Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: March 4, 2024
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £29.99

81HBkKU5PyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
HDR10 is static metadata (The picture is set for the entire film) and is 8 bit
DOLBY VISION is dynamic metadata (the picture is adjusted for every frame) and has 10-12 bit color depth and is proprietary
HDR10+ is a dynamic metadata format created by Panasonic/Samsung/20th Century Fox as a royalty-free alternative to DV. While it shares similarities with DV- its does not reach 12 bit color depth. Although royalty-free, they were late to game- and very few films are released with HDR10+ (and Netflix dropping it in favor of DV pretty much cements its fate).
One caveat, HDR10 is 10bit, not 8bit. It's kinda in the name ;)

• Haha
Reactions: C.C. 95
Typo! Nice catch! :D thanks, corrected! :thumbs:
Hahaha sure ;) the rest was bang on though. Even though hdr10+ is dynamic, I really don't see any difference over hdr10 on my set. DV on the other hand, the 12bit colour, and often the way it handles otherwise clipped whites and obscured shadow detail, really does make a difference. Disc depending obviously.

Reactions: C.C. 95
Hahaha sure ;) the rest was bang on though. Even though hdr10+ is dynamic, I really don't see any difference over hdr10 on my set. DV on the other hand, the 12bit colour, and often the way it handles otherwise clipped whites and obscured shadow detail, really does make a difference. Disc depending obviously.
It is a little disingenuous when people say that HDR10+ and DV are identical. There is a 67 Billion color difference. (And DV masters at a MUCH higher nit level than HDR10+)
But, yeah-no comparison between static HDR10 and dynamic DV. The Luminance and shadows alone on DV is game changer.
But you are correct that it also depends on who is doing the encoding. You can have a bad encode on any format. (Don't even get me started on on Fake HDR!)
So you probably have an LG TV am I right? If I remember correctly- only LG made TVs that did both DV and HDR10+.

Reactions: samdavies
It is a little disingenuous when people say that HDR10+ and DV are identical. There is a 67 Billion color difference. (And DV masters at a MUCH higher nit level than HDR10+)
But, yeah-no comparison between static HDR10 and dynamic DV. The Luminance and shadows alone on DV is game changer.
But you are correct that it also depends on who is doing the encoding. You can have a bad encode on any format. (Don't even get me started on on Fake HDR!)
So you probably have an LG TV am I right? If I remember correctly- only LG made TVs that did both DV and HDR10+.
LG TV'S don’t support HDR 10+

Panasonic TV’s support all HDR formats

Samsung Tv's support HDR 10 and HDR 10+ but don't support Dolby Vision

LG TV don’t support HDR 10+

Panasonic TV’s support all HDR formats
You're right. Only Panasonic, Hisence and TCL had both HDR10+ and DV.
That is really weird that Panasonic did that, since they were one of the three creators of HDR10+.
Why invite the enemy inside the gates? :LOL:
(and why didn't they throw in Technicolor and HLG for good measure?! :rofl: )

You're right. Only Panasonic, Hisence and TCL had both HDR10+ and DV.
That is really weird that Panasonic did that, since they were one of the three creators of HDR10+.
Why invite the enemy inside the gates? :LOL:
(and why didn't they throw in Technicolor and HLG for good measure?! :rofl: )
HLG is supported with most 4K TV manufacturers
It's used mostly with live TV broadcasts

Exactly that. It's so dependent on source and encode, but on the few examples where a disc has both hdr10+ and DV, switching between the two, it's really obvious on some discs.

Paul's already half answered that, but no, not LG. I've got a Panasonic 65GZ2000 OLED, which was the first panny with DV iirc. I think it was the only OLED at the time that wasn't using LG's panels. Excellent TV, I love it. Wish it had DV AI, but the dynamic & ambient HDR settings go someway to simulating it.