Release date: July 27th, 2015
Purchase link: Dead Rising: Watchtower
Price: £16.99
Notes: Limited to 1,000 copies.

11122739-1894296333419883.jpg

11122739-7444296333434334.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ocielz
Yeah I know what you mean. There's too many that either flopped at cinemas getting (or are just plain awful) too (Lockout, John Carter, Tomorrowland, Hugo, Sweeney Todd, Ghost Rider....the list goes on)

if movie flopped at cinemas it does not make it bad. see : blade runner, citizen kane, ed wood etc etc ...

Reactions: UpsetSmiley
if movie flopped at cinemas it does not make it bad. see : blade runner, citizen kane, ed wood etc etc ...

Yeah I agree, which is why I only picked examples of steelbooks that flopped AND were genuinely bad.

I think you missed the point - which is that they should stop releasing so many steelbooks for films that don't deserve it.

Yeah I agree, which is why I only picked examples of steelbooks that flopped AND were genuinely bad.

I think you missed the point - which is that they should stop releasing so many steelbooks for films that don't deserve it.

i may have missed the point. but each to his/hers own : i like lockout and ghost rider, so for me those deserved steels ....

I agree that a box office flop doesn't determine the quality of the movie. I.e. 'The Big Lebowski'.

That's how the Studio makes its money back.

Last edited:
I saw this last week and it was about as bad as I feared it would be. It would have been better if they'd made it either a serious horror OR a proper out-and-out comedy. I hate films that aren't one thing or the other and end up being bad at both. The Rob Riggle bits were ok though.

So yeah, another stupid choice for steelbook treatment.

Etc. etc. indeed !
Most of us know of the most famous flops, apart from those noted by our esteemed colleague @nefilim, such as HEAVEN'S GATE, WATERWORLD, CLEOPATRA, CUTTHROAT ISLAND or ISHTAR but do we know that the following examples were not successes when first released but are now considered some of the most important films in movie history IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946), THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955), ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA (1984) or THE INSIDER (1999).

Anyway, back on topic - anybody received this steelbook yet and cares to voice an opinion . . .

Last edited:
Got my 2 copies today it's a nice steelbook and only 1000 hopefully will go up in value :)

Etc. etc. indeed !
Most of us know of the most famous flops, apart from those noted by our esteemed colleague @nefilim, such as HEAVEN'S GATE, WATERWORLD, CLEOPATRA, CUTTHROAT ISLAND or ISHTAR but do we know that the following examples were not successes when first released but are now considered some of the most important films in movie history IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946), THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955), ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA (1984) or THE INSIDER (1999).

Anyway, back on topic - anybody received this steelbook yet and cares to voice an opinion . . .

@virkia - Must take you to task on a few topics here:
Heaven's Gate was really only a 'flop' because the studio butchered it - it is now, and quite rightly, considered a masterpiece.

Cleopatra was NEVER a flop! It was the highest grossing film of 1963, and was generally regarded as a great film, than as now. Financially it was ruinous due to the massive cost overruns, but that is an entirely different issue.

It's A Wonderful Life received mixed reviews, but only really struggled at the box office as it was up against some stiff competition in the form of A Matter Of Life And Death to name but one.

The Night of The Hunter, Charles Laughton's sole outing as Director by the way, was generally well received and could never be considered a 'flop' by any stretch of the imagination.

Once Upon A Time In America is another case of the studio hacking away at the director's original version, and the majority of critics savaged the studio's handling of the film, not the film itself. In it's original director's cut it has always been regarded, then and now, a masterpiece.

Wasnt even aware of this films existence until I saw the steelbook announcement. And Im a fan of the games too. Ah well, at least Jesse Metcalfe isnt playing Frank West.

Last edited:
@virkia - Must take you to task on a few topics here:
Heaven's Gate was really only a 'flop' because the studio butchered it - it is now, and quite rightly, considered a masterpiece.

Cleopatra was NEVER a flop! It was the highest grossing film of 1963, and was generally regarded as a great film, than as now. Financially it was ruinous due to the massive cost overruns, but that is an entirely different issue.

It's A Wonderful Life received mixed reviews, but only really struggled at the box office as it was up against some stiff competition in the form of A Matter Of Life And Death to name but one.

The Night of The Hunter, Charles Laughton's sole outing as Director by the way, was generally well received and could never be considered a 'flop' by any stretch of the imagination.

Once Upon A Time In America is another case of the studio hacking away at the director's original version, and the majority of critics savaged the studio's handling of the film, not the film itself. In it's original director's cut it has always been regarded, then and now, a masterpiece.

Certainly don't wish to bore anybody further here on this matter unrelated to 'Dead Rising' steelbook although I will just add a final brief word on my 'flop' choices:-
All of my examples (out of the literally hundreds I could have picked) lost money at the box office - although upon reflection maybe 'Cleopatra' should not have been included with the others listed because it didn't actually lose money . . . I do remember, however, watching a documentary not too long ago about the making of the film which brought home the financial disasters and problems surrounding the film. Furthermore it was reported that the studio concerned was only saved from ruin by the successes of 'The Longest Day' and 'The Sound of Music'.
Other examples mentioned are considered noble failures because they did disappointingly at the box office - 'It's a Wonderful Life' and 'The Night of the Hunter' - for whatever reason, be it negative word-of-mouth, competition, external circumstances or high production costs. For example 'IaWL' lost $525,000 at the box office and was clearly not the film that audiences wanted to go to when a post-war classics about servicemen returning home in 'The Best Years of Our Lives' was showing. . . I don't have the figures for 'TNotH' but suffice it to say its reception by the public was such that this was the first and last film the great Charles Laughton directed. . .
Regarding 'Heaven's Gate' and 'Once upon a Time in America' - both suffered badly as you noted by being savagely cut because they were literally hours and hours long. 'HG' for example had a production budget of $44M and had worldwide gross revenues of $3.5M and according to sources a net inflation adjusted loss of $40.5M. Both were box office flops/noble failures though both have since been restored to some semblance of the original vision and at least in the case of 'OuaTiA' well thought of.
The point I was trying to make is that a film referred to as a flop or noble failure on initial release is only called that because it 'bombed' at the box office.
If a film is deemed a flop neither does that necessarily mean that the film stinks nor does it refer to the future financial life of the film which as we know with home video, cable etc. films that did badly initially can break even and actually make money - 'Waterworld' being a good example. Success out of failure.
There are reasons why 'It's a Wonderful Life' and 'The Night of the Hunter' are so well received and get the recognition and applause they deserve nowadays but there is no need to go into that here.

Anyway, back on topic - If anybody is going to unseal their copy of this steelbook it would be nice to see what it looks like inside and on the back.