Godzilla - In theaters May 16, 2014

Drum18

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
[CONTAINER][MOVIE1]Title: Godzilla (2014)

Tagline: A king's arrival is never silent.

Genre: [GENRE]Thriller[/GENRE], [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Gareth Edwards[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Aaron Taylor-Johnson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ken Watanabe[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Elizabeth Olsen[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Bryan Cranston[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Juliette Binoche[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Sally Hawkins[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]David Strathairn[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]CJ Adams[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Carson Bolde[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Richard T. Jones[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Victor Rasuk[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Patrick Sabongui[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jared Keeso[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Luc Roderique[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]James Pizzinato[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Al Sapienza[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Brian Markinson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Yuki Morita[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Chris Shields[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Catherine Lough Haggquist[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Eric Keenleyside[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ken Yamamura[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Hiro Kanagawa[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]James D. Dever[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ty Olsson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Kurt Max Runte[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jill Teed[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Anthony Konechny[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2014-05-16[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]123[/RUNTIME]

Plot: Fifteen years after an 'incident' at a Japanese nuclear power plant, physicist Joe Brody joins forces with his soldier son Ford to discover for themselves what really happened. What they uncover is prelude to global-threatening devastation. An epic rebirth to Toho's iconic Godzilla, this spectacular adventure pits the world's most famous monster against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.[/MOVIE1][POSTER1]
szVwkB4H5yyOJBVuQ432b9boO0N.jpg
[/POSTER1][/CONTAINER]

From IMDB:
A giant radioactive monster called Godzilla awakens from its slumber to wreak destruction on its creators.

Director: Gareth Edwards
Writers: Max Borenstein (screenplay), Dave Callaham (screenplay), Frank Darabont (screenplay),
David S. Goyer (story)
Stars: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston, Ken Watanabe, Juliette Binoche, David Strathairn

Trailer:
[media=youtube]ECUbuBrbP1g[/media]#t=143

Attachments

• 532376_334848766598204_975994013_n.jpg
    532376_334848766598204_975994013_n.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 443
Last edited by a moderator:
Rumours are swirling that this film received an after-credits scene in select Asian territories that features a giant winged MUTO creating a hurricane and that it may be an American take on Mothra. If any Asian viewers can confirm or deny this, that'd be great! :ohno:

Reactions: Afa
I went to see this movie on the 15th. And here's my mini review:

What I loved:

CGI
Top-notch. Everything was amazingly done.

Sound
Incredible. 5 stars. The theater was about to collapse with the Godzilla's roars.

Respect to the original
The fact that they acknowledged the original Godzilla in so many parts in the movie was great.

What I liked:

Performances
Overall was very good.

The fights
Godzilla vs both MUTOs was awesome. I would have liked if they lasted more than they did.

What I didn't like:

Cheesy lines / Cheesy stereotypes
Busy guy works 24/7 - doesn't remember his birthday.
I gotta do this!!
Guy misses his family, they're separated, big hug at the end.

Story itself
Come on, this movie is called "Godzilla" and I only saw the leg and tail of Godzilla for almost the entire movie. Why should I care about a guy who lost his mother when he was a child. Why should I care about this same guy who loses his father and if he doesn't seem to care that much?

That's pretty much it. It's a fun movie. You have a good time but it wasn't what I was really expecting. Maybe it's my own fault for joining the hype so quickly.

My rating: 7/10

Your verdict on the film? :D

This is the GODZILLA film I've been dying to see! I absolutely FU**ING love this kick ass movie! :drool: :oohyeah: WOW! From the second it begins to the last shot of him entering the ocean! EEK! FU**ING EPIC! :scat: The films pace is phenomenal, not a single dull moment! Amazing characters! Beautiful cinematography! Everything worked so DAMN well for me, instant classic! Though I do wish it was longer (hoping for an Unrated/Extended/Directors Cut) :thumbs:

I was at the edge of my seat the entire time! His 1st roar made me wet myself! :p Seriously though, I haven't enjoyed a film this much in years! BEST Movie Experience... EVER! The KING of Monsters is back baby! :bow: Even the wife loved it! We're definitely gonna see it again! :movie: Cant wait to own the Blu-Ray!

NINJAS! You know what's next! My GODZILLA Collection... is coming! :oohyeah:

That by far is the best review by anyone on any film EVER:scat:.

Kids and Hubby arnt that botherd :( so pre order and NO cancellation for me:D.

Hoping some others at work / school have been and it sets them off:ohno:.

How dose it compare to Pacific Rim guys the music story HEART ?:movie:.

I went to see this movie on the 15th. And here's my mini review:

What I loved:

CGI
Top-notch. Everything was amazingly done.

Sound
Incredible. 5 stars. The theater was about to collapse with the Godzilla's roars.

Respect to the original
The fact that they acknowledged the original Godzilla in so many parts in the movie was great.

