George R.R. Martin / A Game of Thrones Discussion Master Thread

Che

Red Viper
Premium Supporter
Sep 7, 2010
Milwaukee
USE THIS THREAD TO DISCUSS ALL PAST, CURRENT & FUTURE NOVELS OF GEORGE R.R. MARTIN! :thumbs:

--------------------

OK. Here are the rules.

1. ALWAYS USE A SPOILER
2. Before the spoiler reference which book you are discussing. If you are having a broad discussion, label it Books 1-5.

If I feel squirelly I may try to find some icons for use instead of book Numbers. I will ammend rules as it seems fit.

Attachments

• GRRM.jpg
    GRRM.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 162
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Softwing
No episode for the memorial day weekend, but next week....

Book 3
And who are you, the proud lord said,
That I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
That's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
A lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
As long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
That lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
With no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
And not a soul to hear.

:tear:

Books compared to season 3 last 2 episodes, more feeling on the how they connect so I put it here

One thing I dislike about the RW when comparing the show to the book is the lack of use of Grey Wind. In the show it seems much more shocking, but in the books you get the feeling that if Robb had listened to GW when he growled at the Frey’s and acted aggressive towards them and his mother warns him to trust GW feelings it could have been completely avoided.

You get the feeling from the show that he was just stupid or too trusting, and the fact that they don’t even really discuss how big a deal breaking the oath of eating in ones house is makes it even worse. Yes Bran explains his story but in the books everyone all over is in a tizzy over that. Cause it creates such a feeling

Though we all know it seems that doing that in a way does curse the Frey’s, they begin to lose a lot more men and I think it is only a matter of time before Walder Frey himself may meet a gruesome end.

Reactions: Che
Books compared to season 3 last 2 episodes, more feeling on the how they connect so I put it here

One thing I dislike about the RW when comparing the show to the book is the lack of use of Grey Wind. In the show it seems much more shocking, but in the books you get the feeling that if Robb had listened to GW when he growled at the Frey’s and acted aggressive towards them and his mother warns him to trust GW feelings it could have been completely avoided.

You get the feeling from the show that he was just stupid or too trusting, and the fact that they don’t even really discuss how big a deal breaking the oath of eating in ones house is makes it even worse. Yes Bran explains his story but in the books everyone all over is in a tizzy over that. Cause it creates such a feeling

Though we all know it seems that doing that in a way does curse the Frey’s, they begin to lose a lot more men and I think it is only a matter of time before Walder Frey himself may meet a gruesome end.

Book 3
There were a few ways in which the RW felt flatter than in the book, and underplaying Grey Wind and guest rights were among them. That said, I get the feeling that they felt including them more overtly would have been a big sign spelling out Robb's doom. I do think they missed a trick with Grey Wind dying first though. What's so heartbreaking in the book is the implication that Robb wargs into GW on his death, only to experience his murder a second time over. The sheer brutality of a pregnant woman being stabbed in the stomach repeatedly was extremely shocking though, I have to admit.

Some thoughts heading into season 4

Books 3-5
I am very glad that it seems we'll be heading into AFFC/ADWD plotlines from the off next year, most likely for Reek/Ramsey/Roose, Iron Islands, Brienne, Bran, and Dany. The Kings Landing and Wall plots will probably finish their ASOS material over the course of the season, and then we can focus Season 5 on finishing AFFC and ADWD.
And what an epic season we should get next year! Purple wedding in episode 2, the siege of the wall spread over several episodes, Jon/Ygritte, STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!, the RED ****ING VIPER, trial by combat, Arya and the Hound, Littlefinger and Lysa, the Kingsmoot, Tywin having a poop. We've had the set up this year, next is just 10 episodes of stuff happening.

Reactions: mllNY
at least I have a year to cool down. Dexter and True Blood is now my focus.

God knows when he'll do the next book.

At the end of AFFC book didn't GRRM write, oh wheres x characters, you'll find out in a year.

6 years later he got to it.

I am not holding my breath

at least I have a year to cool down. Dexter and True Blood is now my focus.

God knows when he'll do the next book.

