4K Tv and Upscaling 4K Bluray Player

Jan 27, 2015
Hello I'm not sure where on this forum I needed to post this particular thread so if it is in the wrong part I am sorry as new here.

I recently brought a 4K TV along with an upscaling 4K bluray player all works fine no problems, I was told I did not need a AV Receiver for my setup so didn't purchase as was more expensive. Questions I want answered were;

With having a 4k tv and upscaling 4k bluray player make normal blurays come out in 4k quality or will i need to purchase the remastered 4k blurays?

Apparently PCWorld said normal blurays will upscale automatically.

I moved your thread here Darren. Your Blu-ray player will upscale normal Blu-rays but they won't be true 4K quality. Mastered in 4K discs will be better but they again aren't true 4K. There is no 4k disc based format yet but there's one due soon. You can read more about it in this section. Welcome to the forum!:)

Thank you for moving the thread, i tried same bluray on my upscaled 4k bluray player and picture doesn't change what so ever. Maybe i configured settings wrong im not sure. I know in PCWorld you can pay 45 for someone to come out and set everything up fully its just right now i think ive wasted my hard earned money on this system for something that looks the same to me as my previous 1080p samsung tv.

I will purchase 1 remastered 4k film on amazon for now and try that on Thursday when it arrives see what that produces so hoping a lot better than what im currently experiencing.

Would you recommend me going back to PCWorld?

First of all, Welcome to HDN! :woot: :thumbs:

If you bought the 4K TV with the future in mind then I have to say this bluray player will be useless by end of this year. You will not be able to play 4K discs when they come out. Like Sigill said, they will upscale (similar to how it will upscale a DVD to Bluray quality) but it's not true 4K. Why don't you wait and get a 4K Bluray player when it comes out? (I believe they should be out later this year)

Also, how big is the TV and how far away from the TV will be you be sitting from?

I didn't pay an awful lot only £100 for the upscaling bluray 4k player anyway so not awfully fussed i can sell on towards a 4k bluray player when released as you said but for now it will do.

The TV i have is 42 inch smart 3d 4k tv and i believe 900 or 1200hz quadcore processor too.

Im currently sitting around a foot or two away and sometimes 1ft away but i do notice a difference sitting that close as previous tv was blurry where as this tv isn't being that close so not sure if thats how should be on my current new tv i have?

Its not bad having the 4k tv ... you just have to wait for the 4k blu-ray. BDA has said it would come like summer 15' ... who knows if that gets pushed back.

a remastered 4k blu-ray you see available now ... is still on a 1080p disc ... marketing ploy like the superbit dvds. Those that are remastered to 4k will be easy for them to transfer to true 4k discs when they come out.

Ok thank you for all your help everyone who has commented in these posts. I just opened a new remastered 4k movie tried playing it and it said when loading disk that the disk wasn't supported so checked the box and it says on bluray player box upscaling 4k bluray player so maybe they sold me wrong player im not sure also so at moment remastered 4k films wont play anyway

Ok thank you for all your help everyone who has commented in these posts. I just opened a new remastered 4k movie tried playing it and it said when loading disk that the disk wasn't supported so checked the box and it says on bluray player box upscaling 4k bluray player so maybe they sold me wrong player im not sure also so at moment remastered 4k films wont play anyway
I think the Blu-ray player may need a firmware update. Sometimes Blu-rays won't play unless you update to the latest firmware. You should be able to do that over the internet or by contacting the manufacturer of the player. As others have said I don't think you will be able to see a massive difference if any between an upscaled Blu-ray and a 1080p picture. Once the Ultra HD format is released you will get the full benefit.

I'm not sure you're going to see the benefit on the tv of that size anyway.

I was on the understanding you need a 55" or bigger for your eyes to fully appreciate the true difference between HD and 4k. - which is why you're not really seeing much change.

I'm not sure you're going to see the benefit on the tv of that size anyway.

I was on the understanding you need a 55" or bigger for your eyes to fully appreciate the true difference between HD and 4k. - which is why you're not really seeing much change.
The OP says that he is sitting 1-2 foot away from the screen do he should definatly see a difference. The further away you sit the bigger the screen need to be.