Big Trouble in Little China (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

luke98

Premium Supporter
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: February 26th , 2018
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre Order will be live on Saturday February 3, 2018 at 18.00 (6PM) UK time)
Price: £17.99

11668594-2104549081051458.jpg

11668594-1494549080967737 (1).jpg 11668594-1734549080918477.jpg 11668594-7544548893701725.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't mean they're worth it! :p

Especially a re-release cash in!
Yeah, exactly - a re-release cash in. Looks to me, of late, that Arrow are trying to find ways to re-release past limited editions........albeit with different artwork, different packaging, or whatever, but same disc content. But this is the first time i've seen them pull this trick - two steelies for the same movie, just different artwork. Is the disc content and booklet in this exactly the same as previous 2013 steelbook and subsequent amaray? If it is, then that's another £18, for those who already have it, just for a steelbook case. Thanks Arrow.

• Thanks
Reactions: Punker76
Nothing wrong with re-releasing titles in steelbooks and struggling to work out what the issue is.
If you bought the original there's no call to buy this example unless (a) you're a completist or (b) you prefer the artwork.

As the first steel is long OOP and expensive on the secondary market this is surely a welcome release for those new to steelbooks and who don't wish to drop loadsamoney on the original.

That aside, and let's be honest, Arrow are but tiddlers in this re-releasing game.
Biggest player has got to be Disney with not unreasonably enough countless re-releases of their Classics catalogue - some examples having had at least six releases on Blu-ray alone including Anniversary / Diamond / different slipcover editions etc.

As for BIG TROUBLE, I don't sell steelbooks so I don't follow the secondary steelbook market prices but I'm guessing that the original steelbook is the No.1 Arrow steelbook as far as second-hand values go.

RE:RE-RELEASES:
Checking the Arrow shelves I can see several examples of the same Blu-ray . . . just re-released in different packaging - nearly all in Amarays but some also in digipacks (eg. DONNIE DARKO).
Yes, BIG TROUBLE is the first Arrow steelbook re-release but no big deal as the artwork is very different to the original and I don't expect the re-release to crap on the original's desirability or value.
The only other "re-release" steelbook is KILLER KLOWNS from Everything Blu which doesn't count as it's the same original Arrow steelbook just inside a fancy slipcase (designed by Sharm Murugiah).

Just taking a random Arrow UK release/re-release such as TENEBRAE . . . released originally in a blue Amaray inside a window slipcase . . .
June, 2011
upload_2018-2-5_18-32-17.png
w/ blue Amaray case
upload_2018-2-5_18-40-26.png

December, 2013 ...................................................................................................................................... July, 2017 ............................................................................................................. April, 2013 ...................................................................
upload_2018-2-5_18-33-53.png
upload_2018-2-5_18-34-41.png
w/ reversible artwork as per usual...
upload_2018-2-5_18-36-44.png
upload_2018-2-5_18-47-55.png

KK - September, 2014 ...................................................................................................................................... March, 2018 .................................................................... January, 2016
upload_2018-2-5_19-8-17.png
upload_2018-2-5_19-9-50.png
upload_2018-2-5_19-11-17.png

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with re-releasing titles in steelbooks and struggling to work out what the issue is.
If you bought the original there's no call to buy this example unless (a) you're a completist or (b) you prefer the artwork.

As the first steel is long OOP and expensive on the secondary market this is surely a welcome release for those new to steelbooks and who don't wish to drop loadsamoney on the original.

That aside, and let's be honest, Arrow are but tiddlers in this re-releasing game.
Biggest player has got to be Disney with not unreasonably enough countless re-releases of their Classics catalogue - some examples having had at least six releases on Blu-ray alone including Anniversary / Diamond / different slipcover editions etc.

As for BIG TROUBLE, I don't sell steelbooks so I don't follow the secondary steelbook market prices but I'm guessing that the original steelbook is the No.1 Arrow steelbook as far as second-hand values go.

RE:RE-RELEASES:
Checking the Arrow shelves I can see several examples of the same Blu-ray . . . just re-released in different packaging - nearly all in Amarays but some also in digipacks (eg. DONNIE DARKO).
Yes, BIG TROUBLE is the first Arrow steelbook re-release but no big deal as the artwork is very different to the original and I don't expect the re-release to crap on the original's desirability or value.
The only other "re-release" steelbook is KILLER KLOWNS from Everything Blu which doesn't count as it's the same original Arrow steelbook just inside a fancy slipcase (designed by Sharm Murugiah).

