Purchase link: Amelie (live)
Price: £14.99

11243882-3074363309456875.jpg

11243882-3504363309936371.jpg

11243882-8204363309739877.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah please because it don't look like it to me

I agree still a lovely steel

Indeed, it is not spot gloss. It's simply areas where the ink is deliberately applied very thinly (kind of like stain on wood) so that the metal of the steelbook shines through. This is a common printing technique used on many steelbooks, which some people mistakenly believe is called spot glossing. But there's no name that I know of for the technique. It sounds/appears as if this is what they've done with all of the steelbooks in this series (Bronson, The Mist, etc.).

This was also the case with the HMV Hateful 8 steelbook. Personally, I really like the effect, although I slightly prefer spot glossing, I think.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
Indeed, it is not spot gloss. It's simply areas where the ink is deliberately applied very thinly (kind of like stain on wood) so that the metal of the steelbook shines through. This is a common printing technique used on many steelbooks, which some people mistakenly believe is called spot glossing. But there's no name that I know of for the technique. It sounds/appears as if this is what they've done with all of the steelbooks in this series (Bronson, The Mist, etc.).

This was also the case with the HMV Hateful 8 steelbook. Personally, I really like the effect, although I slightly prefer spot glossing, I think.

Yeah I just call it a metallic effect

Does annoy me when people call it spot gloss lol

• Thanks
Reactions: adarkcorner
artwork on this is very appealing but it is badly in need of gloss. so burnt out on zavvi.
and don't tell me it's the studio when all the other retailers consistently provide glossy steelbook after glossy steelbook. zavvi doesn't listen to anybody anymore. they don't give a crap what people think. i stopped ordering from zavvi over a year ago.

this amelie steelbook could have been great.

artwork on this is very appealing but it is badly in need of gloss. so burnt out on zavvi.
and don't tell me it's the studio when all the other retailers consistently provide glossy steelbook after glossy steelbook. zavvi doesn't listen to anybody anymore. they don't give a crap what people think. i stopped ordering from zavvi over a year ago.

Zavvi have no say whatsoever. They simply supply what they are given. You are best directing your bile at the studio concerned.

Or you an just tag them here @eonedirect

I remember that interview

Things have changed a lot since 2014 and they clearly over saturated the market and priced catalogue exclusives too high with quite a few coming out each month. They still price them high but there are less of them now (and i mean just exclusive titles to zavvi alone and not appearing in other countries)
A lot of us learned our lessons from those days and although they mostly sold out on pre order (zavvi sold out) we learned to wait for price drops after they used to come back in stock straigj after release which is mostly what happens nowadays

They don't have anywhere near as many exclusives anymore compared to the black swan, twelve monkeys, the game, the wicker man etc days.

I think with this title and the other 3 Eone titles they approached zavvi about these films and Eone had the final say in finishes. Adrian (eonedirect) mentioned all this a while back when trying to get art approved

Also the message @digitalbabe posted the other day from zavvi basically said all info on finishes came from Eone and it was them who told zavvi they have spot gloss etc

Last edited:
Reactions: adarkcorner
And I quote

Final say on artwork, though, is with the studios themselves and no design work is done by us.

It would certainly explain the dire artwork for a lot of titles. I've still recovering from the dire artwork for Quatermass and the Pit and don't even get me started on the pop art covers that have been "approved" over the past few years.

folks the point is... nobody at Zavvi cares to make a strong influence over the product. so many other retailers do so with great care and attention to detail. Zavvi plays a different game altogether.

I have bought hundreds of steelbooks from Zavvi. I bought their first one, Roger Rabbit. I have the whole Disney collection. I know that studios control the artwork and even the finish, but retailers are not forced by this. It's just that some choose to do something about it, and some don't. Let me put this to you another way.

Suppose I took a position at Zavvi as the Head of Steelbook Marketing and Distribution ( :LOL: hilarious... just made that ish up) Anyway suppose that happened. I can guarantee you this... I would negotiate with the studios and this whole notion that "we have no say in the design" garbage would be put to rest. They have no say because they are not grabbing the bull by the you know whatses. :OMG:

folks the point is... nobody at Zavvi cares to make a strong influence over the product. so many other retailers do so with great care and attention to detail. Zavvi plays a different game altogether.

