Halloween (1978) - 35th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray SteelBook) [United Kingdom]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: October 21st, 2013
Purchase links:
Amazon.co.uk
Base.com
Sainsbury's
Zavvi.com
For this very special release, Anchor Bay went back to the vaults to present this legendary terror classic as never before, including creating an all-new HD transfer personally supervised by the film's original cinematographer, Academy-Award® nominee Dean Cundey (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Apollo 13, the Back to the Future trilogy), a new 7.1 audio mix (as well as the original mono audio), a brand-new feature length audio commentary by writer/director John Carpenter and star Jamie Lee Curtis, an all-new bonus feature with Ms. Curtis, as well as selected legacy bonus features from previous ABE releases. Available in a collectible limited-edition steelbook package.

10842069-1376407779-970196.jpg

Last edited:
Would love to see them use the original poster art, but I reckon it'll be the same as the US digibook

Hmmm proper dilemma!! stick with Digi order or order the steelbook which is cheaper out of the two!? (which is really strange!!)

Last edited:
Hmmm proper dilemma!! stick with Digi order or order the steelbook which is cheaper out of the two!? (which is really strange!!)

If you live in the UK then the steel will be around half the price of the digi :)
Im still getting both ;)

And also yeh, i agree with cooey, it will probabley be the same art as the US digi which imo is a shame, but how can i complain about this...? They could do a blank steel with the words Halloween printed and i would still buy :D

Reactions: cooey
I think they should stick with the original poster image for the front on a black background (one of the few instances where this would look suitable), and it should have just the Halloween title (or even no text at all). The simpler the better for this one - for the front at least.

I know this look has been done before but the cover image they've used before is already perfect and pretty iconic so they'd be mad to change it.

As for the back and possible inside art...that's where they could do something interesting.

You forgot The Shining!!! Now that's masterpiece.

Totally agree. And I would also have to have POLTERGEIST in my top 5!

I'd also include Rosemary's Baby

All great films, agreed.

What I'm talking about, and remember, this is all my own opinion, not fact, are the top 5 horror movies that changed the landscape of horror movies in general. I should also add that I love the 1931 versions of Dracula and Frankenstein as well as some modern stuff.

SPOILERS FOLLOW.

Psycho is the benchmark for modern horror. A typical setting featuring seemingly typical characters. A sympathetic lead and a less than moral heroine. One that took the risk of killing it's main lead half way through.

The Exorcist is a movie that's stood the test of time. Dark, foreboding and dealing with very adult themes, most of them featuring a child.

The Wicker Man took audiences by surprise. This was at the tail end of Hammer's output and resembled a Hammer movie. We were used to vampires and witches, scenes at the end which involved Peter Cushing saving the day, not ones where the central character actually met his fate. Religious themes filled the narrative, but Howie's faith in God and the law lead to his demise.

Halloween started the modern slasher craze. But it was subdued. Offering character development, style, music and theme over graphic violence. It's creepy and tense and you actually care about the characters. Michael is simply a force of nature.

Finally The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, a movie that sickened audiences with its violence. Violence that upon reflection is very mild and often out of camera range. A true case of what you don't see is more terrifying than what you do see.

Sure, there have been many great horror movies in the years since. Often they've run with the themes or style of those mentioned above. Whether they're as good or even better is of course open to debate. I like The Shining but I don't love it. I love Rosemary's Baby, but it doesn't have that extra something which my top 5 do. I don't enjoy Poltergeist but I can see why many do.

This new remaster edition was my most wanted Horror steel, so very pleased indeed :LOL:

To my mind, there are only 5 truly, truly great horror movies and I intend to have them all in steelbooks.

1) Psycho - own
2) The Exorcist - need
3) The Wicker Man - ordered
4) Halloween - ordered
5) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - need

There is a Canadian steel for Exorcist, which i got last Christmas during their $9.99 sale along with sucker punch & the matrix. Its only one disc, but it's the Extended Directors cut edition :thumbs:

Reactions: tenderheartbear
This new remaster edition was my most wanted Horror steel, so very pleased indeed :LOL:

There is a Canadian steel for Exorcist, which i got last Christmas during their $9.99 sale along with sucker punch & the matrix. Its only one disc, but it's the Extended Directors cut edition :thumbs:

I'm holding out for now in the hopes of a better release here. Thanks anyway.

I imagine it'll have the same artwork at the US digibook (which personally, I don't hate), but the theatrical poster art would be a bonus. Either way, I've placed my order.

To my mind, there are only 5 truly, truly great horror movies and I intend to have them all in steelbooks.

1) Psycho - own
2) The Exorcist - need
3) The Wicker Man - ordered
4) Halloween - ordered
5) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - need

All good movies but nothing is better than the Shining IMO, the greatest horror ever made! I don't know whether to go for the digibook or this steelbook with this now!

Last edited:
Might be worth for the Halloween fans to keep an eye on the Digibook coming out in USA HERE - at least you have a choice then :D

Last edited by a moderator: