great though.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Well that was an awful series. Didn’t feel anything like true detective. I don’t get why they made it a supernatural horror crime mini series with ghosts!? If you want to do that then make it It’s own thing. usually I love that setting of either isolation (The thing) or constant darkness (30 days of night) and I’d be happy watching it if it wasn’t connected to the rest of the anthology. But instead it feels completely out of place now. Plus it overall bored me anyway. Foster wasn’t great until the last 2 episodes but I did like the other lady and the young officer.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels like this

Only decent bit of the whole series was the final 10 mins of episode 5 and the majority of the final minus the ghosts. And that part where she’s getting interviewed right at the end was the only part of the series that felt like it was true detective.

Reactions: Lenny Nero