At the end of AFFC book didn't GRRM write, oh wheres x characters, you'll find out in a year.

6 years later he got to it.

I am not holding my breath

Books 5-6

It might not be such a long wait for the next one. mid-late 2014 is certainly possible, and 2015 very reasonable, I'd say. By all accounts, Martin had over 100 manuscript pages that got moved from ADWD to the new book due to space/pacing issues, on top of which he knows exactly what's happening with the two climaxes that didn't end up happening: the battles of Mereen and Winterfell. I also think it's safe to say that the 'Mereenese knot' has pretty much been severed, with just the battle and the Harpy's identity left to sort out really. That was always the publicly stated 'problem' with writing ADWD, so with that out of the way Martin may find it easier going.

I'm not counting down the days, but I do think a six year wait is unlikely this time around. Now, if Martin finds it hard to finish the story causing massive delays for book 7, and/or decides he'll need a book 8 to finish it all off, I wouldn't be all that surprised. :hilarious:

I saw him stroll out at SDCC for the GoT panel. I tell you if I were an HBO exec I might be hiring him a trainer.

no good place for this to go, but this weekend on Staten Island where I live the Staten Island Yankees (our single A minor league team) hosted a George R. R. Martin Game of Thrones night, which had a signing, a live wolf from a sanctuary, and a free giveaway

The Wolf
IMG_1217.JPG

The man himself, GRRM

IMG_1222.JPG

and a tired wolf, he was just like its just too hot...

GRRM Talking about the wolf sanctuary and the Wolf marking her territory

IMG_1238.JPG

My group got on line about 1:45 for the 7 PM game to ensure we got our signatures, but was worth it! He was only signing for the first 400 people to get to the autographing table, which was a mess cause they did not tell people to line up to a specific entrance it was every entrance gets opened and from the entrances the first 400. I can say by 3PM there were probably already 1,000 people between all the entrances and by 5:30 the line wrapped down the side of the stadium, back up, and then down a 3rd street and that was just by my entrance...

THE SWAG
thanks to some friends who did not want autographs but were with people who really did I was able to get a couple of things signed, all in a hard days work.

1.JPG

Stock Photo

IMG_1247.JPG

edit: the wolf comes from the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary in New Mexico, I was told it costs $1000 a day to keep it running so if you want to donate, here is their site

edit2: they are auctioning off the game worn jerseys for charity as well here

@bloodsnake007 @Che @kryptonite @Drum18 @poncholo @spawnshop @apsmith21 @digitalbabe

Last edited:
no good place for this to go, but this weekend on Staten Island where I live the Staten Island Yankees (our single A minor league team) hosted a George R. R. Martin Game of Thrones night, which had a signing, a live wolf from a sanctuary, and a free giveaway

The Wolf

The man himself, GRRM

View attachment 181214

and a tired wolf, he was just like its just too hot...

GRRM Talking about the wolf sanctuary and the Wolf marking her territory

View attachment 181213

My group got on line about 1:45 for the 7 PM game to ensure we got our signatures, but was worth it! He was only signing for the first 400 people to get to the autographing table, which was a mess cause they did not tell people to line up to a specific entrance it was every entrance gets opened and from the entrances the first 400. I can say by 3PM there were probably already 1,000 people between all the entrances and by 5:30 the line wrapped down the side of the stadium, back up, and then down a 3rd street and that was just by my entrance...

THE SWAG
thanks to some friends who did not want autographs but were with people who really did I was able to get a couple of things signed, all in a hard days work.

View attachment 181205
Stock Photo

View attachment 181215

edit: the wolf comes from the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary in New Mexico, I was told it costs $1000 a day to keep it running so if you want to donate, here is their site

edit2: they are auctioning off the game worn jerseys for charity as well here

@bloodsnake007 @Che @kryptonite @Drum18 @poncholo @spawnshop @apsmith21 @digitalbabe
Holy Hell! :OMG: That's fu**ing awesome! :woot: :notworthy: Thanks for the pics @mllNY! :thumbs: I'm definitely gonna show the wife, she's gonna get super jealous! :oohyeah: :D