4th Annual 'HDN 2014 SteelBook of the Year'-Winner chosen

What is your pick for 2014 Steelbook of the Year?

• Iron Man (Blufans, China)

Votes: 68 15.7%
  • Under the Skin (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • The Pianist (Kimchi, Korea)

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • Captain America : The Winter Soldier (Nova Media, Korea)

Votes: 47 10.9%
  • Tangled (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 62 14.3%
  • Her (Kimchi, Korea)

Votes: 59 13.6%
  • V for Vendetta (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • Trancendence (Media Markt, Germany)

Votes: 27 6.2%
  • Mulan (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • There Will be Blood (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 34 7.9%
  • I Saw The Devil (Plain Archive, Korea)

Votes: 136 31.4%
  • Maleficent (Spain, Multiple Retailers)

Votes: 48 11.1%
  • Frozen (Blufans, China)

Votes: 97 22.4%
  • 47 Ronin (Worldwide, Multiple Retailers)

• Drive (Mondo, Futureshop, Canada)

Votes: 89 20.6%
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (Solid yellow color, Worldwide, Multiple Retailers)

Votes: 71 16.4%
  • Drive (Nova Media, Korea)

Votes: 134 30.9%
  • Jumanji (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 72 16.6%
  • Pacific Rim (Blufans, China)

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • Rush (Kimchi, Korea)

• Ender's Game (HMV, United Kingdom)

• Leon (Kimchi, Korea)

Votes: 49 11.3%
  • How to Train Your Dragon (HDzeta, China)

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • The Wrestler (Plain Archive, Korea)

Votes: 68 15.7%
  • Army of Darkness (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 39 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
steel-year-vote-720.jpg

Sponsored by the HDN Shop-browse for limited edition Steelbook collectibles and more at http://shop.hidefninja.com
& support the community!
shop logo.png

Hello HDN, welcome to our 4th Annual Steelbook of the Year community vote!

A number of exciting Steelbooks were released in 2014, with classic and new titles
r
eceiving the Steelbook treatment for collectors world-wide.

As in years past, your nominations were tallied until 1/10/2015 from our nominations thread (live October 2014) and the 25 most member-nominated titles are now contenders for Steelbook of the Year 2014 in our poll.
Please remember that you can only vote 1 time, but you can vote for multiple titles when you vote the 1st time.
Voting closes 1/31/2015 at 5:10 pm EST.
Have fun everyone & thanks for being part of the hidefninja.com community!

Past HDN community winners include Thor (2011), The Raid (2012),
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Zavvi) (2013).

image1.JPG

HDN's Official Youtube Channel includes many other individual Steelbook videos.
After you check it out the 5 minute recap video, join us on the forum and cast your votes right here!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 12.18.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 12.18.29 PM.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 64,547
Last edited:
I really don't get the fascination with 'Frozen' at all. If someone offered me it for £10 I'd politely decline and keep my money, if re-selling for a profit wasn't an option.

I'm actually sorry I missed out on the Elsa version, but theres no way I'm paying the prices the Fleebay scalpers want for it. Most I'd pay is £60. Tis a gorgeous steelbook. I will just bide my time as the ones over the £80 mark aren't selling, it's been the same listings for 99% of those sellers since it was announced.

It's definitely one of the best looking steels whether you like the film or not. :D

I'm gonna vote only for The Wolf of Wall Street, really amazing looking steelbook and great movie from quality director.

I think there should be option to vote for one title only though.

Last edited:
Well.. it's an interesting selection this year. Not sure what to think about the list actually. I'm not overly impressed by the 2014 nominations. Some true gems in here, but it seems like the steelbook market produced a better crop of steelbooks than what this list would initially suggest.

My "no hesitation" votes:

I Saw the Devil Plain Archive
Frozen Blufans
Drive NM/Plain Archive
Leon Kimchi

ISTD PA: Fantastic glossy steelbook with unique and quite appropriate look to it. Extremely cool PET slip option. Just an all around great package. Blind buy for me, and was VERY hesitant to watch this film, but once I did, I took a real good look at this package afterwards, and liked it more and more after having seen the movie.

Frozen BF: Honestly the final design of the actual steelbook was not my first choice at all.. In fact, may have been my very last choice. It's no secret that I am very big on character recognition. I cried foul with the Blufans Pacific Rim for the same reason, and even Rush Kimchi (until I saw that oh so glorious full slip). But Blufans won me over for the sheer effort and attention they put into this Frozen release. That goes a long way in my book. The finished product is a work of art and the slips are excellent.

Drive NM/PA: This one caught me by surprise. Blind buy for me. But I really liek this steelbook. Great style. And to me, the lenticular slip had great depth in the background. The extras are nice too. Basically, this package does not leave me wanting, and I suppose that's a great thing to say about it.

Leon Kimchi
: When first announced, I was over the moon excited about this. Leon is a very special movie. Everything was looking supremely excellent, but then Kimchi decided to use that oddball spot gloss of the names. Almost lost me altogther on this release. But I stuck with it, and once in hand, with that total win of a full slip (front and back), the perfection of artwork choices, the perfect extras, and the extremely unique clear slip overtop the full slip overtop the steelbook, I just fell in love with this release. I used to desire the Japan Digipack. Ha. No more. This Leon package ranks in my top 5 of my entire collection now.

My other 3 choices that I wasn't so sure about but decided to give them a vote:

Tangled Zavvi: I have a very difficult time voting for a plain vanilla (non-package) steelbook these days. This is nicely done steelbook. No slip. No extras. But a dam near model of perfection as far as the steelbook itself goes. I have always been over the moon for the Kimchi Tangled. So I expected absolutely nothing for Zavvi's effort, but I was very pleasantly surprised. This is a total win of a steelbook.