Just taking a random Arrow UK release/re-release such as TENEBRAE . . . released originally in a blue Amaray inside a window slipcase . . .
June, 2011
View attachment 357024 w/ blue Amaray case View attachment 357029

December, 2013 ...................................................................................................................................... July, 2017 ............................................................................................................. April, 2013 ...................................................................
View attachment 357025 View attachment 357026 w/ reversible artwork as per usual...View attachment 357027 View attachment 357030

KK - September, 2014 ...................................................................................................................................... March, 2018 .................................................................... January, 2016
View attachment 357043 View attachment 357045 View attachment 357046
Personally, i think there is something wrong with re-releasing steelbooks of the same movie..........especiallywhen they're released by the same company. A company who i see as preying on and, trying to, capitalize on the back of collectors, while at the same time undermining the collectability of their own previous release - yes, cashing in. I don't like it, and i've explained before, on numerous occasions, why. I don't have this particular movie in my collection, in any shape or form, but Arrow are getting greedy AND cheap on us.......all at the same time. Where will these antics lead? Another steelbook of this somewhere down the line? How many more after that? Will they "re-release" other previous steelbooks again in steelbook packaging, albeit with different art. This hobby is about collectability and rarity, and the more you add into the mix then the less collectable and rare it becomes. If people not bothered about collectability and rarity then buy amarays. Hell, they're probably produced in less numbers than the limited editions these days. just saying, that's all.

Personally, i think there is something wrong with re-releasing steelbooks of the same movie..........especiallywhen they're released by the same company. A company who i see as preying on and, trying to, capitalize on the back of collectors, while at the same time undermining the collectability of their own previous release - yes, cashing in. I don't like it, and i've explained before, on numerous occasions, why. I don't have this particular movie in my collection, in any shape or form, but Arrow are getting greedy AND cheap on us.......all at the same time. Where will these antics lead? Another steelbook of this somewhere down the line? How many more after that? Will they "re-release" other previous steelbooks again in steelbook packaging, albeit with different art. This hobby is about collectability and rarity, and the more you add into the mix then the less collectable and rare it becomes. If people not bothered about collectability and rarity then buy amarays. Hell, they're probably produced in less numbers than the limited editions these days. just saying, that's all.
A lot of customers now purchase steelbooks instead of amaray's
It's not about a release been rare how much re sale value a release is that's not the purpose of any of the releases never was
The reason you see lot of steelbook releases around the world is simply because steelbooks have become very popular and film distributors have noticed this

It's simply because steelbooks can look better and feel better in hand compared to a plastic amaray case once you start purchasing steelbooks you rarely go back to amaray with the odd exception of a nice slipcover release and is also why you get premium releases combining both steelbook with slipcases and lenticulars etc

The previous steelbook was 5 years ago it's new artwork this new edition

There is re releases all the time in various countries it's nothing new and it will continue some are exact same steelbook and some will have new artwork

Film distributors want sales the re-release of a popular titles is normal because they sell regularly over the years to new customers
It's harder to sell less popular films than popular films
Popular films sell and is why you see these films still available to purchase after 20/30/50/60 years
Back catalog of popular films is the main cash flow of film distributors and new films if lucky become part of this or they fade away to less interest very quickly after release or after 1 or 2 years

A lot in this thread ordered for one simple reason they was not purchasing steelbooks back in 2013 and a lot who been collecting steelbooks before then even missed out as the previous steelbook sold out faster than some expected it would.

This will end up sold out for one reason demand
There is now thousands more steelbook customers than there was back in 2013

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: spookz
A lot of customers now purchase steelbooks instead of amaray's
It's not about a release been rare how much re sale value a release is that's not the purpose of any of the releases never was
The reason you see lot of steelbook releases around the world is simply because steelbooks have become very popular and film distributors have noticed this

It's simply because steelbooks can look better and feel better in hand compared to a plastic amaray case once you start purchasing steelbooks you rarely go back to amaray with the odd exception of a nice slipcover release and is also why you get premium releases combining both steelbook with slipcases and lenticulars etc

The previous steelbook was 5 years ago it's new artwork this new edition

There is re releases all the time in various countries it's nothing new and it will continue some are exact same steelbook and some will have new artwork

Film distributors want sales the re-release of a popular titles is normal because they sell regularly over the years to new customers
It's harder to sell less popular films than popular films
Popular films sell and is why you see these films still available to purchase after 20/30/50/60 years
Back catalog of popular films is the main cash flow of film distributors and new films if lucky become part of this or they fade away to less interest very quickly after release or after 1 or 2 years

A lot in this thread ordered for one simple reason they was not purchasing steelbooks back in 2013 and a lot who been collecting steelbooks before then even missed out as the previous steelbook sold out faster than some expected it would.