I have bought hundreds of steelbooks from Zavvi. I bought their first one, Roger Rabbit. I have the whole Disney collection. I know that studios control the artwork and even the finish, but retailers are not forced by this. It's just that some choose to do something about it, and some don't. Let me put this to you another way.

Suppose I took a position at Zavvi as the Head of Steelbook Marketing and Distribution ( :LOL: hilarious... just made that ish up) Anyway suppose that happened. I can guarantee you this... I would negotiate with the studios and this whole notion that "we have no say in the design" garbage would be put to rest. They have no say because they are not grabbing the bull by the you know whatses. :OMG:

Oh I agree with you and i would be doing the same in that position

But you also need to remember not everyone has the same taste, something you might think is epic might be sh*t to another

I'm a fan of these 4 Eone steel designs, they were designed exclusively for the steels (just a shame they didn't go all out on finish to compliment them) with artists by pig someone (can't remember who) and they are not pop art

Some pop art to me is good and some is hideous, some original poster art is great and some is hideous but it may be the other way round for the next person

It's hard please eveyone (and we all know a lot of people are biased toward certain companies with premium editions anyway so it's no point arguing with them - example of this is people jumping on GBs for asian edition one clicks before they have even see art! But interestingly they always love the art even if it is really bad) but again each to their own

Film Arena doesn't and most seem to accept it is because they work with what they are given by the studio. Why should Zavvi be any different?

It is all just speculation though, very few people here actually know what goes on behind the scenes. I think your hypothetical is a little ridiculous, as much as I would like to believe that an individual working for a small company like Zavvi could dictate to multi-billion dollar companies the best way to sell their products, common sense suggests that it just wouldn't happen.

On the one hand I think that hardly anyone is unhappy with the ARTWORK on these Art steelbooks and on the other hand it's clear that nearly everyone is unhappy with the FINISH (myself included) on 2 of 4 that have been released to date.

Whose fault is it ?
An educated guess would be the manufacturer (Scanavo) and not the designer (Oink Creative), not the distributor (eOne) and not the retailer (Zavvi).
Why not eOne and Zavvi ?
Simply because both parties advised us that three of the four will have some sort of gloss treatment (Zavvi in its listing and eOne in messages to this forum and in contact with db).
This is something that I haven't picked up on from the images posted BUT then again I haven't ordered them yet so don't have them in front of me and cannot say for sure if the parts specified have or have not received any kind of gloss treatment. LOOKS like "not" though.

As we well know, BRONSON, AMELIE and SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE were/are all meant to have an extra touch instead of just being simply matte - unlike THE MIST which was always going to be simply matte - BRONSON with a "red gloss finish" on the blood and AMELIE with "a mix of both matte and gloss to make this artwork come to life . . . puddles finished in a charming gloss".

Wondering now if the upcoming SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE will indeed have "an eye-catching gold and orange gloss finish on the wheels, skull and chains" or if the answer to that will be a "No!" and "It will just be like BRONSON and AMELIE - a matte treatment with nothing to add another visual dimension" (as in no shine to the blood on Bronson or shimmer to the puddles as on Amelie).I live in hope that they'll get this last one right and that it will turn out as in the listing but I guess the chances of that happening are pretty slim, alas. Anyway, fingers and toes crossed for a good-looking SPIRIT.

However SPIRIT turns out my general feeling is that these 4 are all desirable steelbooks and much more collectable than the majority of U.K. steelbook because of the specially commissioned artwork the tidy spines without studio and Blu-ray logos and, well, just because . . . :)
Hoping for slight price reductions to secure my one copy of each.

Film Arena doesn't and most seem to accept it is because they work with what they are given by the studio. Why should Zavvi be any different?

It is all just speculation though, very few people here actually know what goes on behind the scenes. I think your hypothetical is a little ridiculous, as much as I would like to believe that an individual working for a small company like Zavvi could dictate to multi-billion dollar companies the best way to sell their products, common sense suggests that it just wouldn't happen.

yah. let's just totally ignore the fact that tiny boutique "one man" shops a fraction the size of Zavvi all over the world have been essentially controlling the final package (including finish) for years now.

you think Plain Archive from Korea has any say in the details?
how bout Blufans out of China?
Surely not a tiny company like HDZeta, who is absolutely OWNING the entire Terminator franchise with WEA glossy steelbooks.

not seeing how I'm being "ridiculous".

