Purchase link: Edge of Tomorrow
Group Buy: apsmith21
Price: $27.99
Notes: no 3D

16483342.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to post this scan:
Edge of Tomorrow

Thanks to @dfoles for scan :thumbs: also found a scan of the German release over @ German forum, so thought I'd make a comparison gif for you guys.

This is only a rough guide as scans are from 2 different sources but the German releases appears to be a lot darker than North American release.

So glad I went for the Target release personally looks cleaner/less cluttered without the 3D logo and the lighter tone looks better imo.:)

comparison.gif

I agree. If one can swing a steelbook without 3D in the artwork and add the 3D disc for not too much, it can work out better IMO. The art is better when it is just the movie title (even though I am a 3D fan).

Good job, Target. For me, one of the main reasons for collecting steelbooks is that they're art (front, back and inside), more or less. They separate themselves from the basic releases that typically are just not as cool to look at because they're usually covered with clutter. From a technical and design standpoint, I would think "3D" belongs with all the other video and audio specifications (on the J-card or back of the casing). Not as part of the film's title. From a marketing standpoint though, I can understand why they would want to put it with the title.

For me, one of the main reasons for collecting steelbooks is that they're art (front, back and inside), more or less. They separate themselves from the basic releases that typically are just not as cool to look at because they're usually covered with clutter. From a technical and design standpoint, I would think "3D" belongs with all the other video and audio specifications (on the J-card or back of the casing). Not as part of the film's title. From a marketing standpoint though, I can understand why they would want to put it with the title.
Yeah, anytime the studio simply can't fathom the idea of not plastering star/director/format names on the permanent artwork, you know they couldn't care less about the artistic merits of their design. Which is pretty misguided, considering they're not selling these things to Joe Schmoe casual viewers who just want a copy of the movie, and even if they may indeed lose a handful of sales to unsavvy folk who can't figure out what they're looking at, these runs sell through in less than a week in most cases anyway, so it wouldn't even matter.

So yeah, I agree. I love steelbooks (and to a lesser degree digis/ironfuturevivametulpakz) because they eliminate most of that marketing nonsense and leave me with packaging that allows me to simply and plainly love the movie that it holds just that little bit more. Every little bit of that crap that sneaks back in and negatively affects a design is like a sour morsel of failure left behind like droppings by studios and/or designers that don't actually understand what to do with these editions.

There's also a good chance that they're legally required to include certain pieces of information and it's simply out of everyone's control. :squint:

Reactions: antpic14
Thanks to @dfoles for scan :thumbs: also found a scan of the German release over @ German forum, so thought I'd make a comparison gif for you guys.

This is only a rough guide as scans are from 2 different sources but the German releases appears to be a lot darker than North American release.

So glad I went for the Target release personally looks cleaner/less cluttered without the 3D logo and the lighter tone looks better imo.:)

View attachment 106293

Prefer the darker tone, easily. Dont get why releases in the US always get so washed out colors. Too bad, I cant stand that 3D on it. Think im going with this one.

Last edited:
Just came back from my local Target and they're down to 2 copies. They were hidden behind the amaray version. If you're considering getting this, you should probably get it sooner rather than later. It also appears that target has restocked all the x-men and wolverine metalpaks. I saw them all tonight as well.

Reactions: bloodsnake007
I have just had both this and the Saturn edition arrive and the differences between the 2 are night and day.
The Saturn edition is ultra smooth with a distinct metallic sheen to it. The metal areas of the guns and prop shaft have a real shine to them. The colours are a hell of a lot more saturated. It is the same high quality as the MM/Saturn Godzilla.
By contrast, the Target edition feels rough, has no sheen/ highlights to it and the colours are a lot more muted and washed out.
Saturn wins by a long mile. If you want a non 3D Steelbook, then Saturn's is clearly the one to get.
Saturn Left: Target Right
2598B46E-AD42-4914-9707-2A7DDECF8FEA_zps4ctuide2.jpg

2315948F-2D61-45A8-B94D-72724AC8B3F7_zps70ptr3gk.jpg

Last edited: