#008 The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray Mondo x SteelBook) (Target Exclusive) [USA]

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Release date: July 28, 2015
Purchase link: The Thing (Mondo SteelBook)
Price: $24.99
Group buy: apsmith21
Note: Region free

Hidefninja.com Exclusive article

Beauty-Shot-the-thing-mondo.jpg

TheThingSleevepic.jpg

Attachments

• thing1.jpg
    thing1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 950
  • thingfront1.jpg
    thingfront1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 890
Last edited by a moderator:
If there's one thing that looks strange to my eyes is that the title 'John Carpenter's The Thing' is so far... to the left, you know? I don't know why that bugs me. Heh. I think I'd much rather have it all in the centre of the steelbook, sacrificing the view of the basecamp off in the distance maybe. Likewise I think the spine might look out of place with the rest of the Mondo steels on the ol' shelf since the title is quite close to the numbered section. It all looks awfully pretty though :)

Last edited:
Love the art, love the film, don't love the off-center placement, hate the Blu-ray.

For anyone that cares about the disc itself, it's missing extras that are on the UK release. Also, all Blu-rays of the film are DNR'd and have less detail than the HD-DVD. I won't be rebuying this until they release a proper transfer.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: swampwater
Love the look of this art and it's a great movie. Definitely the best of the 3 Target releases--which says a lot, because they're all great.

Reactions: MGD
If there's one thing that looks strange to my eyes is that the title 'John Carpenter's The Thing' is so far... to the left, you know? I don't know why that bugs me. Heh. I think I'd much rather have it all in the centre of the steelbook, sacrificing the view of the basecamp off in the distance maybe. Likewise I think the spine might look out of place with the rest of the Mondo steels on the ol' shelf since the title is quite close to the numbered section. It all looks awfully pretty though :)
The reason it looks off-centered is because it extends to the back cover.

It is the final art.

What many may not know is that where ever THE THING is written it has to be prefixed by "John Carpenter's" on the movie. So as to create a better look and feel and stick to the original composition of the art. (ie. not cramming the JC line in there on the metal) the JC line and THE THING title mention is printed on the sleeve.

However the spine is printed on the metal.

Lastly because the particular man who I should start calling John Hammond

LOVES THE THING so much he has went to town and added a foil treatment overlay to the SteelBook and given the sleeve extra overplayed title treatment where Jock created new artwork for it.

jh.jpg