On the one hand I think that hardly anyone is unhappy with the ARTWORK on these Art steelbooks and on the other hand it's clear that nearly everyone is unhappy with the FINISH (myself included) on 2 of 4 that have been released to date.

Whose fault is it ?
An educated guess would be the manufacturer (Scanavo) and not the designer (Oink Creative), not the distributor (eOne) and not the retailer (Zavvi).
Why not eOne and Zavvi ?
Simply because both parties advised us that three of the four will have some sort of gloss treatment (Zavvi in its listing and eOne in messages to this forum and in contact with db).
This is something that I haven't picked up on from the images posted BUT then again I haven't ordered them yet so don't have them in front of me and cannot say for sure if the parts specified have or have not received any kind of gloss treatment. LOOKS like "not" though.

As we well know, BRONSON, AMELIE and SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE were/are all meant to have an extra touch instead of just being simply matte - unlike THE MIST which was always going to be simply matte - BRONSON with a "red gloss finish" on the blood and AMELIE with "a mix of both matte and gloss to make this artwork come to life . . . puddles finished in a charming gloss".

Wondering now if the upcoming SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE will indeed have "an eye-catching gold and orange gloss finish on the wheels, skull and chains" or if the answer to that will be a "No!" and "It will just be like BRONSON and AMELIE - a matte treatment with nothing to add another visual dimension" (as in no shine to the blood on Bronson or shimmer to the puddles as on Amelie).I live in hope that they'll get this last one right and that it will turn out as in the listing but I guess the chances of that happening are pretty slim, alas. Anyway, fingers and toes crossed for a good-looking SPIRIT.

However SPIRIT turns out my general feeling is that these 4 are all desirable steelbooks and much more collectable than the majority of U.K. steelbook because of the specially commissioned artwork the tidy spines without studio and Blu-ray logos and, well, just because . . . :)
Hoping for slight price reductions to secure my one copy of each.

Why would it be Scanavo's fault?

Eonedirect came on here and said they were matte, they then told zavvi they had spot gloss. So my guess is eone told scanavo to have a matte finish which turned into a soft smooth matte varnish but then mistaken the metalic parts (puddles, red) for spot gloss etc etc

It will be Eone picking the finishes

I don't think scanavo decided to go rogue!

There seems to be complete miss communication for these 4 between Eone, scanavo and zavvi

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
yah. let's just totally ignore the fact that tiny boutique "one man" shops a fraction the size of Zavvi all over the world have been essentially controlling the final package (including finish) for years now.

you think Plain Archive from Korea has any say in the details?
how bout Blufans out of China?
Surely not a tiny company like HDZeta, who is absolutely OWNING the entire Terminator franchise with WEA glossy steelbooks.

not seeing how I'm being "ridiculous".

If you notice those retailers are often dealing with smaller labels (Kimchi's relationship with The Blu Collection) or are distributors themselves (Novamedia and Plain Archive) and therefore have a lot more control over the finished product. The instances where these retailers are dealing with the big studios often results in WWA releases and/or frustrating efforts to get exclusive artwork approved.

If you notice those retailers are often dealing with smaller labels (Kimchi's relationship with The Blu Collection) or are distributors themselves (Novamedia and Plain Archive) and therefore have a lot more control over the finished product. The instances where these retailers are dealing with the big studios often results in WWA releases and/or frustrating efforts to get exclusive artwork approved.

yes Snoo. I've noticed. I own nearly all Kimchi and all Nova and all Blufans and all FilmArena releases.

At any rate, I think we've pretty well exhausted this. Much is unknown... I'll give you that.

But it certainly doesn't make the red tape any less frustrating to consumers and I just flat out don't see Zavvi doing jack squat for the collectors anymore.

yes Snoo. I've noticed. I own nearly all Kimchi and all Nova and all Blufans and all FilmArena releases.

At any rate, I think we've pretty well exhausted this. Much is unknown... I'll give you that.

But it certainly doesn't make the red tape any less frustrating to consumers and I just flat out don't see Zavvi doing jack squat for the collectors anymore.

Does make me laugh that in that interview he mentions zavvi focusing on premium editions lol

Wounder where they got with that?

I think they gave up :hilarious: