I'm hanging my gloves up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCoffee

Premium Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just thought I'd make this as a sort of "Goodbye" thread, from myself to all you cool dudes who I've had the pleasure of sharing this passion with over the past 13 months!!

I made the very hard decision to stop visiting these forums and quit collecting steelbooks. It's been very tough to reach that decision...in fact it's took me almost two months to be decisive...but finally I'm there.

The game has changed SO much in the past 6 months alone. I have become increasingly baffled by the sheer volume of STEEL that is getting released worldwide this year. It's really mind blowing. For me at least, I've ran out space...money and love for all of the countless releases.

The fact that steelbooks are becoming almost like regular amarays now has taken all the collectibility out of the hobby for me. I just don't get that buzz anymore...it's not special for me.

I have a few GB's to honour but after those are all paid up i will be calling time on my collection.

It's been a blast! I've had some really fantastic banter on here, I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of such a passionate and intelligent community! This place is honestly heaven for a steelbook nerd like me. :)

That makes it even harder to leave, but I can't keep looking at all these wicked releases without being tempted to keep buying!! Haha, call me a sucker but that's just the way I am. I can't afford it anymore...need to think about the future, start saving some of my wages for holidays, weddings, a house...ya know?!!...important stuff!

So yeah, that's it I guess. I'll be selling ALL my steelbooks over the next 4 months. Not here...before you ask. :p I just don't get enough buyers, haha!

THANK YOU to all the staff and fellow ninjas here for making my time within this community absolutely unforgettable!

HDN has set the standard for me...needless to say the bar is set VERY HIGH!!! :scat:

Last edited:
Farewell Dean Ashton.JPG

Take care and good luck with your new life without steelbooks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CaptainCoffee
Totally agree. The steelbooks have went viral in the past 6 months especially the UK. I really have to limit myself to a few a month and hope that I can get what I miss later. Bet you'll be back........

If it makes you feel any better CC, you just created the QUOTE OF THE YEAR in your thread coming from that of JimmyV.

hilarious!

Dang man. You will be missed.

Personally I can't quit at the moment. I have like $2.7 million on preorder. I'd have to cancel all of it and I think it might tilt the economy into a recession, or maybe even depression. Govy would have to bail out Zavvi and Amazon and then taxpayers would foot the bill. I would feel too guilty... then turn to the booze to drown my sorrows. Liquor stores would flourish with profits. Blu ray retailers would burn down the liquor stores in a jealous rage, thereby causing a riots in the streets. Mass hysteria.

See... being a big boss dog in the steelbook game is essential to keep the world running right proper.

"Yah. Keep tellin yourself that jimmyv" :thumbs:

Do what you gotta do, but hate to see you go .... maybe just chat it up in the "general" board. ;p

At about 100 posts/month for your 13 months, you gave a lot to the board. You will be missed, Cap'n.

When I started a few months before you, the members were clamoring for more, and there was alot of excitement and mock bellyaching about their expenditures come November 2012. I'd say most members are really getting their wish with every new major film getting a steel and some back catalog titles coming out. I like having the chance to get good movies in nice steels. But you have to be selective or you'll end up looking at your collection like, "What was I thinking?" For a title like World War Z, the cover is not impressive, and I don't want to buy it just because other members are posting on the GB thread. You have to be true to yourself and your priorities. It will be on TV soon enough and the art is not worth buying.

Maybe steels aren't special any more because everyone here is getting them. I think they are a small, small percentage of total sales. I'd say the biggest single thread to avoid is the "Pics of your Last Steelbook Acquired" thread. There are a bunch of posts of every new steel. You have seen so many pictures of the same steels and you have so many steels that it isn't special anymore and you have other things where your money could do you more good. It was good while it lasted, and you can still recover a portion of the money you've poured into this habit, so this is a good time to get out. Good luck, Cap'n!

Captain-Crunch-America.-The-First-Cereal-Avenger-600x800.jpg

Funny-memes-captain-crunch.jpg

Last edited:
Tough decision to make indeed and I salute you for that :thumbs:, life ain't about steelbooks and Blus but women & booz lol ;)

U will be missed my friend, oh btw does that mean U have not picked up IM3 Steelbook from Taiwan??? :naughty: ;)

All the best bud

Sad to see you go too, CC. I will miss your posts. Yes, I do agree about the overwhelming number of steels being issued now. I just get the ones I think are special. And dispose of those that turn out not to be worth collecting.

It is like collecting comics. No one in their right mind would try to buy every single comic being issued, would they? But what do I know anyway?

Good luck to you, buddy!

I think I speak for everyone when I say that you have been a valuable member of this community and that you should kindly donate your entire collection to be shared amongst the members of this forum :thumbs:

Tough decision to make indeed and I salute you for that :thumbs:, life ain't about steelbooks and Blus but women & booz lol ;)

U will be missed my friend, oh btw does that mean U have not picked up IM3 Steelbook from Taiwan??? :naughty: ;)

All the best bud

I have not got any of the IM3 steels on pre-order and I'm selling all my marvel steels. Probably one of the hardest things i've ever had to do....which is pretty sad. Lol! :(

Sad to see you go too, CC. I will miss your posts. Yes, I do agree about the overwhelming number of steels being issued now. I just get the ones I think are special. And dispose of those that turn out not to be worth collecting.

It is like collecting comics. No one in their right mind would try to buy every single comic being issued, would they? But what do I know anyway?

Good luck to you, buddy!

You have a very good point my friend! I am honestly contemplating collecting only the very special releases that are given the full treatment i.e. Blufans, HDZeta, Kimchi and future HDN releases. But even that is becoming frequent and expensive. :(

Sorry to see you leaving us mate. I wish you all the best and maybe we will see you around again. Take care! Rodrigo

Thank you, Rodrigo. I feel the few GB's i hosted were very successful and i at least contributed those in my time here. :)

I think I speak for everyone when I say that you have been a valuable member of this community and that you should kindly donate your entire collection to be shared amongst the members of this forum :thumbs:

Hey man, thank you for that! :thumbs:
We had some great debates during my time here....particularly regarding Zavvi. Haha....i won't say I've been proved correct over the past few months...or will i? ;)

As far as donating my collection goes....if there's anything i can't sell you can have it bud. :drool:

Reactions: rodtp
I'm pritty new to hdn but been collecting steels for a long time now and understand how you feel bud, i love collecting steelbooks but with zavvi just throwing them out with no thought of what people want out of a steelbook just seems to be pi--ing people off and
getting bored of them, rant over, good luck for the future bud, i'm sure if it carrys on like this you won't be the only one quitting :tear:

I have been collecting steels for 5 years now and have recently experienced the burnout as well. I can tell you that once the money piles up from your sales the regret fades quickly. I thank you for your GBs and wish you the best of luck.

-Dano

Status
Not open for further replies.