Mar 15, 2017
Release date: December 19, 2017
Purchase link: BestBuy
Price: $32.99

dunkirk steelbook.jpg

Previous artwork:
BUqBYTJ.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Dutch releaselist says Dec 6th, I guess the UK release will be around the same date.

Last edited by a moderator:
We watched it on a Nokia 3310 screen while making plane noises! :LOL:

That's got to have been an experience so amazing that it's only rivaled by watch Jurassic Park with the entire soundtrack replaced with a kazoo.

Correct but I am sure owning on optical media and watching on a reasonably big screen at home wouldn't be that much of a sin lol.

Nope. It's the biggest sin.
Or like- the second biggest.

It's like if the origin of mankind was #1
Watching Dunkirk on a TV would be #2

Correct but I am sure owning on optical media and watching on a reasonably big screen at home wouldn't be that much of a sin lol.

Going by what I've read I don't think Mr. Nolan has an issue with physical media or home cinema, it's online streaming on phones/tablets. Let's face it Kubrick would probably wince at the concept. It's a personal rule I live by, all Nolan films have to be seen first at the cinema.

Also check out this interview, he's involved with the 4K remastering of the TDK Trilogy. Very excited for this. :thumbs:

I saw Dunkirk on the opening weekend and definitely want to get this once it's out on BluRay. With that being said, I'm curious as to the source that this will be a steelbook release exclusive to BestBuy? In searching the Best Buy website, there's only two results - DVDs for which I assume the theater version was based off of.

Had an interest in picking up another exclusive steelbook, but I didn't even know it was up for pre-order at Zavi U.S. until it was sold out. It's available at Amazon UK and supposedly it's a Sony blu-ray, but there doesn't seem to be 100% certainty that the UK blu-ray would play in the U.S.

Don't want to miss out on picking up Dunkirk.

Let's be honest... the ONLY way you should be watching this film is in IMAX. xD

So why make movies available to take home at all?

Hasn't it always been said by the biggest and best directors that movies should only be seen on the big screen in theatres?

Isn't that why Spielberg originally said he would never release E.T. on home video?

He then finally gave in 7 years later in 1989 ushering in the era of "first time home video releases at sell through prices." (about $26.95 or less Canadian at the time) instead of the usual $90 and above for a new release (which meant that you didn't buy it, you rented it from a video store.)

1989 also saw all the big summer movies released on home video at sell through prices including
Batman, Indy and the Last Crusade, Lethal Weapon 2, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, and Dead Poets Society.

The summer of 1989 was the first summer that saw 5 movies each cross the $100 Million box office barrier in the US. (The 5 movies mentioned above)

1989 was also the first time movies brought in $5 Billion at the box office (worldwide).
It was called the year of the sequel.

Since then every year has been the year of the sequel and remakes.

But just in case you ever do want to watch Dunkirk again, chances aren't that good that you'll be able to catch it in Imax in the theatre ever again.

But who knows, maybe someday our "home theatre set ups" will be in Imax :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Ranavalone