What I liked:

Performances
Overall was very good.

The fights
Godzilla vs both MUTOs was awesome. I would have liked if they lasted more than they did.

What I didn't like:

Cheesy lines / Cheesy stereotypes
Busy guy works 24/7 - doesn't remember his birthday.
I gotta do this!!
Guy misses his family, they're separated, big hug at the end.

Story itself
Come on, this movie is called "Godzilla" and I only saw the leg and tail of Godzilla for almost the entire movie. Why should I care about a guy who lost his mother when he was a child. Why should I care about this same guy who loses his father and if he doesn't seem to care that much?

That's pretty much it. It's a fun movie. You have a good time but it wasn't what I was really expecting. Maybe it's my own fault for joining the hype so quickly.

My rating: 7/10

Agree, 7/10

--> Loved: sound, visuals, easter eggs, Godzilla's ROAR!
--> Didn't bother: Aaron Taylor-Johnson performance, some cheesy stuff
--> Didn't love:
(don't push if you don't wanna be spoiled!)
Last chance!
For real this time!
-Godzilla/Cranston could have appeared more and those MUTOs looked like Transformers IMO.. the eyes were freaking LIGHTS!! Too metallic.. And like nobody noticed that the MUTO ripped into a mountain to eat radioactive waste until they opened a little window and saw light come in? ARE YOU SERIOUS??
Found the 3D to be somewhat blurry :/

--> Don't know how I feel about the ending

--> TIP: No scene after the credits ;-)

That by far is the best review by anyone on any film EVER:scat:.

Kids and Hubby arnt that botherd :( so pre order and NO cancellation for me:D.

Hoping some others at work / school have been and it sets them off:ohno:.

How dose it compare to Pacific Rim guys the music story HEART ?:movie:.

The only thing that Godzilla and Pacific Rim have in common is giant monsters, really. Pacific Rim has more comedy and it's more light-hearted at times. It doesn't take itself as seriously. It also has a booming rock music theme. Godzilla is very dark and realistic and it's music is just as gritty as everything else on screen.

With that said, I do think a Godzilla/Pacific Rim crossover film could still work. Check it out (includes some slight spoilers from Godzilla and Pacific Rim):

In 1954, the military tried to destroy Godzilla and they failed. He went underwater and was never seen again until the MUTOs arrived 60 years later. So where was he? Turns out that a dimensional portal opened at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean and sucked the Big G in.

Over in the Pacific Rim universe, the Kaiju arrive and the Jaegers are built to destroy them. When we meet the Becket brothers and Gipsy Danger at the beginning of Pacific Rim, Knifehead is set to become their fifth kill... so Gipsy has been in battle many times beforehand.

An onslaught of Kaiju come through the portal. The Pan Pacific Defense Corps and government keep this secret from the public and send out their best Jaegers, including Gipsy and Coyote Tango. Turns out that this sudden burst of Kaiju is because on the other side of the portal in the Kaiju's dimension, Godzilla is ripping **** apart.

Godzilla follows the Kaiju through into the world of Pacific Rim.

The Jaegers take on the Kaiju which leads to the inevitable Gipsy Danger vs. Godzilla. After an epic battle, the Beckets realize that Godzilla is fighting the Kaiju alongside them.

Gipsy Danger and Godzilla fight their way towards the portal to return Godzilla back to where he came from.

Godzilla escapes the Pacific Rim world and re-enters the Kaiju dimension. Here he destroys many Kaiju, but not without losing a bit of his blood and DNA in the process. He heads towards the gateway to his dimension, but turns around before going through. Atomic Breath! Everything seems to be destroyed. Godzilla leaves the dimension to return home.

Back in the Pacific Rim world, the Pan Pacific Defense Corps use a nuke against the portal. The portal shuts and they think they've won... when really, it only shut down because of the damage on the other side caused by Godzilla. They celebrate, but after time, the portal re-opens and the Kaiju return on a one-at-a-time basis again... the first Kaiju being Striker Eureka's first battle.

Back in the Godzilla world, the King of the Monsters returns and watches the dimension close down behind him. Everything's quiet until the MUTOs start talking. Godzilla turns away from where the portal was and swims off. The hunt begins. (this would explain how the male MUTO got from the Philippines to Janjira, Japan without Godzilla noticing)

Credits.

Mid-credit scene... we return to the Kaiju dimension. The Kaiju "creators" use Godzilla's DNA to design Slattern, their first Level 5 Kaiju.

I literally wrote that last night after seeing Godzilla for the second time. Almost every single dot connects. Legendary could EASILY do a Godzilla vs. Pacific Rim film if they wanted to.

"Yo, Legendary; if you just read that, my name's Kenneth Livitski and I write monster movies. Drop me a line through IMDb Pro if you'd like me knock out a screenplay for you." ;)

Last edited:
Tridon thay SHOULD employ you to get it right:scat:. THAT whould be one HELL of a crossover:drool:.