This will end up sold out for one reason demand
There is now thousands more steelbook customers than there was back in 2013
There's different reasons as to why people collect limited edition steelbooks - and rarity is one of those, collectability is another, the artwork may be more appealing than the amaray version, the robustness of the packaging, etc. Different reasons, in different degrees, to different people. But when a company like Arrow, who not only like to arouse the collector mentality in their customers, but have also stated that their releases are "truely limited", and that they won't undermine the collectors market (or words to that effect), then re-release one of their previous LIMITED edition steelbooks, then i'm sorry - credibility is in short supply. I don't remember these type of antics from Eureka or Masters of cinema, for example, but correct me if i'm wrong on that. Yes, steelbook collecting HAS become more popular, but i don't think it's a massive phenomena, and i think alot of new people/collectors purchase them because the releases are touted as (guess what?) - yeah, LIMITED. Arrow video know this, and so do other companies, and that's whst they prey on. And for those who missed out first time round? It happens. Maybe in the future these companies should stop selling under the guise of "Limited Edition', because it's wearing thin at my end.

• Thanks
Reactions: ETSC

1) As mentioned previously BIG TROUBLE is the only steelbook re-release from Arrow . . . out of the 40 steelbooks they've released to date. The evidence is that they are not cashing in by making a habit of re-releasing steelbook - Amarays, yes, but not steelbooks.
They are just catering to demand which, maybe based on a poll they ran or feedback, they judge to exist for a new BIG TROUBLE steelbook.

3) Nothing wrong with re-releasing the same film in a new steelbook but should absolutely have different art . . . different art should logically not have a negative effect on the original steelbook unless the new art is superior to the old and people decide to dump the original steelbook on the secondary market in favour of the new.

4) Of course some people are concerned about rarity and limited editions . . . and I guess 4,000 copies of something can just about be termed "rare" in the grand scheme of things . . . but if you want truely rare then you'll have to look further afield to some of those premium editions with slipcovers produced in really low quantities (300 etc.) . . . but of course you'll have to pay through the nose for the privilege - as in 50 quid plus for a single edition including P&P / fees.

5) Are UK steelbooks collectable - steelbooks which are often just international steelbooks with UK J-cards?
Yes, but obviously some more collectable than others but all will eventually become collectable to someone after they are sold out. When OOP / "when they're gone they're gone" . . . as the old cliche goes . . . when the marketplace takes over and supply & demand dictates future prices.
Big prices can be realised on select titles with BIG TROUBLE being a perfect example of a desirable OOP/OOS steelbook fetching decent money . . . maybe not up there with the big boys but not far off.
Dozens of other titles I feel sure must be equally desirable and fetching considerably more than they cost originally but as I've yet to offload any steelbooks this comment is not based on personal experience.

6) Are there more steelbook collectors now than there were say 5 years ago?
Presumably yes but let's not forget that releases plateaued a few years back with far fewer now per annum than there were then.
For example, steelbooks released in the UK (give or take) during the past few years:
- 168 in 2013
- 244 in 2014
- 234 in 2015
- 223 in 2016
- 180 in 2017.

In conclusion:
a) Steelbooks are collectable - even regular steelbooks - of course more collectable if released in just one territory and limited to fewer than 4,000.
b) Steelbooks are delightfully quirky with all styles of artwork offered . . . unlike with Amarays where more often than not creativity is jettisoned in favour of the more mass market appeal of original poster art.
c) Steelbooks are totally delightful and can be collected in so many different ways:
- You can collect Blufans or one of the other numbered collections only . . . narrowed down to numbered fullslips or numbered lenticular slips only
- You can collect boutique labels only (Arrow, Eureka, Shout etc.)
- You can collect steelbooks of films with/by your favourite actors/directors
- You can open them and enjoy the film and the inside/back art or you can keep them sealed and give someone else the thrill of being the first person to unseal them . . . or do what I did until they really started to churn them out mid 2012 and buy 2 of each (one to open and one to keep sealed).
If you are OCD inclined, however, opening them can be problematic due to production methods and ****** quality control which can lead to multiple steelbook imperfections to slip through especially visible on the gloss finish - most notably paint stretching at the corners and fine hairline scratches/marks on the covers.