Transcendence Germany: I do not own this, but based on the pictures, I voted for this for 2 main reasons.#1... Extremely unique embossing. Never seen anything else like it. #2. Extremely unique back. I respect that effort. So it earns a vote.

Her Kimchi: After waiting patiently for 3 and a half years after ship date, I finally received this. I got the full slip. From what I've seen, both the full and lenticular are supremely praised to no end. I have heard the back and forth about the choice to use lil miss Scarlett on the front. And I have seen the back and forth about the uncrossed "t" in Samantha. Having seen the movie last week, I must say that I now have a pretty good opinion about both. Scarlett on the front - totally appropriate. She was a huge part of this movie, and if you think about it, her image is made up of ones and zeros, keeping with her true reality. And about that, what an incredibly ambitious idea for a full slip with that texture. About the uncrossed "t", I think it's slightly odd, but not really a big deal at all, and for a brief moment, it does show it as uncrossed in the movie. The steelbook... gorgeous and basically fantastic. The movie.... odd, alarmingly so. And I think that's why this release divides, but still a worthy steelbook release for top voting.

Some additional thoughts:

Iron Man Blufans: should definitely not be on here. That is a 2015 release. The vast majority of people have not yet received their copy and therefore cannot correctly vote on it.

Under the Skin Zavvi: Seriously? No for real.. Are you guys serious?

Captain American NM: Uh.. this should definitely 100% NOT have made this list. This is not "Top Slipcover of 2014 list".

Rush Kimchi/PA: I REALLY wanted to vote for this, but couldn't for one single reason... the inside artwork. I have over 200 steelbooks, and the full slip for this is absolutely 100% in my top 5 slipcovers of anything in my entire collection, and might be my top favorite. (competing with Leon or Tangled Kimchi). Nice steelbook covers, and nice extras, but I still can't help but think WTF about that interior. HDN chose wrong, ok? There. I said it.

Ender's Game Mondo/HMV: Fantastic steelbook exterior. One of the best I've ever seen, but sorta kinda weak interior. Should have been more appropriate to the movie. Was very close to earning a vote from me. If it had a full Asian style package I would have voted for it.

Last edited:
got my votes for a few but if it was down to a very small choice for contenders novamedia drive and hmv enders game purely down to the quality and it is a really well thought out steelbook loved the debossing nice work mondo

Reactions: digitalbabe
I still don't understand why CA Novamedia is listed? o_O Should it not just be Captain America The Winter soldier (Europe & Asia) ? As the steelbook is the same throughout Europe and Asia only the US & Canada are different. This is not the "Top slipcover, goodies" award but Steelbook of the year that's what I voted for...
As has been stated already there should be sub sections and one for slips to vote on..IMO

I voted for a few but I hope the #1 spot gets I Saw the Devil from Plain Archive. When you rate whole Package its the #1, when you rate the Steelbook itself its #1. It would be a great motivation for PA to get the 2014 #1 spot from the most important steelbook community in world wide web :thumbs::drool:

Does Iron Man (Blufans, China) count for 2014?

I didn't vote for it. Not that it isn't nice enough but because people are just getting it in hand NOW. I personally don't think it should have been included for that reason. Iron Man Kimchi would have been a better choice, for now.

That's why I didn't vote for it. I think it's a 2015 steelbook of the year candidate.

completely agree 100%, how is it that people can people be voting on a steel they haven't in hand or actually laided eyes on, not that im not saying it won't be nice but that should be a 2015 entry as in when they have it in hand should apply.

Based on those rules/logic i should have been able to nominate 'the imitation game' which i have a pre-order for in june. to me just seems too much love in blufans direction in this case imho.

also how rush uk was simply ignored and then a 2015 release is in there instead just shows flaws in the process by trying to squeeze in last bit of the year, rather than doing thru the year with the nominations but thats just my opionon.

basil :thumbs:

Reactions: dfoles and DJ IXS
I didn't vote for it. Not that it isn't nice enough but because people are just getting it in hand NOW. I personally don't think it should have been included for that reason. Iron Man Kimchi would have been a better choice, for now.
You're right, Kimchi Iron Man would have been the better choice of IM steelbooks. I think this may have been left out as not to rub it in the faces of members here in the UK who haven't received this yet due to border force problems. Otherwise this would surely have made the list.

Folks, if you are just joining us now-the list, as always, made up of the most member-nominated Steelbook titles. Nothing was 'removed' or 'added' to do anyone any favors. The poll has always been based on community picks and always will. Good luck to your personal top choice!

Last edited:
Reactions: harry
I voted for Under the Skin, Her, Frozen, Drive Mondo, and The Wolf of Wall Street.

Shocking that ISTD is that close to Frozen BF. People need to take each steelbook out of the package and look at the steelbook. ISTD is above average at best. I dont see how it gets more votes that Army of Darkness. In fact I am shocked that Army of Darkness is getting so few votes. That is IMO the best steelbook to come out of the UK this year and is easily one of the best steelbooks worldwide in 2014

I didn't vote for Army of Darkness because of the lack of title and black and white inside art.

If the Worldwide release had a title (front and spine) and a nice glossy finish, it would blow the Blufans edition away. I think the Steelbook artwork for the Blufans edition is pretty boring and generic.

I still don't think it would. I always preferred the elegant Blufans art. And the spot gloss finish is one of the best I've seen.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that Iron Man BF shouldn't be on this list as it's a 2015 release, and Nova Captain America shouldn't be in there because it's not a good STEELBOOK! :rolleyes:

Anyway, may the best STEELBOOK ACTUALLY RELEASED IN 2014 win! :naughty: :watch:

Status
Not open for further replies.