• Maybe!

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Per Zdnet:

Sources close to the company said that while Apple is not planning to hold an event in February, it will in March. Expected at the event is the long awaited arrival of the iPad 3. That is, according to AllThingsD.
It appears to be in line with recent reports that manufacturers were building and increasing production of the device in its factories in China.
6412274499_c6c1fce560_z.jpg

DigiTimes suggested late last year that the iPad 2 would decline in production from 14–15 million devices in the fourth quarter by a third to 4–5 million by the first quarter. It is thought that over 9 million units of the iPad 3 will be made by the first quarter, filling the deficit left by the tablet’s predecessor, in anticipation of an second quarter release.
Many have guestimated that the iPad 3 — that is, if it will in fact be called that — will be slightly thicker to accommodate a larger battery, which in turn would power possibly 4G LTE technologies for faster mobile broadband, and a Retina display — or “something close to it”.
But for now, we know as much about the iPad 3 as we do about Martian dust. We know it is in existence, but it continues to amaze even the most intellectually-minded people this world has to offer.
An Apple spokesperson declined to comment. No surprise there.

Likely to be released March 7, according to CNN:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Apple is expected to announce the iPad 3 at a "special event" in California next week.
Apple sent emails to journalists on Tuesday, inviting them to the private event in San Francisco on March 7, at 10 a.m. Pacific Time.
The invitation (pictured above) included a photo of someone using an iPad, with a single line: "We have something you really have to see. And touch."
The company did not immediately return a request for comment on whether it will indeed be the iPad 3.

Apple shares, which had already been trading higher before the announcement, ended the day up 1.8% and hit another all-time high. The company is getting close to a market value of $500 billion.
If the March 7 event does bring the third iteration of Apple's (AAPL, Fortune 500) popular tablet, it will come nearly one year after the announcement of the iPad 2. It's unclear what changes the iPad 3 will bring -- though rumors abound, as they always do with a new Apple device.

There is speculation that the iPad 3 may come with a stronger, bigger battery -- making the new tablet thicker than the previous version. Another oft-cited rumor is retina display: a high-pixel-count screen that's already available on the iPhone 4S.
Other reports claim the iPad will come with a faster processor, a better camera, the Siri voice assistant and the ability to run on 4G cell networks.
There is also chatter that the iPad 3 could be about $60 more expensive than its predecessors.
Both the original iPad and the iPad 2 started at $499 for Wi-Fi-only and $629 for 3G. After the iPad 3 is released, those older models will likely get a price cut: When Apple announced the iPad 2, it began selling the original iPad for $399.

The last time Apple updated its tablet, the company focused on both hardware and performance. The iPad 2 is 33% thinner than the original tablet, and twice as fast.

The iPad has largely dominated the tablet market, as sales of other devices -- including the Research in Motion (RIMM) BlackBerry Playbook, the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Motorola Mobility's (MMI) Xoom -- have disappointed.

By comparison, Apple sold a record 15.4 million iPads in its latest quarter -- more than double the amount sold over the same quarter in 2011. Those strong tablet sales helped push Apple to record quarterly revenue of $46.3 billion and record profit of $13.1 billion.

Had my iPad 1st gen from day one on preorder and I use it everyday, will most likely get this when it's out :)

If the current rumours about a smaller and cheaper model is true it might be the one my girlfriend gets. She doesn't need the huge memory. She just wants to play battleships, Facebook and her email.

If the current rumours about a smaller and cheaper model is true it might be the one my girlfriend gets. She doesn't need the huge memory. She just wants to play battleships, Facebook and her email.
Well we gonna find out in couple of days ;)

hmmm... is there a comparison review between the new iPad and the new Asus anywhere on web?

Im getting my first tablet and its between these two at the moment but would love to see a side by side comparison.

Hmmm, I'll either be getting this new Ipad 3 or I'll pick up the Ipad 2 since it'll be $100 cheaper. I do like the new screen and the better processor on the ipad 3 though.

Also, gotta check out that Asus transformer to see what the hype is about.

love my ipad2, but still considering the ipad3.. it'll probably take me seeing someone else with one, then i'll HAVE to have it :rolleyes:

The iPad 3 is literal hot

electronics_iPadthermal-thumb-598xauto-4312.jpg

n the images above, higher temperatures show as reds and oranges that shade to bright white.

The new iPad can run significantly hotter than the earlier iPad 2 model when running an action game, Consumer Reports testers have found.

Using a thermal imaging camera, Consumer Reports engineers recorded temperatures as high as 116 degrees Fahrenheit on the front and rear of the new iPad while playing Infinity Blade II.

Our tests follow numerous complaints now cropping up about how hot the new iPad can get while doing processor-intensive tasks, such as gaming or downloads.

We ran our test while the new iPad was propped on the iPad Smart Cover, plugged in, and after it had run Infinity Blade II uninterrupted for about 45 minutes. The device's 4G connection was not turned on, though its Wi-fi link was. The ambient room temperature was about 72 degrees. (Apple recommends not using the iPad in environments over 95 degrees.)

We also ran the test with the new iPad unplugged. Then we compared the temperature of the new iPad to that of the iPad 2 using the same tests.

When unplugged, the back of the new iPad reached temperatures as high as 113 degrees Fahrenheit. It was only when plugged in that it hit 116 degrees. The hottest areas weren't evenly distributed throughout the iPad's back, but were concentrated near one corner of the display as shown in the images taken from the rear of the device above.

So, when plugged in, the back of the new iPad became as much as 12 degrees hotter than the iPad 2 did in the same tests; while unplugged the difference was 13 degrees.

During our tests, I held the new iPad in my hands. When it was at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period.

We also noticed that the new iPad wasn't charging while the game was running and it was plugged in. In fact, the battery continued to drain. It charged normally, however, when we weren't running a game.

—Donna L. Tapellini

http://news.consumerreports.org/ele...pad-hits-116-degrees-while-running-games.html

Response from Apple:

Apple responds to supposed iPad heat issues
Posted on Tuesday, March 20th, 2012 at 8:08 am. PT

Written by Jim Dalrymple

There have been a couple of stories on the Internet in the past few days that say the iPad runs a bit hotter than its predecessor. Apple on Tuesday responded.

“The new iPad delivers a stunning Retina display, A5X chip, support for 4G LTE plus 10 hours of battery life, all while operating well within our thermal specifications,” Apple representative Trudy Muller, told The Loop. “If customers have any concerns they should contact AppleCare.”

I have been using the new iPad for almost two weeks — a week before it was released to the public and I’ve seen no heat issues. I use my iPad everyday over LTE and Wi-Fi, holding it my hand and on my lap and the device doesn’t get hot.

I have also used all types of applications in my testing of the iPad including GarageBand, iMovie, iPhoto and other music apps. These app take advantage of the faster processor, graphics and Retina display, all without issue.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/03/20/apple-responds-to-supposed-ipad-heat-issues/

Interesting however Ive had my new iPad since Friday and have used it continuously without interruptions for at least 2 hrs doing all sort of thing from gaming (RealRacing 2, Airsupremacy etc) to browsing on forums and websites without any heat issues bud, I'm actually typing this on it while I'm playing a game for over an hr mirroring it on the big screen :D