Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release Date: 6th October 2015

Purchase Link
Amazon

List Price $38.99
Reduced Price $27.99

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have announced the re-release of Francis Ford Coppola's
Bram Stoker's Dracula
on Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray/Digital HD) and Limited Edition Supreme Cinema Series (Blu-ray/Digital HD). Available only while supplies last, the Supreme Cinema release will include a 'high-end' clear case package and a 24-page booklet with rare photos, behind-the-scenes info, and an all-new exclusive written introduction from Director Francis Ford Coppola

Both releases will include:
  • 4K Restoration
  • Dolby Atmos soundtrack (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible)
  • Reflections in Blood: Francis Ford Coppola and Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Practical Magicians: A Collaboration Between Father and Son
  • Rare 1993 commentary with Francis Ford Coppola, Roman Coppola and Greg Cannom
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Audio Commentary & Film Introduction by Director Francis Ford Coppola
  • 4 Legacy Featurettes
draculabeauty.jpg

81fUAnmEwpL__SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
You need a heavy duty rasp and purposefully mean to gouge the disc to actually do enough damage to a Blu ray to make it unplayable.
Everyday scatches that were a problem with DVDs don't exist with Blu rays. Play frisbee with them if you want. As long as you don't break them in two, They will still play fine.
I know Blu-Ray's are a lot better than DVDs. I just always like them to have a proper disc hub. They can still get small surface scratches and I know this doesn't affect playback but I like to keep discs in perfect condition.:thumbs:

Reactions: PunkNinja
I know Blu-Ray's are a lot better than DVDs. I just always like them to have a proper disc hub. They can still get small surface scratches and I know this doesn't affect playback but I like to keep discs in perfect condition.:thumbs:
I can't believe that DVD's are now old skool.

Reactions: Sigill
What I find irksome about this YT video is that he goes on and on about how "cool" the packaging is but says absolutely nothing about the picture quality of the new disc.

I appreciate that it's a video of the item's unboxing but Sony have clearly sent him a review copy in advance of its release date. The least he could do is provide an addendum letting us know about the new disc's picture quality.

For most collectors, the most important question is whether the issues that plagued the first Blu-ray release have been resolved by the new 4k remaster.

Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
I know, I still have a lot in my collection. If its a film I really want I will still buy it on DVD if its my only choice though!
There are also many films that you can only get as DVD-Rs by request from Amazon, etc.
(Many of these films may NEVER see an HD upgrade either). Great example: the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis collections did so poorly on DVD, that not only did the studio put the kibosh on putting them on Blu ray, they stopped production on the DVD collections altogether (and they cost $$ on the second hand market if you can even find them). Sad but true. The one cool thing is that new companies keep popping up to take on remastering and releasing films the studios don't care to. A Brand new company just sprouted up this month: http://b2mp.net
They are releasing an early Robert Duvall film, The Puppetoon movie, an early Frank Capra, and King Vidor film for their first outing!! Cool.

First review of the new 4k remastered disc on DVD Beaver, including comparison screencaps with the previous Blu-ray release. The colour and detail are back!

Note that it is the sections in green text which relate to the new disc. They have been inserted into the original review of the earlier disc.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews34/bram_stokers_dracula_blu-ray.htm

All those who love this film, as I do, can safely consign their current Blu-rays to the scrap heap.

PS @C.C. 95 You'll be pleased about this.

Last edited:
Hope there may be a UK release as it's not region B. Would have liked to pick up a copy. I have the silver slip Superbit dvd. What a letdown, picture wise, that was back when I bought it.

Region A locked
That's ok with me as I have a Region A player

I'm surprised though its region A locked considering the previous Blu-ray was region free

Last edited:
First review of the new 4k remastered disc on DVD Beaver, including comparison screencaps with the previous Blu-ray release. The colour and detail are back!

Note that it is the sections in green text which relate to the new disc. They have been inserted into the original review of the earlier disc.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews34/bram_stokers_dracula_blu-ray.htm

All those who love this film, as I do, can safely consign their current Blu-rays to the scrap heap.