Anyway, Long Live Steelbooks

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: spookz
1) As mentioned previously BIG TROUBLE is the only steelbook re-release from Arrow . . . out of 36 steelbooks they've released to date. The evidence is that they are not cashing in by making a habit of re-releasing steelbook - Amarays, yes, but not steelbooks.
They are just catering to demand which, maybe based on a poll they ran or feedback, they judge to exist for a new BIG TROUBLE steelbook.

3) Nothing wrong with re-releasing the same film in a new steelbook but should absolutely have different art . . . different art should logically not have a negative effect on the original steelbook unless the new art is superior to the old and people decide to dump the original steelbook on the secondary market in favour of the new.

4) Of course some people are concerned about rarity and limited editions . . . and I guess 4,000 copies of something can just about be termed "rare" in the grand scheme of things . . . but if you want truely rare then you'll have to look further afield to some of those premium editions with slipcovers produced in really low quantities (300 etc.) . . . but of course you'll have to pay through the nose for the privilege - as in 50 quid plus for a single edition including P&P / fees.

5) Are UK steelbooks collectable - steelbooks which are often just international steelbooks with UK J-cards?
Yes, but obviously some more collectable than others but all will eventually become collectable to someone after they are sold out. When OOP / "when they're gone they're gone" . . . as the old cliche goes . . . when the marketplace takes over and supply & demand dictates future prices.
Big prices can be realised on select titles with BIG TROUBLE being a perfect example of a desirable OOP/OOS steelbook fetching decent money . . . maybe not up there with the big boys but not far off.
Dozens of other titles I feel sure must be equally desirable and fetching considerably more than they cost originally but as I've yet to offload any steelbooks this comment is not based on personal experience.

6) Are there more steelbook collectors now than there were say 5 years ago?
Presumably yes but let's not forget that releases plateaued a few years back with far fewer now per annum than there were then.
For example, steelbooks released in the UK (give or take) during the past few years:
- 168 in 2013
- 244 in 2014
- 234 in 2015
- 223 in 2016
- 180 in 2017.

In conclusion:
a) Steelbooks are collectable - even regular steelbooks - of course more collectable if released in just one territory and limited to fewer than 4,000.
b) Steelbooks are delightfully quirky with all styles of artwork offered . . . unlike with Amarays where more often than not creativity is jettisoned in favour of the more mass market appeal of original poster art.
c) Steelbooks are totally delightful and can be collected in so many different ways:
- You can collect Blufans or one of the other numbered collections only . . . narrowed down to numbered fullslips or numbered lenticular slips only
- You can collect boutique labels only (Arrow, Eureka, Shout etc.)
- You can collect steelbooks of films with/by your favourite actors/directors
- You can open them and enjoy the film and the inside/back art or you can keep them sealed and give someone else the thrill of being the first person to unseal them . . . or do what I did until they really started to churn them out mid 2012 and buy 2 of each (one to open and one to keep sealed).
If you are OCD inclined, however, opening them can be problematic due to production methods and ****** quality control which can lead to multiple steelbook imperfections to slip through especially visible on the gloss finish - most notably paint stretching at the corners and fine hairline scratches/marks on the covers.

Anyway, Long Live Steelbooks
Yeah, in response to your first point, i didn't say they have been making a habit of re-releasing their limited edition steelbooks, merely that they are cashing in on the success of the previous steelbook release of this one. Of course, if this proves a success then they may choose to re-release previous steelbook which were succesful, who knows.
In response to your point number 3, i DO think it's NOT right to re-release another "limited edition steelbook" of the same movie.......by the same company, whether it be different artwork or not. Why? Because it smacks of, that's right, cashing in - in spite of what they said about their limited editions being "truely limited."

I took the liberty of firing off an email on the weekend to Arrow Video in the vain hope of answers to some questions, such as print run, finish and if it does include the 40page booklet.

Surprisingly I got a reply today from Andrew, and I have copied and pasted the reply I received...:-:thumbs:
-----------------------

This is limited to 4000 copies, it does indeed include a collector’s booklet and it has a matt finish with no embossing; thank you for your interest.

