italy
Release date: May 5 , 2016
Purchase links:
Amazon.fr
FNAC
Price: €14.99 (Amazon) - €16.99 (FNAC)

81PDUO+AgBL._SY679_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
France is still so out of touch with the steelbook collector community. why on earth would they make it G1 in 2016. so much french text all the time. upside down spines. G1 size??!!

I have 1 single steelbook in my entire collection from France. Turbo with Lenticular magnet. Great steelbook but the spine is still upside down. they just don't get it.

France is still so out of touch with the steelbook collector community. why on earth would they make it G1 in 2016. so much french text all the time. upside down spines. G1 size??!!

I have 1 single steelbook in my entire collection from France. Turbo with Lenticular magnet. Great steelbook but the spine is still upside down. they just don't get it.
Yeah, I've got the French The Hobbit: an unexpected journey, lenticular. Also great. But French title and spine upside down (seriously, what's up with that?)

Yeah, I've got the French The Hobbit: an unexpected journey, lenticular. Also great. But French title and spine upside down (seriously, what's up with that?)

OR

They're catering to the French market, not the international "collector community", and by and large consumers aren't bothered with "La trilogie" and "La prélogie".

These are the first G1 steelbooks in a while. As far as I can remember, in the past couple of years only extended editions of The Hobbit 1 & 2 had G1 steelbooks (on top of being jumbos) - The Hobbit 3 oddly enough was G2 and not jumbo.

As for the spine, it's only upside down if you choose to see it that way :D. Every French book, every French DVD, Blu-ray and a majority of steelbooks (assuming they aren't shared print runs) have a spine "facing" the front because that's how spines have been done forever here. I believe it's the same in Germany.

I personally see it as the correct way, and since I've started collecting steelbooks from all around the world where the spine is the other way around, I've learned not to care about it. I store all my French steelbooks together, ditto for my German steelbooks, so you have mostly uniform spines (again, shared print runs mean spines facing the other way).

But I'll agree that putting out a G1 steelbook for Blu-rays just because you're doing one with DVDs (here's the DVD one) and didn't want to do another case is lazy and surprising - Fox France hasn't had G1 steelbooks for Blu-rays in ages, if ever (I started collecting in 2012 and I don't recall seeing one from them.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: augustus
OR

They're catering to the French market, not the international "collector community", and by and large consumers aren't bothered with "La trilogie" and "La prélogie".

These are the first G1 steelbooks in a while. As far as I can remember, in the past couple of years only extended editions of The Hobbit 1 & 2 had G1 steelbooks (on top of being jumbos) - The Hobbit 3 oddly enough was G2 and not jumbo.

As for the spine, it's only upside down if you choose to see it that way :D. Every French book, every French DVD, Blu-ray and a majority of steelbooks (assuming they aren't shared print runs) have a spine "facing" the front because that's how spines have been done forever here. I believe it's the same in Germany.

I personally see it as the correct way, and since I've started collecting steelbooks from all around the world where the spine is the other way around, I've learned not to care about it. I store all my French steelbooks together, ditto for my German steelbooks, so you have mostly uniform spines (again, shared print runs mean spines facing the other way).

But I'll agree that putting out a G1 steelbook for Blu-rays just because you're doing one with DVDs (here's the DVD one) and didn't want to do another case is lazy and surprising - Fox France hasn't had G1 steelbooks for Blu-rays in ages, if ever (I started collecting in 2012 and I don't recall seeing one from them.

um. no, bunk. just no. nice job trying to break down my points, but the problem is that they are great points. G1 = fail. yes the spine is upside down. it's not my opinion. and the majority of collectors who are buying a movie filmed in the English language do not prefer foreign text.

@Bunk I'm with you on this one.

I wouldn't be interested in acquiring either of these editions but only because they're G1 sized.

Expecting everything to be in English and to be done as it is done in the Anglo-Saxon countries smacks of cultural imperialism. It's no wonder that your compatriots in French speaking Canada are so zealous in preserving their own national and cultural identity.

Vive la difference!

um. no, bunk. just no. nice job trying to break down my points, but the problem is that they are great points. G1 = fail. yes the spine is upside down. it's not my opinion. and the majority of collectors who are buying a movie filmed in the English language do not prefer foreign text.

French distributors target the French market and develop products to be sold in the French marketplace and bought by French-speaking consumers. That's not my opinion, that's a fact.

They're not in the business of catering to collectors around the world. I wish they were, but they aren't. If Fox France was a small independant online distributor making 500-piece limited runs then in that case you could expect all in English because they'd be targeting a niche market.

DSC01897.JPG

I'll repeat myself: this is the way spines are in France (and Germany - and maybe other places in the world that don't have a big steelbook market so I don't buy frequently from there) across the board: books, comic books, DVDs, magazines, a large majority of titles are generally printed this way - Warner France has had exclusive steelbooks printed "the right way" as you'd see it, but I'm looking at my bookshelves and most titles "face" the front cover.

And I know the supremacy of the English language is a big pet peeve of yours, every country releasing a steelbook must not have a word in their own language on that product - and your only exception is for instance when a film takes place in Asia then it's okay to have Asian characters on the steelbook. But not everyone who buys steelbooks in France speaks English, sometimes titles need to be translated and I don't like it either, but that's what you need to do to move your product in the market you're targeting. :)

You'll never see a French distributor releasing a product saying "The X-Men trilogy". If they do, it's because it's a shared print run and they didn't want to bother printing their own batch. They target French consumers, they put "La trilogie" and that's that, American collectors buying online be damned, sadly.

And I wasn't disagreeing with G1 being bad. G1 does equal fail as you put it.

EDIT: I agree with what @augustus just said.

Last edited:
lol you guys are hilarious. cultural imperialism hahahaha.

listen. it's just my way of saying i think these french steelbooks suck when compared to the other options where the other retailers from other countries actually do consider the worldwide market. if france wants to keep their customer base local then fine. stupid business decision and that was actually my whole point. they can keep it.