Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

rj531

Rock Ninja/Steelbook Contributor
Premium Supporter
Dec 30, 2011
Up North Canada
Release date: November 21, 2017
Purchase link: Best Buy US
Price: $29.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 1.18.27 PM.png

Valerian.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not good. I did a blind Buy on this, now you're making me think I should go ahead and return it instead of opening it.

DEFINITELY recommend you rent/download this before paying for the steelbook. I thought it would be as good as The Fifth Element (not my favorite movie, but enjoyable, and one of my wife's favorites). This movie was just not well made (silly plot that makes no sense and bad dialogue) and the main actors are miscast. It's missing the weight and grounding that Bruce Willis brought to the Fifth Element...it's super whimsical and doesn't really make me care about anything that happens. Might be more enjoyable for children. Movies like The Huntsman and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies are not good movies, but enjoyable enough that I own them. I have no desire to own this movie, even though the steelbook is nice. My two cents, hopefully it saves you some money.

DEFINITELY recommend you rent/download this before paying for the steelbook. I thought it would be as good as The Fifth Element (not my favorite movie, but enjoyable, and one of my wife's favorites). This movie was just not well made (silly plot that makes no sense and bad dialogue) and the main actors are miscast. It's missing the weight and grounding that Bruce Willis brought to the Fifth Element...it's super whimsical and doesn't really make me care about anything that happens. Might be more enjoyable for children. Movies like The Huntsman and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies are not good movies, but enjoyable enough that I own them. I have no desire to own this movie, even though the steelbook is nice. My two cents, hopefully it saves you some money.
Definitely gonna download it and see what I think. Thanks for your opinion

• Thanks
Reactions: JCC
I would hope the 4k version of the movie will be reference material as its a HDR dreamscape but have to see. I not sure I will pick this up since i have the fully loaded steel from UK coming

I would hope the 4k version of the movie will be reference material as its a HDR dreamscape but have to see. I not sure I will pick this up since i have the fully loaded steel from UK coming

Watched this twice in the cinema. In 3D first then in 2D. As a 3D film its up there with Avatar on a visual level, pretty much every scene was filmed with 3D in mind and Besson really goes to town, the depth level is absolutely stunning. The 2D "4K if you want" makes it one of the worst films of Bessons career and one of the worst sci-fi films ever made, as @JCC says it makes no sense and has basically nothing to care about it. This film purely exists to show what Besson can do with 3D, outside 3D its not even worth 1 outa 5

Nice, now there’s a cheaper source for side-by-side two-disc SteelBook frames.
Good to know. I go for The Dark Knight Rises for 3-disc, Steve Austin 4 Movie Collection for 4-disc, and Game of Thrones S1 or 2 for 6-disc.

• Informative
Reactions: Vangeli
Nice, now there’s a cheaper source for side-by-side two-disc SteelBook frames.
Also, if you don’t need 2-disc side by side Walmart has Hercules for $7.88 which is 2 on the right side.

Thanks! Yeah, there’s a ton of two disc overlap frames; if I need to mod a SteelBook to hold two discs I’d rather have them side by side and that’s a much rarer frame to find.

• Informative
Reactions: dfoles