PS @C.C. 95 You'll be pleased about this.
Thanks @augustus!! Heading over there now for some peepin'!!:D:thumbs:
Update: wow! They REALLY liked it! Of all the things, though- I'm ecstatic that it sounds like the sound mix is back to where it needs to be. If you ever heard BS Dracula properly (in a theater or on Laserdisc) - the sound design was stunning. Can't wait!!
(Also, I love that the Atmos is rematrixed into Dolby True HD to sound awesome)

Last edited:
Reactions: augustus
DVDBEAVER:
Region: FREE! / Region 'A'-locked (as verified by the Oppo Blu-ray player)

Excuse my misunderstanding. but does this mean its region free or locked to A please?

Thank you
They are comparing the two discs. The writing in white is the original disc and the green is the new release. So the new disc is region A locked.

Hope there may be a UK release as it's not region B. Would have liked to pick up a copy. I have the silver slip Superbit dvd. What a letdown, picture wise, that was back when I bought it.
Maybe they have region locked it because they plan to bring out a UK release down the line. Let's hope so! Yep those Superbit DVD's were a bit of a con, the picture usually wasn't any better than a standard DVD.

Reactions: C.C. 95
Maybe they have region locked it because they plan to bring out a UK release down the line. Let's hope so! Yep those Superbit DVD's were a bit of a con, the picture usually wasn't any better than a standard DVD.
Hee, hee!! And yet...well some of us bit on those! If you had a great DVD player and TV, it was slightly better.
But, it was a lot like those gold CDs (remember those?!!). People would always ask me (Since I am a musician and sound engineer) "Do those Gold CDs really sound better?" And my answer was always the same:
"Yes. Yes they do...
...If you have the hearing range of a dog.";)

Hee, hee!! And yet...well some of us bit on those! If you had a great DVD player and TV, it was slightly better.
But, it was a lot like those gold CDs (remember those?!!). People would always ask me (Since I am a musician and sound engineer) "Do those Gold CDs really sound better?" And my answer was always the same:
"Yes. Yes they do...
...If you have the hearing range of a dog.";)
I don't remember those, I'm not sure if they came out in the UK, maybe they did and I missed them! They sound like another marketing gimmick! Lol!

Reactions: C.C. 95
@C.C. 95
A new review from The Digital Bits. They also give the new disc a thumbs up in every respect, with an overall rating of A-.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/bram-stokers-dracula-supreme-cinema-bd
Really glad that I ordered this before Amazon put the price back up again.
Thanks, @augustus...I actually had dual orders, one U.S. one Canada- but I just could not figure out what was what with Canada having Two different ones at two different prices. So I just cancelled the Canadian one because I'm not gonna take the chance of getting a subpar edition. Even if it means I don't save $10.:LOL:
Best of all about this release is the inclusion of the extras from the Criterion Laserdisc (not the least of which is the commentary). I'll have to check later to see if they ported over all the extras from the LD. (I still have mine). My only quibble: I would have rather had the art be the one-sheet theatrical poster... (Or Criterion's!!)

Last edited:
Reactions: augustus
Thanks, @augustus...I actually had dual orders, one U.S. one Canada- but I just could not figure out what was what with Canada having Two different ones at two different prices. So I just cancelled the Canadian one because I'm not gonna take the chance of getting a subpar edition. Even if it means I don't save $10.:LOL:
Best of all about this release is the inclusion of the extras from the Criterion Laserdisc (not the least of which is the commentary). I'll have to check later to see if they ported over all the extras from the LD. (I still have mine). My only quibble: I would have rather had the art be the one-sheet theatrical poster... (Or Criterion's!!)

Yes, this is certainly the edition to get. I'd also agree that it would have been better with the original artwork but that's a minor quibble in the greater scheme of things.

As regards the Canadian release, I have some Canadian Digibooks and the only difference between them and their US counterparts is that they have bilingual J-cards, in English and French, whereas the US ones are in English only. I imagine that the same applies to this release.

Although, given the rise of political correctness and the continuing change in the population ratio, I can forsee the day when US releases will also have bilingual J-cards, only in English and Spanish. That is, however, another story.