Ask Me Anything: The Tridon Edition (aka Ken's Random Chat Thread)

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
Ah, what the heck... ask away! :thumbs:

Terrific Trio.jpg

Reactions: ocielz
Hey Ken, Im always interested in directors so what are you favourite ones and when did you actually start recognizing their names?

Hey, Martin. Good question!

I have many favourite directors. It usually drives my wife nuts because I'll be like, "...and this film was made by one of my favourite directors!" She'll respond with, "All directors are your favourite directors!" :p

Off the top of my head, I'd list Guillermo del Toro, Cameron Crowe, James Gunn, James Cameron, J.J. Abrams, Joss Whedon, Edgar Wright, Hayao Miyazaki... see? The list goes on and on. I used to like Jan de Bont, too, but he kinda vanished.

There's plenty of up-and-comers that I'm enjoying, too... where I think they have big futures ahead of them! Those include John Carney, Neill Blomkamp, Gareth Edwards, Jennifer Kent, Matt Reeves, André Øvredal, Michael Dougherty, Gareth Evans, and Michael S. Ojeda.

Then there's hit-or-miss directors where I'll either love their work or not really care for it (I'll still respect the work, just not like it enough to ever watch it again). Some of those people include Steven Spielberg, Alfred Hitchcock, Kevin Smith, Kathryn Bigelow, Quentin Tarantino, Peter Jackson, Roland Emmerich, Luc Besson, David Fincher, John Carpenter... again, the list continues forever.

Prior to the second Transformers film, I would've actually said Michael Bay because I do love his old films (Armageddon, The Rock, Bad Boys, etc.). Likewise with M. Night Shyamalan; I used to praise him until his later films, beginning with The Happening (I do love Lady in the Water, though... a film that most people hate).

Honestly, I find it easier to seperate directors by helmers that only direct and then the talent that writes and directs. At the end of the day, though, I truly love a lot of directors and when it comes to picking a film to watch, I generally look at who wrote and directed it first.

Good read! Really enjoyed your answer Ken. I have my utmost respect for directors who write their own films - originality is the number one element for me. Good movies has to come out of the story, not the visuals, sound etc. - if its the other way round then that's a disaster.

Reactions: tridon
Good read! Really enjoyed your answer Ken. I have my utmost respect for directors who write their own films - originality is the number one element for me. Good movies has to come out of the story, not the visuals, sound etc. - if its the other way round then that's a disaster.

Exactly. You can have great sound and visuals... even acting... but if the story sucks, the film will ultimately suck. This is why I always say that a writer is just as important to a film as the producer or director.

Reactions: CollectorEmtee
How are you feeling today?

Not feeling too bad, thanks. Truth be told, my feet have been bothering me lately. I was diagnosed with something a few months back and I'm still feeling the after-effects. Mentally, I'm doing good. I feel driven, working on a new article for the HDN home page right now while watching Into the Woods.

Thanks for asking! :)

Reactions: luke98 and Flash
Not feeling too bad, thanks. Truth be told, my feet have been bothering me lately. I was diagnosed with something a few months back and I'm still feeling the after-effects. Mentally, I'm doing good. I feel driven, working on a new article for the HDN home page right now while watching Into the Woods.

Thanks for asking! :)

Aww
image.gif

I hope you are feeling bit better soon.

What's the new article about? :)

Reactions: tridon and luke98
YES! A virtual hug!!! :woot:

A couple things coming to the home page if all goes well... mostly horror-related being that it's Halloween Fest and all. ;)

Awesome be sure to tag me in them

What you think of into the woods? it was so not the film in the trailer for me

1.In your opinion, what is your worst looking Steelbook and why?

2. What film would you like to see in a Steelbook, that doesn't already have a steel release?

3. Are you in favour of movies having multiple Steelbook releases? ie, Ironman

4. The Khardashians. Why?

1.In your opinion, what is your worst looking Steelbook and why?

2. What film would you like to see in a Steelbook, that doesn't already have a steel release?

3. Are you in favour of movies having multiple Steelbook releases? ie, Ironman

4. The Khardashians. Why?

Hey, @bigwednesday0 -- thanks for the questions!

1. Probably the horizontal Pitch Black from Germany... hence why it's on my For Sale list. ;)

2. TrollHunter. I love my monster flicks and that's the one monster flick that doesn't have a Steel yet. Either that or the underrated Halloween masterpiece that's Trick 'r Treat.

3. I see nothing wrong with movies receiving multiple SteelBook releases, especially superhero films (as a comic collector, let me tell you, multiple SteelBooks for a superhero film is nothing when compared to variant covers for certain comic issues). At the end of the day, the consumer doesn't have to buy them all. Nobody's making anyone buy anything, so it doesn't hurt to have multiple options out there.

4. Because this world is obsessed with living vicariously through others. Also... the booty.

Hey, @bigwednesday0 -- thanks for the questions!

1. Probably the horizontal Pitch Black from Germany... hence why it's on my For Sale list. ;)

2. TrollHunter. I love my monster flicks and that's the one monster flick that doesn't have a Steel yet. Either that or the underrated Halloween masterpiece that's Trick 'r Treat.

3. I see nothing wrong with movies receiving multiple SteelBook releases, especially superhero films (as a comic collector, let me tell you, multiple SteelBooks for a superhero film is nothing when compared to variant covers for certain comic issues). At the end of the day, the consumer doesn't have to buy them all. Nobody's making anyone buy anything, so it doesn't hurt to have multiple options out there.

4. Because this world is obsessed with living vicariously through others. Also... the booty.
Hi Tridon!
Good answers, although I gotta say, never heard of TrollHunter! Lol

Reactions: tridon
@tridon

If we were all invited to a film
showing (hypothetically obviously)

What film would we watch?

Well, we'd watch QUIVER, of course. Seriously, if you guys feel like travelling, you'll all be invited to that premiere. ;)

But if we're going actual Hollywood flick, I think we'd watch NINJA ASSASSIN because that guy's got mad skills and, well, we're ninjas.