I am a little worried that I will compare the two too much:ohno: . Pacific Rim for me has just about everything a movie needs when viewing it.

The Hobbit The Desolation Of Smaug IS the best film all round I have ever seen at the Cinema. IF SOMEONE WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS had not mucked my Birthday up last year :angry: .

Pacific Rim could easily hold that title.

Some of the reviews about the humans in Godzilla are slightly concerning me also. A good on screen relationship is gold an can cannot be forced it is Made forever :drool:.

heres my more detailed review since i have had more time to let it soak. Im not a die hard fan, always been interested but my review is from the stand point of an ordinary movie goer with no prior knowledge of the mythology

pros:
1.brian cranston was amazing (his death was boring) i would liked it if he was main lead and his son died instead. That to me would've made the story way more emotional
2.cinematography was breath taking. Just gorgeous
3. the design of godzilla was epic (his roar, and his look were top notch) Just wish we saw a bit more

cons:
1.music was meh (didn't set the tone like pacific rim or any of zimmers scores)
2. godzilla was an after thought(This is my main concern) They talked about him in the beginning but that was it. Why was he going after the parasites to begin with ? where was he for the last 50 years ? i wanted to know more about godzilla since the movie is named after him. We got more story about the parasites and everyone else
3. The main lead was terrible. He had the same expressions through out the movie (i didnt feel any emotional connections to his character)
4. the fight scenes between godzilla and the parasites were cool but a bit grounded. I would've liked to see a bit more than just giant monsters fighting hand to hand
5. plot holes and illogical story about: radiation, fall out and blast radius (the mini nuke at the end, was still a nuke ! the damn helicopter was so close but nothing happened)
6. every time the parasites bit in one of those nukes, nothing happened ! its a bomb for christ sake lol
7. since the parasites feed off radiation, why was there no fall out in their wake ?
8. The whole military ops was a bit much and over done and not that spectacular to be honest

Totally agree with point one in your pros section.

Joe Brody believed that there was something more to the story of how the Janjira plant fell, yet, he wasn't around long enough to help Monarch or the armed forces tame the beasts. Bryan Cranston delivered a much more passionate performance than Aaron Taylor Johnson. I would have liked to see him stick around as the brains in the operation as clearly Johnson's role brought the braun.

Watched it last night at the midnight showing at bfi imax and loved every minute, except for the idiots talking during the film:angry:

You too? I was so annoyed today. Someone brought 3 young children with them to see this. One of the kids had to be 4 years old, and he wouldn't stop talking. This is a child, I can understand, but there were two older ladies who sat close to me that wouldn't shut up. So annoying!

We did not take our 2 kids till thay understood that moving talking made it horrendous for other movie goers. At least go at quiet times.

One set even took a 7 to 9 mounth old in for the first Hobbit then looked hard done to when one had to go out cos it was crying all the time.

To be fair mine are FANTASTC now trailers end thay stay sat.

Watanabe was so underused.. he seemed so disinterested

Did everyone know that Bryan Cranston wasnt the title character?? I thought he was going to be the lead since he was in trailers so much. I was so thrown off when he died so sudden and was thinking "is he going to be revived later?"

OH MY FU**ING NINJA! :ninja: WOW!!! EEK! This film has become way more EPIC on my second viewing! :scat:

According to Box Office Mojo:

Friday Report: 'Godzilla' Roars, Scores Biggest Opening Day of 2014

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3844&p=.htm

Godzilla ruled the box office on Friday with a stunning $38.5 million. Meanwhile, Neighbors and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 fell hard, while Million Dollar Arm failed to find the strike zone.

Playing at over 3,950 theaters, Godzilla's $38.5 million opening day is the biggest of the year ahead of comic book sequels Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($36.9 million) and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($35.2 million). It's also way above World War Z ($25.2 million), which was viewed as the most direct comparable title.

Weekend Projections
1. Godzilla - $98 million

2. Neighbors - $26 million
3. Spider-Man - $16 million

:movie:

Just got back from my second viewing this time on Imax and I have to agree, it was definitely better second time around.

If your sensitive please do not read (no spoilers)
If your going to the cinema where people have spent their hard earned cash please please shut the **** up! If you want to have a conversation go outside & ****ing do it! If your gonna eat, do it quietly & not ****ing make a song & dance about it! If your gonna bring your woman to the showing, teach her to shut the **** up! If she can't....leave her the **** at home! If she has to constantly ask questions about the movie, she's to ****ing thick to be out of the house! If your gonna jump & scream at every little thing then you shouldn't even be out with a woman cause your a bigger ***** & it's ****ing embarrassing!

So please please let other enjoy their movie going experience and just simply stay the **** at home!

Last edited: