• Number of discs: 1
  • Rated:
    NR
    Not Rated
  • Studio: Warner Archive Collection
  • DVD Release Date: May 3, 2016
  • Run Time: 131 minutes
order here !

Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton are ideal as malevolent marrieds Martha and George in first-time-director Mike Nichols’ searing film of Edward Albee’s groundbreaking Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Taylor won her second Academy Award* (and New York Film Critics, National Board of Review and British Film Academy Best Actress Awards). Burton matches her as her emotionally spent spouse. And George Segal and Best Supporting Actress Oscar winner Sandy Dennis score as another couple straying into their destructive path. The movie won a total of five Academy Awards** and remains after five decades a taboo-toppling landmark.
  • Commentaries
    • With Cinematographer Haskell Wexler: Wexler focuses on the technical details of shooting the film, discussing lights, lenses and exposures and pointing out shots that involved special challenges. He also describes how he was hired (which required abandoning another commitment), discusses his working relationship with Nichols and relates anecdotes about Taylor, Burton and the crew. Near the end of his commentary, which concludes half an hour before the film, Wexler briefly discusses the making of Medium Cool, which he directed.
    • With Director Mike Nichols and Steven Soderbergh: Following on their successful collaboration on a DVD commentary for Catch-22, Soderbergh and Nichols discuss both Virginia Woolf and the craft of directing. Nichols discusses his naivete about certain aspects of filmmaking, relates production stories and points out aspects of the film he doesn't like. Soderbergh watches with the eye of a fellow director, focusing on technical points of cinematic craft. Never dull, it's a discussion that enhances one's understanding of the practical day-to-day demands of shooting a film.

• Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: Too Shocking for Its Time (480i; 1.78:1, enhanced; 10:37): Former MPAA head Jack Valenti discusses the controversy over the film's language and subject matter. Other participants include film critic Richard Schickel, film professor Dr. Drew Casper and Bobbie O'Steen, widow of the film's editor.

• Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: A Daring Work of Raw Excellence (480i; 1.78:1, enhanced; 20:14): This featurette provides both a critical overview of Albee's play and a history of its journey to the screen. The participants from the previous featurette reappear, along with Wexler and, of special note, playwright Edward Albee.

• 1966 Mike Nichols Interview (480i; 1.33:1; 9:00): Interviewed by NBC shortly after the film's release, Nichols discusses his directing style, the making of Virginia Woolf and his life and career up to that point.

• Sandy Dennis Screen Test (1080p; 2.35:1; 7:13): A portion of this screen test appears in "A Daring Work of Raw Excellence". Roddy McDowall plays Nick.

• Elizabeth Taylor: Intimate Portrait (480i; 1.33:1; 1:06:31): This original documentary aired on ABC in 1975. Hosted by Peter Lawford, it's an unabashed love letter to the star, including interviews with Rock Hudson, Roddy McDowall, director Richard Brooks and Taylor's mother, Sara.

• Trailers
    • The Comedians (480i; 1.33:1; 1:24)
    • The Sandpiper (480i; 1.85:1; 3:24)
    • The V.I.P.s (480i; 2.35:1; 4:06)
    • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1080p; 1.78:1; 2:13)

saw this first time as i was a kid. and still, was mesmerized of burton and taylor. not your average kids movie. but could not take my eyes of the small black n white tv screen. absolute classic. well, maybe i'm a bit strange.