Gladiator (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Italy]

Jan 30, 2013
FFO, Germany
Release date: November 23, 2016
Purchase link: Amazon IT
Price: €18.91

914P+yL8b-L._SX522_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
But why are these exactly the same then? I think they used the already existing HDZETA designs etc.

Probably because that was the design given to the distributor for that country. I doubt if HDZETA has the copyright on that design and the company that owns the rights to the film can give that design to whomever they want to use.... It's their product

Fre shipping? Yes, for me (delivered in the DVD-STore shop itself in Rome) :D:D
I don't know how much sshipping rates are for your country (there are no rates on help pages, just "they are variables"), you can try to simulate the order

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: javiermendoza
It's not exactly the same as the HDZeta and you didn't get screwed over big time.
Here's what you get with the Italian Gladiator steelbook, vs the HDZeta. Screwed over, really?

hdzg.jpg

Reactions: Greyback and wouter
It's not exactly the same as the HDZeta and you didn't get screwed over big time.
Here's what you get with the Italian Gladiator steelbook, vs the HDZeta. Screwed over, really?

View attachment 278934

Mmm, did you buy a HDz? If so, you will know just how much those extra bits of fripppery cost - and the fact that we were promised WEA!

Yes, screwed over ! :(

• Thanks
Reactions: metal hunter
Mmm, did you buy a HDz? If so, you will know just how much those extra bits of fripppery cost - and the fact that we were promised WEA!

What many fail to realize, and im not poking at you, just adding general convo to the thread. There is no such thing as WEA unless 1) the art is created and 2) the retailer has in contract that their commissioned artwork cannot be reused without consent.

And that is where a big problem lies. its very hard to get any licensor to agree to such a demand. So in this instance HDzeta or even Blufans when they have WEA its still the intellectual property of the movie studio. If you notice they release their editions practically last. This is because they wait it out. Use art that hasnt been used before in the initial wave of releases world wide and then you can deem it WEA ... but this doesnt mean that others cant use it. All they have to do is license such art in another territory or wait for a license to expire if there even is one in the same territory.

It does happen often, but usually goes under radar cause the counterparts might be of a different finish like matte vs. gloss etc. But that is where the slips and extras come into play to distinguish.

One story of the past is when Germany was going to reprint exact same The Raid steelbook that Play had done I worked with Luke from Play and we were able to get them to change the art as Play with the studio had commissioned Jock for exclusive art for their release. And thus the white Raid steelbook with new art from Jock was born. Later used for the vinyl too.

This is also why you see an influx of movies with designs where its logos etc. Very easy for studios to produce as no permission is needed for the logo which they own the rights of vs. needing actor likeness approval if not already approved.

What many fail to realize, and im not poking at you, just adding general convo to the thread. There is no such thing as WEA unless 1) the art is created and 2) the retailer has in contract that their commissioned artwork cannot be reused without consent.

And that is where a big problem lies. its very hard to get any licensor to agree to such a demand. So in this instance HDzeta or even Blufans when they have WEA its still the intellectual property of the movie studio. If you notice they release their editions practically last. This is because they wait it out. Use art that hasnt been used before in the initial wave of releases world wide and then you can deem it WEA ... but this doesnt mean that others cant use it. All they have to do is license such art in another territory or wait for a license to expire if there even is one in the same territory.

It does happen often, but usually goes under radar cause the counterparts might be of a different finish like matte vs. gloss etc. But that is where the slips and extras come into play to distinguish.

One story of the past is when Germany was going to reprint exact same The Raid steelbook that Play had done I worked with Luke from Play and we were able to get them to change the art as Play with the studio had commissioned Jock for exclusive art for their release. And thus the white Raid steelbook with new art from Jock was born. Later used for the vinyl too.

This is also why you see an influx of movies with designs where its logos etc. Very easy for studios to produce as no permission is needed for the logo which they own the rights of vs. needing actor likeness approval if not already approved.

Oh I do understand the general situation on copyright etc.

But, given the cost of these things from HDz one would, and could, in all honesty, expect rather more exclusivity by means fo a longer contract, or more importantly, as you indicated with the Play.com example, actually commissioning something themselves and thus making recreation impossible because of the copyright issues.

To be hoodwinked into paying through the nose for an HDz "alleged WEA", that in effect is only WEA for perhaps 18 months or so is still morally reprehensible at the every least; and makes one feel they should be advertised with the logo Caveat Emptor.

You weren't actually screwed over. The only people that were screwed with this release are the people who buy expensive steelbooks so they can sell them for extortion prices when they are sold out. I'm guessing you're a collector so be happy with what you bought. A true collector doesn't see future value or a potential to make money in the future. They see the exclusivity and want to own it for what it is. So comparing a tiny apple (amazon Gladiator) with pineapple (hdz Gladiator) is pointless.

And this release is actually great for people who don't need those extra stuff added in hdz package. I am one of them.

Last edited:
Oh I do understand the general situation on copyright etc.

But, given the cost of these things from HDz one would, and could, in all honesty, expect rather more exclusivity by means fo a longer contract, or more importantly, as you indicated with the Play.com example, actually commissioning something themselves and thus making recreation impossible because of the copyright issues.

To be hoodwinked into paying through the nose for an HDz "alleged WEA", that in effect is only WEA for perhaps 18 months or so is still morally reprehensible at the every least; and makes one feel they should be advertised with the logo Caveat Emptor.

Its very hard to do for small Companies like HDz to be honest. A lot of studios and licensing departments dont want future red tape that could put them in unbeknownst future litigation should someone forget that such art belongs to X etc. Thus the big 6 are usually NEVER willing to give such ownership of art as its recreated off their IP to begin with. Sad but true.

Look at the Deadpool FAC hardbox back. That is art that Mondo with Phantom City Creative commissioned for the poster and now its on merch in another territory and Mondo didnt know about it. Star Wars Stout posters are grails in the poster world, but part of that deal was the art could be used for whatever else. I just bought a puzzle at a Dollar store with the art on it.

I feel ya tho. The Conundrum we are in... early supporters pay higher much like getting a launch console, xbox or ps4 etc. as you know later it will come down in price but you pay to have it then. We just aren't accustomed to everything being reprinted in steels , but it happens in regular blus and dvds all the time where first editions have slipcovers and subsequent do not.

I think this is about fair, we pay £40-£50 for these slip cover editions when the standard non-slipped Zavvi version is £20+. Particularly Kimchi who sometimes use WWA for their steels and stick a slipcover over it and suddenly I'm paying £25 more for it.

What isn't fair is marketing this as WEA, I wouldn't expect an Asian retailer to lose exclusivity rights for their Steelbooks such as UK retailers i.e. Zavvi/Zoom/HMV, so this seems like a first. But then again with a capricious hobby like this, such changes are to be expected.

HDZeta needs to comment, if they wish to...Usually agreements are confidential.
Universal dont need any agreement from HDZeta, they have the rights on all artworks and the movie. Further, for HDZeta they dont make any new artwork. The frontcover is the same helmet design they use 2009 for many editions (UK Steelbook, Australian Steelcase, German DVD Steelbook, etc.) and the backcover is the 2010 10th Anniversary amaray design. ;-)

Universal dont need any agreement from HDZeta, they have the rights on all artworks and the movie. Further, for HDZeta they dont make any new artwork. The frontcover is the same helmet design they use 2009 for many editions (UK Steelbook, Australian Steelcase, German DVD Steelbook, etc.) and the backcover is the 2010 10th Anniversary amaray design. ;-)

I get what you are saying as you're approaching from a different angle...I don't know whether HDZeta is a licensee for Universal in China BUT there must be a contract somewhere in place otherwise they couldn't use that Artwork.

I get what you are saying as you're approaching from a different angle...I don't know whether HDZeta is a licensee for Universal in China BUT there must be a contract somewhere in place otherwise they couldn't use that Artwork.

I'm thinking Universal has contracts with hundreds of companies and in some cases they make the same deals which are most likely time related.
Maybe something like this: You'll have exclusive rights for this artwork for a period of 12 months. After that the exclusivity ends. The jargon is more lawyer like but you get the picture :)

• Thanks
Reactions: HUBMUSWELL
I'm thinking Universal has contracts with hundreds of companies and in some cases they make the same deals which are most likely time related.
Maybe something like this: You'll have exclusive rights for this artwork for a period of 12 months. After that the exclusivity ends. The jargon is more lawyer like but you get the picture :)

I'm not one of those who is bothered about another pressing as the HDZeta one is the Premium release, period :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: javiermendoza