What makes a Christmas Movie a Christmas Movie?

Nov 25, 2020
So with tomorrow being the 1st of December people are going to be watching more Christmas movies. And I was wondering, what makes something a Christmas movie.

Is Die Hard a Christmas movie? Why? Because it happens to be at Christmas? Couldn't Die Hard take place any time? But couldn't also Home Alone with very little tuning not be a Christmas movie?

Anyway, I made a video about this a few weeks back and I thought now would be the time to share.

Reactions: Billy Talent
Batman Returns is a Christmas movie.
Merry Christmas GIF by HBO Max

Home Alone
Krampus
Anna And The Apocalypse
Gremlins
The Grinch
Edwards Scissorhands
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Long Kiss Goodnight (somewhat)
Black Christmas
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (takes place around during Thanksgiving but giving me serious Christmas vibes)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Batman returns

those are the movies I watch during Christmas

Die hard, Lethal weapon or Cobra (stallone) I don't consider to be christmas movies...
hard to explain why, but perhaps they are all action movies so I auto place em under action.

Reactions: Noodles
Home Alone
Krampus
Anna And The Apocalypse
Gremlins
The Grinch
Edwards Scissorhands
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Long Kiss Goodnight (somewhat)
Black Christmas
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (takes place around during Thanksgiving but giving me serious Christmas vibes)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Batman returns

those are the movies I watch during Christmas

Die hard, Lethal weapon or Cobra (stallone) I don't consider to be christmas movies...
hard to explain why, but perhaps they are all action movies so I auto place em under action.
Ok so what is your stance on the new 87 North movie Violent Night? Which is absolutely an action movie and is literally about Santa...

Because it doesn't have that usual Christmas spirit... it just simply takes place during that time of year. It'd be like calling Snowpiercer an Xmas movie because it has snow in it lol.
I mean it is set on Christmas Eve though. And Snowpiercer is actually set at on the eve/day of the New Year so I never put that together before but I am now adding Snowpiercer to next years list. As I just watched it the other day lol.

Ok so what is your stance on the new 87 North movie Violent Night? Which is absolutely an action movie and is literally about Santa...
Violent Night is a christmas movie, the trailer is filled with Christmas reference...I mean it's santa kicking ass, so hard to not call that one a christmas movie XD
There are a bunch of christmas movies I didnt even add like that Movie on Netflix with Kurt Russell where he plays santa.

You gotta have a lot of Christmas decor and references and background where ever they are for me to have that Christmas feeling.

Violent Night is a christmas movie, the trailer is filled with Christmas reference...I mean it's santa kicking ass, so hard to not call that one a christmas movie XD
There are a bunch of christmas movies I didnt even add like that Movie on Netflix with Kurt Russell where he plays santa.

You gotta have a lot of Christmas decor and references and background where ever they are for me to have that Christmas feeling.
You would absolutely hate my Christmas list then haha.

• Haha