Kind regards,

Anthony Newcomb

Customer Service Supervisor
-----------------------

So there you have it, confirmed 4000 print run, matte finish and the booklet is included.

Hope this info is of great help and good of Arrow to reply so quickly...:)

Yeah, in response to your first point, i didn't say they have been making a habit of re-releasing their limited edition steelbooks, merely that they are cashing in on the success of the previous steelbook release of this one. Of course, if this proves a success then they may choose to re-release previous steelbook which were succesful, who knows.
In response to your point number 3, i DO think it's NOT right to re-release another "limited edition steelbook" of the same movie.......by the same company, whether it be different artwork or not. Why? Because it smacks of, that's right, cashing in - in spite of what they said about their limited editions being "truely limited."

Guessing this will be the only Arrow steelbook re-release and that it's doomed to end up reduced to 10 quid . . . which is when I'll be picking it up.
Thank you v. much :)

Guessing this will be the only Arrow steelbook re-release and that it's doomed to end up reduced to 10 quid . . . which is when I'll be picking it up.
Thank you v. much :)
Yeah, i think with the print run being 4000 for this, and the previous one being 4000 as well (i think?), then there's fair chance it will be around long enough for a nice price drop. If i remember well, the first one didn't sell out before release date, and was around for a while after that, so i personally think it will be around for a while. Just have to wait and see, i suppose. But yeah, i also try to pick-em-up-cheap these days - especially if they are movies i'm not that sure would be my cup of tea.

For someone that has been following arrow since 2009....Arrow video appear to be in trouble. Their releases have been crap the past few months.

They do these re releases as desperate cash cows. Opening a US division and paying facilities in the us and uk is a big financial burden over their head.

Their friday sale was a disaster, no support and items missing. Arrow are in dark times my friends...I predict this may be their last year of business in the US.

Sad cash grabs like big trouble re issue (which hasn't sold out) shows that they are in a sad time. They will exist as a distributor but their genre stuff will fade...

For someone that has been following arrow since 2009....Arrow video appear to be in trouble. Their releases have been crap the past few months.

They do these re releases as desperate cash cows. Opening a US division and paying facilities in the us and uk is a big financial burden over their head.

I have to disagree. The Apartment, Carrie, The Cat O Nine Tails and the Romero box set all superb and recent not forgetting gems like last year's The Thing and countless other box sets I could mention. Some stuff they release is not my cup of tea but other stuff certainly is. I have no problems with the Big Trouble in Little China Town release, I missed it 1st time round and I suspect Arrow have a few surprises up their sleeves for later in the year. Easily one of the best video labels at the minute. And it's nice to see them do stuff both sides of the pond that are unique. That recent Apartment was simply outstanding.... One of my favourite films that I never expected to get deluxe treatment.
Now if Arrow really want to be a hero to film buffs everywhere, get the rights to the remastered restored Laurel and Hardy shorts......

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
I dont think they have any true facilities in the USA .... I met the people from Arrow at Mondo COn at their booth and they were all from the UK who came over. I also work with the distributor in which they use in the USA and all their stock is with them. So its not like their is overhead of offices, warehouse etc, to my knowledge in the USA. besides of course their fees to said distributor.

Their friday sale was a disaster, no support and items missing. Arrow are in dark times my friends...I predict this may be their last year of business in the US.

Sad cash grabs like big trouble re issue (which hasn't sold out) shows that they are in a sad time. They will exist as a distributor but their genre stuff will fade...
Arrow Films have being doing very well business wise most of the limited editions are selling out faster than previous releases from years ago

Yes they had some issues since they moved to a new warehouse in the UK which was done during the busy Christmas period they probably should of done this earlier in the year or delayed to this year.
The reason they moved to a new warehouse is because of the increased demand for their releases

USA releases are selling very well most of these get purchased from DiabolikDVD

You can expect some cool new releases this year both standard and limited editions
The new edition of Big Trouble in Little China Steelbook will sell very well you can clearly see from just this forum alone a lot have pre ordered including some who already have the previous steelbook

Don't expect to see this steelbook still available 12 months after release date as I expect it will be sold out well before then

On Facebook and Twitter there has been lot of USA customers showing interest in getting this steelbook

I see regularly the usual same moaners post about steelbook and limited edition and standard re-releases on Facebook :LOL: it does not affect the sales :p

Arrow Films have had in the past 12 months some fantastic standard and limited edition releases my debit and credit card's has increased spending as a result :rofl: