Are we seeing too many SteelBook releases in the UK?

Are we seeing too many Steelbook releases in the UK?

• Yes

Votes: 57 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Yes

• No

• Yes

• No

• Total voters

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Just having a look through the upcoming Steelbooks and from what I can work out it's as follows:

January - 14
February - 3
March - 4
April - 15
May - 5
June - 16
July - 3
August - 1
September - 1
October - 2
November - 0
December - 0

That makes 64 Steelbooks so far, with a handful more announced but awaiting release dates.

Of course these are all subject to change and i'm sure there will be more to come between July and the end of the year. I expect to see another couple of 'big' months towards the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: digitalbabe
Well if consumers are going to keep buying them of course studios will keep pumping more steelbooks and re-releases to so called limited editions lol. If money is to be made it be foolish for them to ignore it! In a few years time every major movie will have a steelbook treatment :naughty::ohno:

Speaking only as a Groupbuy Leader - that number is way too many :) about 100 too many :)

Speaking as a Consumer I would also say way to many although not quit as many - about 50 too many ...

Take care
John

Interesting to compare numbers from when I created this thread to what we are looking at now:

January - 14
February - 3
March - 4
April - 15
May - 3
June - 20
July - 5
August - 9
September - 14
October - 19
November - 8
December - 1

So in total that's 115 released or announced (with a release date) so far this year. EEK!

Reactions: frankfish44
Be careful what you wish for. When Play went down a lot thought the UK steelbook business was dead, myself included. People got excited when Zavvi picked up the ball, however I do think it is a little over kill with all the releases.

I think UK is going the way of Germany. The greedy retailers are thinking just slapping any design on a steel on as many movies as possible is sure way to make a quick buck. Soon people will get sick of UK steelbooks, just like most collectors are not buying German steelbooks anymore, except the very selected ones.

Only retailers like Futureshop continues to uphold a standard and quality to the designs of their Steelbooks. And they do ever so selectively.

I agree with there being too much steelbooks.

They are being made for any movie and some designs are not even that good, I wish I was around in the early days of collecting these .

I think UK is going the way of Germany. The greedy retailers are thinking just slapping any design on a steel on as many movies as possible is sure way to make a quick buck. Soon people will get sick of UK steelbooks, just like most collectors are not buying German steelbooks anymore, except the very selected ones.

Only retailers like Futureshop continues to uphold a standard and quality to the designs of their Steelbooks. And they do ever so selectively.

I don't think your last point is true, FS haven't released many quality Steelbooks recently at all, certainly not as many as Zavvi. The way I see it is that I can go to Zavvi for those titles i'm just glad to see get a Steelbook and then I can go to Blufans, Kimchi etc. for those extra special releases that are worth spending top dollar for. I wish Entertainment Store were more like Blufans and Kimchi. I would really like to see some extra special UK releases. Hopefully that is something they might offer with the release of Forbidden Planet and Natural Born Killers.

I will disagree with the notion that the UK is going the way of Germany. I buy and will continue buying German steelbooks. The difference is that German studios regurgitate steelbooks by re releasing them with the same artwork. We do not see Germany releasing as many steelbooks as the UK. You can actually plan for German titles as at times a whole month goes between releases and to add on to desirability, I often find German steelbooks include the necessary content as opposed to the UK.

Many will disagree but IMO, for example, finding nemo DE is more appealing to me than the Zavvi release as are a whole slew of other titles.

Many may be turned off by German titles on steelbooks, I am not. I would rather buy a German steelbook than a UK steel many times over and will continue doing so.

I will disagree with the notion that the UK is going the way of Germany. I buy and will continue buying German steelbooks. The difference is that German studios regurgitate steelbooks by re releasing them with the same artwork. We do not see Germany releasing as many steelbooks as the UK. You can actually plan for German titles as at times a whole month goes between releases and to add on to desirability, I often find German steelbooks include the necessary content as opposed to the UK.

Many will disagree but IMO, for example, finding nemo DE is more appealing to me than the Zavvi release as are a whole slew of other titles.

