Independence Day (Blu-ray SteelBook) (FilmArena Collection #36) [Czech Republic]

luke98

Premium Supporter
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: July 18,2016
Purchase link: Filmarena
Prices: 899 CZK - 1898 CZK (Steelbook with Alien Attacker Ship)
Notes: Limited to 1001 copies
HDN Group Buy: hosted by carllenc (CLOSED)

received_1357065380976679.jpeg ID4.jpg
film_22578_3.jpg

film_22578_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I too must be in the minority, don't mind it at all, sure, maybe a different picture on slip could of been used, really liked the cover from old VHS tape, but definitely don't hate it, haven't got the newer Steelbook yet so look forward to adding this package, minus the ship, already got.
Have never been disappointed with ANY FAC, was worried with the lenti flip flop with Jurassic World, turned out to be very good IMO....

hmm. interesting.

not exactly what I was expecting. the pic of will smith on the front is a little too... will smith-y... er somethin.

a bit disappointed if I'm honest.

• Thanks
Reactions: Maximus15
Exactly.

The comparison with Blufans was very accurate I think. In this instance, we're now looking at around 20 euros for the slip, cards, booklet and lenticular - which is something rather less that value for money. If the basic steel were selling for 25 euros or so it woudl be more acceptable; but patently it is not. In point of fact, for a relatively old film, the basic steel itself is pricey at 18 Euros

Plus, as someone else pointed out, the release schedule has gone to pot.

@chunk - It is strictly 1001 numbered - and the ship (which is blooody pricey for a piece of cheap plastic) is optional, and the latter comes with the artbook. The limitation to 1001 still in no way justifies the price.
As I have opined elsewhere, this should be up at 799czk tops, and ideally 699 I won't even go into the pricing of the attacker ship either at FA or elsewhere!

The greater point is that this doesn't bode well for the pricing of future WEA (which one assumes will materialize at some point down the line)

Thanks jack;) I'm not liking the prices either

The reason I started buying fac was cos they did great value for money releases, I often would find myself cancelling my zavvi orders in favor of going with fa for a few quid extra, these releases were more affordable to me then some of (for example) blufans releases, so as a collector I was really happy to have a nice alternative, but as the prices seem to be creeping up for wwa steels it's something I'm gonna have to think about for future purchases.. maybe I'm just gonna have to go for films that are extra special to me and skip a lot of the others.. which is a shame cos I really enjoy getting fac releases. I don't have a lot of money so I have to be very selective anyway so I do hope that fac (in the future) keep their prices lower for catalogue title's and only raise the price a bit for their new releases and when they do world exclusive steelbook's.

@chunk I don't think that Will Smith's contract is involved in this matter. There are plenty original movie posters, all without Will Smith. They have high recognition value and represent the movie much better. So I wonder why the studio would refuse to use those and to choose a new mockup instead.

I think many would agree with me that these would have been much better choices:

independence-day-film-poster.jpg

Lol, yeah it was a bit of a long shot hehe:thumbs: I just thought, ya never know with these Hollywood actors:emb: I still think it's strange that fa did a close up of the same pic of Will that's on the back of the steelbook, I do wonder if they weren't getting a lot of wiggle room when they were trying to get artwork approval.

I like the artwork you posted:thumbs: I think I would've been happy with any of those choices, fa could've done some nice ship embossing and added some texture:thumbs:

Whenever I see the space ships in this film it always makes me think of that mini series I loved in the 80's... V:drool:
81eYs-R5f+L._SL1500_.jpg

So wait, only the attacker ship edition has the lenti?

That's disappointing.

No, the lenticular comes with the numbered edition.
The only option to either numbered or unnumbered is to add the Attacker Ship, in which case you get the art book as well to (slightly) sweeten the blow of paying thirty quid for the piece of plastic!

Thanks jack;) I'm not liking the prices either

The reason I started buying fac was cos they did great value for money releases, I often would find myself cancelling my zavvi orders in favor of going with fa for a few quid extra, these releases were more affordable to me then some of (for example) blufans releases, so as a collector I was really happy to have a nice alternative, but as the prices seem to be creeping up for wwa steels it's something I'm gonna have to think about for future purchases.. maybe I'm just gonna have to go for films that are extra special to me and skip a lot of the others.. which is a shame cos I really enjoy getting fac releases. I don't have a lot of money so I have to be very selective anyway so I do hope that fac (in the future) keep their prices lower for catalogue title's and only raise the price a bit for their new releases and when they do world exclusive steelbook's.

Couldn't have put it better.

Frankly 699 czk is about right - 799 is pushing it for an old catalogue title.

Way we are going, the next WEA of a new release is looking likely to be as much as 1200 czk, or maybe more if it is two disc/3D.

Things seem to be in a bit of a muddle really: Many are still hurting over not getting a copy of TLS - as one person put it - "Please 500 to disappoint 1500; not good business ethics"
The new collectible number system has many (and not just the scalpers) up in arms because they can no longer buy direct as their number is too high.
The release schedule is in turmoil - There is a genuine wish from the top at FA to reduce the number or titles, yet we have new ones sprung on us at short notice (like this one); which I am sure is part of a tie-in with other (future) titles; leading to even more delays on titles long ago scheduled.

Add in the pricing approaching the ludicrious prices of Blufans, HDz and Manta, and it's not the happiest of pictures at the moment.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: boldnerd and chunk
No doubt the end product is going to be super good but I agree the price seems a bit odd for non 3D catalogue title. 699 was a sweet spot

+1. Skipped this release at the price of 899 czk. Would have bought it still at that price if the slip had blown me away, but at this point I will be happy with my €17 steel from Amazon.it.

• Thanks
Reactions: K.i.T
Lol, yeah it was a bit of a long shot hehe:thumbs: I just thought, ya never know with these Hollywood actors:emb: I still think it's strange that fa did a close up of the same pic of Will that's on the back of the steelbook, I do wonder if they weren't getting a lot of wiggle room when they were trying to get artwork approval.

I like the artwork you posted:thumbs: I think I would've been happy with any of those choices, fa could've done some nice ship embossing and added some texture:thumbs:

Whenever I see the space ships in this film it always makes me think of that mini series I loved in the 80's... V:drool:
View attachment 240779
yes! What a great mini-series. "V" needs some special treatment. Or at least blu-ray, packaged up with "V:The Final Battle"!

• Thanks
Reactions: Mobley and ty233
yes! What a great mini-series. "V" needs some special treatment. Or at least blu-ray, packaged up with "V:The Final Battle"!

I agree, I still watch it every 5 years or so(on dvd), would love to get it in steel though:)

Will Smith really is an absolute bad ass in this movie and to be honest he makes what could have been just a bog standard scifi flick a scifi tour de force! Don't get me wrong I'm not in the WS fan club or anything but he was to cool for school in this!
So why shouldn't he be on the cover of the slip?

• Thanks
Reactions: Maximus15