Doctor Who (Series 8) [BBC]

pmartin252

Who Blu Supermod
Premium Supporter
Nov 26, 2010
Altea, Spain
What does anyone here think about the exciting news that the new series of Dr Who is starting in August, rather than waiting for the Autumn? I'm not sure that it's such a good idea. They tried this before in the 80's I think and it was a disaster - people would rather be out in the (ahem) sunshine that stuck at home watching the telly. What do you think?

images

photo:BBC

Attachments

• Doctor Who.jpg
    Doctor Who.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 252
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: spawnshop
Has anyone else here heard the exciting news that some more of the missing episodes from the classic Dr Who series of the the 1960's have been found. The BBC were to have had a press conference on Tuesday 7th revealing what exactly has been found (apparently in an Ethiopean TV archive). The announcement will now be made later this week. Personally I can't wait to hear which of the 106 missing shows they have discovered. :oohyeah:

Heard about this too.Would be nice if they could find all the eps and release the original series as it was always meant to be shared. :)

Heard about this too.Would be nice if they could find all the eps and release the original series as it was always meant to be shared. :)

Yes I agree, one day maybe...

Turns out there were 11 episodes found in total, 6 from "Enemy of the World" - meaning that the story is now complete after having only one episode still held by the BBC and "The Web of Fear" for which 5 episodes were found - that means that this story is only missing 1 of its 6 shows. Both stories have been made available for download on itunes in the UK, USA, France, Germany, Australia & New Zealand. The DVD version of Enemy is to be released November 25th in the UK region 2 here.

Web of Fear on February 24th, pre-order here. No word on US or Aussie release dates yet.

who_E.jpg
who_w.jpg

Is anyone going to the show this weekend 22nd-24th November?

I´m going on Friday 22nd (in the Ice Warrior group).
Would be great to meet any fellow Ninjas and forum members.
:oohyeah:

Don´t forget everyone that the 50th Anniversary episode will be shown in various countries around the world at exactly the same time on the 23rd November.
Also at cinemas in 3D at the same time.

:oohyeah:Can´t wait!!!:oohyeah:

Looking at the bluray which is out on Monday in UK, Tuesday in US it seems a shame that they missed a trick by not including what was in my opinion the highlight of the 50th celebrations namely The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot. Brilliant lightweight half hour which still probably had more Dr Who blink-and-you've-missed them moments than the main feature.

Reading up on Amazon UK there seems to a lot of moaning about the remastering speed (quite how these guys know) on what will be BBC's last 3D TV programme.

Last edited:
Personally I reckon just doing an Amaray is poor for such an important Anniversary. imho not only should do a Numbered Boxset including a correctly mastered 3D Bluray as well as the regular Blu but also all the deleted scenes, iPlayer films such as 'The Night of the Doctor' and 'The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot'. Finally they should put in a DVD (or even a Blu :D) of 'An Adventure in Time and Space' (IMDB link) which had me in tears at one point. Sadly neither of the latter two are available on iPlayer anymore.

Not sure if their is another doctor who thread but Matt Smith has been added to the wizard world New Orleans comic convention next month :scat:

I knew that there had to be a Doctor Who thread somewhere!

I started watching on Netflix, started with the 2005 S1E1 (Rose) with Chris, and I'm all caught up now except for the 50th and the 2013 Christmas Special.

I didn't think it was possible, but recently, I was able to get my wife interested in watching. She wanted to start with Matt, so once we get caught up, I'll start her back with Chris, and then David.

On a side note, anyone have an idea how to watch the BBC iPlayer over here in the US? I don't do cable or satellite, so BBC America is out. I even tried setting up a UK account on my PS3, but that didn't work either.

It's coming...:D

The 12th Doctor will be played by Peter Capaldi

The official full-length trailer for Doctor Who season eight aired during Sunday’s World Cup final on BBC One to the general surprise of sports fans.
The BBC had previously only released short teasers in preparation for the season premiere on Aug. 23. The full-trailer replete with dinosaurs, robots and explosions quelled any reservations that fans might have had about the upcoming season after the death of the 11th Doctor, played by Matt Smith.
The trailer suggested that Whovians are in for many surprises next season, as indicated by Doctor Who’s companion Clara Oswald, played by Jenna Coleman. “I don’t think I know who the Doctor is any more,” Coleman uttered at the beginning of the trailer.
Peter Capaldi, who debuted on the show in the final titillating
moments of the Christmas special in season seven, will play the 12th Doctor. Along with Capaldi, actor Samuel Anderson will also join the series as a teacher named Danny Pink.
Sunday night’s trailer appeared just a few days after scripts from the upcoming season had leaked after a security breach at the BBC.

Reactions: vurt and naelst
So? What do we think?

I personally love Twelve and I think it was a strong season premiere. Can't wait for more!

They should make the next Doctor teenager.
That would make an interesting plot.

He was good as the Doctor, but the episode itself was a bit dry. I didn't enjoy how he was confused for the entire show. I wasn't liking how he mumbled to himself. It didn't work for him like the last few, who just seemed more "alive" and animated. And I'm not sure he and Jenna play well off of eachother.
But of course, i'll give it a go.

I was way more interested in the characters and their dialogue in 'Into the Dalek', rather than the actual plot which I think was a little weak. Definitely not the strongest Dalek-arc I've seen, but I did like what the Dalek saw in the Doctor. It presents an interesting question. Is this Doctor good? I really, really like this darker side of him. I feel that this season will center a lot around exploring him, not just the universe.
Also, yay for more character development for Clara!