Batgirl [DC]

Colombianlove41

Writer/Editor/Mod
Premium Supporter
Aug 23, 2010
Gotham
Feel free to discuss all Batgirl comics/series -- past, present and future -- in this thread. Enjoy!

-------------------------------

DC Comics is catching a lot of backlash over an upcoming variant cover for BATGIRL #41. The artwork is done by Rafael Albuquerque and DC is pulling the cover because of the controversy.

The variant cover features the Joker holding an imaginary gun to Batgirl’s head with her looking scared. Some people are saying that the image makes Batgirl looks like she is being “victimized” by the Clown Prince, but for those that read comics, “victimized” is a strong word.

Over the years, Barbara Gordon has been through the ringer and a lot of it has to do with the Joker. He shot her, taking away her ability to walk, and created the character known as Oracle. When the New 52 reboot happened, they made her a bit stronger and the team currently working on the comic have said that the cover didn’t get run past them and they’re on board with DC’s decision to pull the cover.

What do you think? Should DC censor the cover or let it run? Let us know in the comments below.

Continue reading...

Attachments

• Batgirl.jpg
    Batgirl.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I am missing something, is that the 'controversial' cover?

It's not the best image but in my opinion, terrible artwork is it's only real crime. That joker is rubbish, doesn't even look much like so many iconic images of him and yes she looks scared but that's about it.
There is many worse images in comics around the world particularly manga types, him holding his finger like a gun, surely anyone who has watched any film versions of Batman has seen far more shocking images. It's going for shock value and really they should have concentrated on a better designed image, in my view, no offence to the designers/creators.

I would pull it based on pure design rather than any other reason but it's sheer 'huge controversy' press will have it released and people desperate to have it, you question was that the ploy all along??

As I said no offence to anyone I just personally dislike it. What would have been clever was do a role reversal, have batgirl in jokers position.

I mean look at this cover for orphan black comic, which is the more disturbing cover, don't remember any 'controversy' over it??

image.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps I am missing something, is that the 'controversial' cover?

It's not the best image but in my opinion, terrible artwork is it's only real crime. That joker is rubbish, doesn't even look much like so many iconic images of him and yes she looks scared but that's about it.
There is many worse images in comics around the world particularly manga types, him holding his finger like a gun, surely anyone who has watched any film versions of Batman has seen far more shocking images. It's going for shock value and really they should have concentrated on a better designed image, in my view, no offence to the designers/creators.

I would pull it based on pure design rather than any other reason but it's sheer 'huge controversy' press will have it released and people desperate to have it, you question was that the ploy all along??

As I said no offence to anyone I just personally dislike it. What would have been clever was do a role reversal, have batgirl in jokers position.

I mean look at this cover for orphan black comic, which is the more disturbing cover, don't remember any 'controversy' over it??

image.jpg

People were so up in arms about the fact that Batgirl looks like a helpless victim. Period. It has nothing to do with the actual book, the blood, the violence, etc. It is what it is and comic book fans know that DC just got scared of negative publicity.