Many may be turned off by German titles on steelbooks, I am not. I would rather buy a German steelbook than a UK steel many times over and will continue doing so.

I could understand your opinion before, but this post is complete rubbish. Looking at the list of 2013 releases (last updated 10th June), Germany had released 67 Steelbooks compared to the UK's 41. Most were catalogue releases with all of the pet hates of collectors (printed backs, banners, lack of inside art etc.) with a few new releases. You don't like Zavvi or the UK it seems as far as Steelbooks go but the Germans have been milking collectors for much longer and not putting in half as much effort.

Reactions: hayemaker
I would love my whole collection to be Steelbooks so I don't care where they come from. but my wallet sure would appreciate some of them to be from the US :)

Enthusiasm for steels has been falling for sometime now. I just don't see the same excitement there was at the beginning of the yr. Some will argue the more the better.
I humbly disagree as I have yet to see a situation in life or industry where more has been better. IMO the more we see the worse it is for the hobby. Signs are there with declining values in some cases as soon as it is released.

Each week that goes by there is another UK release. Have we not had enough already?
Steelbooks are becoming a common thing and not special anymore. I want that specialness back but as long as the UK releases 120+ steels in a calendar yr I feel the hobby is being stretched beyond its maximum capacity.

I honestly think both Germany and the UK could with a bit of a slow down. I am personally happy to see classics and new releases getting the Steelbook treatment, but the 'floods' of titles we see now, and have seen in the past (remember there were many waves by other retailers as well, i.e Media Markt, Play, Amazon CA, Best Buy etc) cause people to re-evaluate what they wish to buy, and compare side by side different versions or titles, and set priorities. So this means some titles released on the same day may suffer.

But as a movie fan, unless you have an unlimited source of funds, there is no other option. I also think that there is a great deal of suspicion the less info is available, but then I also think about other retailers who don't share any of the info regarding finishes or print runs in advance, and they are still purchased. I think it was only a matter of time for Steelbooks to become more popular, because the momentum was gaining for quite some time, and with the incredible support they have gotten from the UK, Germany, and now Asia and the US, for instance, the studios would have taken more notice eventually.

As a collector myself for several years, I am currently buying a mix of titles-but generally I seek those with unique art/smaller runs. So for me, things like ES' Star Trek (Blu Cover), Kimchi's fantastic efforts to involve HDN, and release quality titles like the T2 package, Walmart's Villain ship, and some of Zavvi's standout catalog titles like Aladdin, Jungle Book, Close Encounters, Black Swan, etc are very cool and I am keeping those pre-orders. And I also hope for more 'meaty' flicks in films, which is why I was happy to see 'The Impossible' when I spotted it at Amazon JP. I have scaled down my pre-orders, over the years, because I simply had to make choices, but am still extremely excited about several titles, because I love the film.

I think Zavvi has tried to 'react' to a hole in the market because of the significant reorganization of UK retailers. And though I am sure they've made some errors, that only they will truly know of, internally, no matter how much speculation there is, I also know they are trying, by considering titles that many of our members have asked for in the past, by updating their packaging, and by keeping us updated with info as they are able to do.

I think since we are all in a position (on a forum that has helped certain titles be considered at all, and regularly shares feedback), to have our voices heard, we sometimes forget that that doesn't exist all of the time. While we know several industry members read our site regularly, this type of 'give your feedback' setting is not as common as we may think. Often retailers just post a listing for an item, and no one has any say about stickers, shrinkwrap, runs, slips, etc etc.

The UK does have a lot of releases right now (and not too long ago when Play had several 'waves' it was challenging then to keep up), and the best advice I can give you is to simply carefully select what titles mean the most to you from all retailers, not just those in the UK, and try to add those to your collection. If you think the price is too high, buy it elsewhere, or send the retailer a message and let them know you're not happy with their pricing. In the meantime, feel free to share any constructive criticism about any retailer or edition at HDN, as we've always welcomed. Rest assured that the current Steelbook market has been filled with new challenges for everyone involved.

