Release date: January 18th, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £19.99

HDN Exclusive article here

01.jpg

02.jpg03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
49p can go a long way! :p

I combine, so it makes sense for me... plus I'd take Andy's superb packaging over Zavvi's any day. :D
@Noodles Do you have a link handy for @apsmith21's GB?

I've already placed an order with Zavvi (with 5% off) but may opt to go with a GB here over Zavvi as they're not overly reliable to say the least. Received numerous damaged Steels from them before and they're packaging beit "OK", isn't collector grade in any way LOL :facepalm::facepalm: May be a safer bet with Andy's GB?!

EDIT: Just found it but thanks anyway! :thumbs:

Last edited:
While its good to see Mondo Steelbooks getting a UK release, this is an easy pass. Already own the "gasoline can":

upload_2015-10-6_19-40-15.jpeg

and the plain-jane Steelbook from a couple of years ago:

And purely a matter of taste, but the art is a little too "Sleeping Dogs" for my liking:

Finally, I really don't like how Mondo write "Steelbook" on the spine of every title. I think it spoils the overall aesthetic. Each to their own however.

While its good to see Mondo Steelbooks getting a UK release, this is an easy pass. Already own the "gasoline can":

View attachment 192118

And purely a matter of taste, but the art is a little too "Sleeping Dogs" for my liking:

Finally, I really don't like how Mondo write "Steelbook" on the spine of every title. I think it spoils the overall aesthetic. Each to their own however.
That's just Stout's style. I like the art quite a bit. The only one I've liked better than this is Shaun of the Dead which is also Stout. I'd be happy if every Mondo steel was from Stouts art. Bring on the Stout Star Wars steels!!!

I completely agree about steelbook on the spines though. I think they could have done without that detail.

It's the Mondo X Steelbook line, the word has to be there, it's part of the branding.

And for those who missed it, read @tridon 's interview with Scanavo's Nick Coughan here.

I think he means the steelbook written at the bottom of the spine going up vertical, that's written inside every steelbook.
As far as I know that's noting to do with mondo "branding" they just decide to put it there for some weird reason.

And I agree it spoils it. Takes up a quarter of the spine

Reactions: bigstevie8582

View attachment 192118

I loved that game!!! :thumbs:

Brand new to Mondo myself, but instant fan !
Few questions though :-
1) Will the others in the collection running around in the wild be corralled and made available to me here in the U.K. ?
2) Is this Region A B ?
3) U.K. j-card ?
Certainly something different to my usual steelbook purchase though does remind me slightly of Jock's artwork for 'The Losers'.

1) Will the others in the collection running around in the wild be corralled and made available to me here in the U.K. ?
2) Is this Region A B ?
3) U.K. j-card ?
Certainly something different to my usual steelbook purchase though does remind me slightly of Jock's artwork for 'The Losers'.
At this time there are no plans to bring titles released already in other areas of the world to the UK. But it all depends on what studios and other parties will allow,so whether this changes, we will have to see. Lots of moving parts with these things. Zavvi is trying to work on exclusive titles, hopefully next year. But none of that is finalized yet.

• Informative
Reactions: virkia
Most helpful and logical when put like that - puts my fears to rest that Zavvi are again going to be selling steelbooks designed for other territories as they were doing not that long ago.

Most helpful and logical when put like that - puts my fears to rest that Zavvi are again going to be selling steelbooks designed for other territories as they were doing not that long ago.
Yes, the studio approves what retailers sells Steelbooks-if they decide to make them (with the same art) available to multiple territories, that is how retailers in different countries get to sell them. This will have a UK disc.

2) Is this Region A B ?
3) U.K. j-card ?

I have all bar two of the Mondo editions released to date.

Each edition has included the disc that is specific to the country in which it has been released. Licensing constraints would preclude anything different.

Most of the earlier editions have been exclusive to Canada and all of those have included the respective Canadian disc. In all of those cases, the US release had a different distributor which would have prohibited a US release.

Although the discs have been reprinted to incorporate new Mondo artwork to match that of the Steelbook, the technical specifications remain the same as the existing, previously released discs. This includes region coding.

A while back, in the Master List thread, I posted details of the region coding of all Mondo releases. That list only covers the first ten releases and ideally needs updating with the forthcoming releases that have been announced. It will, however, give you some idea.

The discs are identical to those released by the respective US/Canadian studios/distributors in other (non Mondo Steelbook) formats. It is their decision as to whether or not the disc will be locked to a particular region. Mondo is only responsible for the Steelbook design and have no say in that decision, nor for that matter does the retailer, be it Future Shop, Best Buy or Target.

So, there is no uniformity as to the region coding of the various titles in the Mondo X collection.

However, the following information is confirmed and may be of assistance to you.

#000 "Drive" (eOne Canada) Region A (locked)
#001 "Looper" (eOne Canada) Region A (locked)
#002 "Boyhood" (Mongrel Canada) Region A (locked)
#003 "First Blood" (Mongrel Canada) Region ABC (free)
#004 "Pan's Labyrinth" (eOne Canada) Region ABC (free)
#005 "Dredd" (eOne Canada) Region A (locked)
#006 "Flash Gordon" (Universal USA) Region ABC (free)
#007 "Shaun of the Dead" (Universal USA) Region ABC (free)
#008 "The Thing" (Universal USA) Region ABC (free)
#009 "Terminator 2" (Mongrel Canada) Region ABC (free)
#010 "Ex_Machina" (Mongrel Canada) Region A (locked)

To keep up to date with the region coding of these releases, it's really necessary to cross-check other sites and forums.

As regards "Reservoir Dogs", both US and UK distribution rights are held by Lionsgate. However, the existing discs for that title are locked to Region A in the US and Region B in the UK. The UK Mondo release will, therefore, be identical to the existing release, other than the possibility of new artwork.

Hope this helps.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: virkia
Andy has informed me that the target release is region free, so you have the choice of the Zavvi or Target. Now then Target cheaper, packaging from Andy, in another league in comparison to Zavvi, mmmmm let me think!!!!
@Goonboy I was under the impression the release from Target was Region locked A? :confused: Otherwise, like yourself, I would jump ship and opt for @apsmith21's GB over my Zavvi order any day of the week!

However, @Apollon confirmed otherwise in an earlier post on the Reservoir Dogs Target [USA] thread. See below... :ohno: I'm so confused! o_O
Region A per the mock-up below (click for bigger)

rsz_rd_insidewithdisc-png.191532
@apsmith21 @Apollon, apologies but please confirm region coding for Target USA's release? Locked "A" or Free? Thank you :)

Last edited: