Ask Wreck: SteelBooks Questions

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I dont know how long I will do this, or if people have questions ... but I'll check this thread daily in case people have questions about steelbooks etc. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability from what I am allowed to say in some cases or just info you may not have seen me drop before in past threads.

Last edited:
One which is more known, and I think its one of the coolest is "Crackle Lacquer". Only 2 "Blu-ray" steelbooks have had crackle lacquer. 10,000 BC Germany and Clash of the Titan Germany. They are amazing, and every steelbook collector should own one to see how awesome they truly are in hand. I would love to see a third as that would make for a cool display in a trio stand. ;) Another real cool one (albeit DVD) is National Treasure 2 ....

I still dream for a Road to Perdition Steel like that, the awesome UK slipcover had this effect where the rain on the front was raised up by some effect. A Steelbook with the raindrops Craquelized would be awe inspiring.

Attachments

• Craquel.jpg
    Craquel.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Reactions: DJ IXS and MK50
Wreck is there any danger of A-Team or Man on Fire selling out soon? A number of the Fox wave have gone OOP and I haven't picked up these yet.

hey wreck:D do u happen to know if there is any plans to release halloween 1978 on steelbook as its one that I think would be extremely popular and would look quality with some debossing,I would love to own that on steel thx.

Wreck is there any danger of A-Team or Man on Fire selling out soon? A number of the Fox wave have gone OOP and I haven't picked up these yet.

Havent heard anything on a-team yet ... but yeah MOF should be gone pretty soon. Should be the next to go...

hey wreck:D do u happen to know if there is any plans to release halloween 1978 on steelbook as its one that I think would be extremely popular and would look quality with some debossing,I would love to own that on steel thx.

Havent heard anything yet, but if I had ... I couldnt say yet either.

Can we ask you about certain titles being considered for steelbooks or do you only get so much information?

Also, any idea on the stock levels for the Godfather play.com steel? Don't have the money right now but I don't want to miss my chance either.

Last edited:
When the consideration is left open to public opinion we host polls here and the such. So every time we're allowed to say you guys know first. ie. Even when I know of steels on the radar, being worked on, or official but not yet announced ... there is nothing I can say. Gotta have the "go-ahead" permission from those who are allowed to give. ie. studio or retailer.

Dont know about Godfather, but I believe you are fine on that for now. I can get better answer to that next week.

Reactions: Man of Steelbooks
Hey Wreck is there any indication that Play is getting more stock of The Raid? I know its a long shot but my order is still on "Awaiting Stock" lol they did say it can take upto 28 days to get them and thats next week lol

hey wreck will there be any disney waves in the uk. Also will paramount and universal keep doing small waves next year beacause this year was there 100th anniversary celebration and i thought it was for that thanks matt

Hi Wreck,

I know you're not allowed to say if this is happening or not, but are you working on a Terminator 2 SB to match play.com, similar art etc. Give us a sign... anything, it can be really subtle... Just tell me something!!! LOL

Hi Wreck,

I'm trying to resist the urge of buying the Indiana Jones Jumbo steelbook. Can you estimate when individual releases might be on the horizon? 2013? 2014?

Hi Wreck,

I'm trying to resist the urge of buying the Indiana Jones Jumbo steelbook. Can you estimate when individual releases might be on the horizon? 2013? 2014?

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Hi Wreck,

I know you're not allowed to say if this is happening or not, but are you working on a Terminator 2 SB to match play.com, similar art etc. Give us a sign... anything, it can be really subtle... Just tell me something!!! LOL

lol, well its very easy to say no and it be true and be allowed to say. So yeah nothing currently in the works that I heard of. Given the first one's success tho I'm sure it'll be something probably discussed at some point. Who knows maybe its already being discussed and I just dont know. *shrug* :cool:

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Hey Wreck can you tell us how play.com decides on wether a steelbook will be de/embossed or not ?

Depends on different levels for different retailers/studios. Sometimes its studio decision and sometimes its retailers decision. depends who is footing the bill, depends if studio will allow ... just depends really.

hey wreck will there be any disney waves in the uk. Also will paramount and universal keep doing small waves next year beacause this year was there 100th anniversary celebration and i thought it was for that thanks matt

Disney are hard to get ... perhaps more BV first. I'm sure Play will be working with all major studos for steels in the UK for 2013. Lot of good ones on the horizon.

is there anything that can be done about how re-releases are handled?

i see both the positive and negative sides to re-releasing titles, but is there a way to increase availability AND respect collectors at the same time? changing artwork may be asking too much, but could a simple text of 1st edition, 2nd printing or some designation to maintain value for collectors be considered?

is there anything that can be done about how re-releases are handled?

i see both the positive and negative sides to re-releasing titles, but is there a way to increase availability AND respect collectors at the same time? changing artwork may be asking too much, but could a simple text of 1st edition, 2nd printing or some designation to maintain value for collectors be considered?

Soon some thing is coming that will allow your voices to be heard in a more direct manner and I'll be passing that a long when it comes. I know that is vague, but its all I can say for now.

As for other reprints, remember this rule of thumb .... dont believe it till you see it as many folks who see it try to fight these things behind the scenes. A few have been changed in the past due to our diligence and we're always fighting.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

less than 1k remains on Godfather steel.

Oldboy will be turned off very soon. Possibly tomorrow.

Transformers has possibly about 3 weeks of stock left at current rate and SPR at 5.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/37314232/0/Oldboy/ListingDetails.html

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/...urce=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/...urce=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search