For our large UK base, I do hope the spacing between titles becomes a bit less taxing. It's not fun to have to choose between titles, especially when they're much more limited than the Amaray, and you may feel anxious to 'not miss the boat', as we probably all have experienced. But no matter a retailer's selling strategies, marketplaces, pricing, or other aspects, it all comes back to the individual's buyer's choice.

Years ago catalog titles, for instance, were scoffed at for Steelbook treatment, and new releases only were emphasized. But an entire segment of movie tastes was initially ignored, very cool artwork neglected, and then eventually a few studios took a chance and released some older titles which is how we have the variety of Steels years later, to begin with. No one will ever please everyone all of the time, but sometimes it's necessary to step back and realize that you ultimately do have the power to steer your own choices. Don't buy titles in which you have no interest, and continue to give feedback, and credit when credit is due. All easier said than done, but at the end of the day it's one way you could use a balanced approached to some of these waves , re-releases, reprints, etc etc we're seeing now. Just a couple of thoughts from a Steel vet..enjoy the chat:)

Last edited:
Whilst I agree with your analysis DB, there seems to be very few retailers that are "responsible" with releases. HMV in the UK have always had good spacing between releases.

What I really want to say we have moved from one extreme to the other. Catalogue releases now dominate the market. Instead of moving forward, seems many are looking backward all the time. The feedback section is filled with what seems like 99% catalogue requests. In such a large community, votes of a few who visit that section regularly seals the fate of majority. Using that info IMO can be misleading. I agree that with time this hobby would change, but to this extreme so fast, NO.

Its great to have choice but too much of it is ultimately confusing because as movie fans and collectors, there are many factors that lead to purchases and non purchases. Having balance helps the decision making process

Ferrari's are highly desirable. Despite this, production is always kept low enough. Both buyer and car maker benefit from this. Wish steelbooks can find a happy medium somewhere sometime.

Hey Frank, all good points. Believe me, if the 'Feedback' section was the only criteria retailers used to pick titles, and no other factors were considered I'd definitely agree. But it isn't, because there are many other factors for all decision makers to consider before a Steelbook, and for that matter any other limited edition is released.

All studios focus on release date on new releases, and there hasn't really been a decline in those newer titles. The catalog releases and our idea to add a Feedback section (for any title-catalog or new), specifically to allow our members here to chat freely about titles, is fairly recent-and designed to be space to celebrate different movie tastes. The threads are for you guys to suggest titles you'd like to see (including new releases-please suggest away!), and for us to share any feedback for titles already under consideration, or to suggest titles that do poll high.

HDN has always been dedicated to providing real space for collectors to talk, suggest and give feedback in a very real way. The Staff here, behind the scenes has been advocates for collectors and many a reprint and re-release was stopped by our helping to educate some members of the larger industry on what appeals to the actual buyers because of our place in the Steelbook community.

But one thing to keep in mind is that even if all of those suggestions are passed on, the studio still ultimately decides what they want manufactured and how they want it manufactured-some studios are more receptive to feedback than others and it's always been that way. I can say that some of our major retailers have had great successes in incorporating feedback directly from our community and it has benefitted them because response shows it.

And when the factors that most Steelbook fans value cause the planets to align correctly, the result is usually positive. I think good things continue to be ahead for these limited releases, especially when there are a number of different choices in the market place. While they have become more popular now, there are still standouts with special treatment or design, or use of classic art work, and those shouldn't be forgotten. Our UK members are extremely outspoken regarding many aspects of the hobby, and we wouldn't want it any other way. As we always say as long as every thread doesn't 'devolve' into a debbie downer type atmosphere (it's catchy, gets tired, and ultimately nothing productive comes of it, because people just escalate anger, etc), we're all ok.

Last edited:
I personally really like grabbing catalogue titles. There is over a hundred years of great movies, so why shouldn't they get the Steelbook treatment? Why limit Steelbooks to movies from the last few years?